This is Getting Pathetic

HoosierCat

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6404

According to an NFL source Tuesday night, the Bengals worked out one of their former players when linebacker Ed Hartwell returned to Paul Brown Stadium during Tuesday's off day.

In confirming the visit, Hartwell agent Harold Lewis said the Bengals were impressed with his client's physical condition but if they do sign him it might not be until next week.

Several factors are at play, notably the status of middle linebackers Ahmad Brooks and Caleb Miller. Brooks (groin) hasn't played since the second game of the season and Miller (back) not since the third game and the indication is the club needs to get some definitive word heading into the second half of the season.

Signing other teams' castoffs is one thing...now it looks like we are reduced to signing our own castoffs. :huh:

You have to think this is seriously the bottom of the barrel...

All they did was bring him in for a workout.

Maybe he is in better shape, more healthy, than he was before.

I look for Ahmad and/or Caleb to go on the IR soon . . .

I've said before, and will say again, that I don't believe we'll see Brooks again this season. As for Caleb the Hobbit, he can't get pushed into Mt. Doom quick enough for me.

I had hopes for Hartwell last summer, but if he's getting cut while they keep the likes of Miller and pick up players like The Boar Hunter...I can only assume he sucks real bad.

Funny how this guy was looked upon as a pretty good signing and then POOF, he was gone. What I can't figure out, is why they didn't bring him back sooner seeing as how he went through training camp and knew what was going on with the defense ?? I just don't see how he could have sucked THAT bad. Maybe something else we weren't aware of ?? Anyway, just saying is all...

WHODEY !!!

I believe the reason we cut him was because he still was not fully healthy, and Marvin was looking for LBs that were versatile enough to play special teams. Now that we are starting to get some of our LBs back, and there is not a need for Hartwell to play STs, it does not hurt to bring a healthy Hartwell in for a workout. I think we have seen that last of Brooks this season (something tells me he has a misdiagnosed sports hernia, and not just a pulled groin), and if that is the case, Hartwell would be a welcome addition to our LB corp. in my opinion.

The bigger question is which one of the two, Brooks or Miller is going to go on IR?

I know that Brooks dressed for practice a couple of weeks ago and worked on the side. I don't recall hearing much about Millers status, other than he has I believe a back injury. So, Brooks has been out longer, but Miller has been injury plagued since the day we drafted him.

I believe the reason we cut him was because he still was not fully healthy, and Marvin was looking for LBs that were versatile enough to play special teams. Now that we are starting to get some of our LBs back, and there is not a need for Hartwell to play STs, it does not hurt to bring a healthy Hartwell in for a workout. I think we have seen that last of Brooks this season (something tells me he has a misdiagnosed sports hernia, and not just a pulled groin), and if that is the case, Hartwell would be a welcome addition to our LB corp. in my opinion.

I think I remember reading something to that affect as well, like they knew he wasn't 100% when they brought him and since he wasnt't good enough to start and he wasn't playing teams then he got cut giving him an opportunity to get healthy.

Whatever the case we need help at lb, did anyone see Landon make a horrible read on that big run that Parker had right before the half, that was just horrible. Hartwell has to be just as good or better than Scheagel, they're both big and slow at this point.