What ever Coach Lewis!

combatbengal

Here are a few stories that are out on the Bengals:

Lewis: 'Playoffs are possible'

Lewis' fifth Bengals team is now three games behind first-place Pittsburgh in the AFC North, but still thinking playoffs.

What ever Coach Lewis. We can't even win the games that we're supposed to win. How in the h%^% do you expect to win out?

Players get extra day to regroup

Coach Marvin Lewis gave his Bengals players the day off Monday, despite the 24-13 loss to the Steelers the day before.

I say give them all wek off. It's not like you prepare to win anyways!

Here are a few stories that are out on the Bengals:

Lewis: 'Playoffs are possible'

Lewis' fifth Bengals team is now three games behind first-place Pittsburgh in the AFC North, but still thinking playoffs.

What ever Coach Lewis. We can't even win the games that we're supposed to win. How in the h%^% do you expect to win out?

Players get extra day to regroup

Coach Marvin Lewis gave his Bengals players the day off Monday, despite the 24-13 loss to the Steelers the day before.

I say give them all wek off. It's not like you prepare to win anyways!

did you know that there are 9 games left to be played, what do you expect him say. He still has to try and win as many games as possible, that is his job.

Playoffs are not possible. The Bengals can't beat the Steelers, Browns, and I don't think they will win against Baltimore in the second matchup. Add on top of that I don't think they can beat the Titans. So you might as well start losing to insure the Bengals of a high draft pick. What a waste of my time this season was. I love this team a lot, but when they continue to make the same mistakes every week it just gets really frustrating to watch. I just wish the Bengals had a good D that could keep the Bengals in games in the first half.

From Hobs....

Lewis is a firm believer that if he acted as a coordinator during the week, then he would have to be one during the game and he just doesn't think he can do both and give the game proper attention. Plus, he has confidence in the experience of the guy he has calling the defense, Chuck Bresnahan, a NFL veteran of 14 seasons who has made the playoffs in all of his stops.

:o :o :o :o :o

That right there scares me more than anything!!!!!

From Hobs....

Lewis is a firm believer that if he acted as a coordinator during the week, then he would have to be one during the game and he just doesn't think he can do both and give the game proper attention. Plus, he has confidence in the experience of the guy he has calling the defense, Chuck Bresnahan, a NFL veteran of 14 seasons who has made the playoffs in all of his stops.

:o :o :o :o :o

That right there scares me more than anything!!!!!

The dreaded vote of confidence. Uh oh...

C'mon it's over. I know the Bengals can't beat the Titans and the Bills because of their styles. 6-10

They may win a game or two more than that but yeah, the season is kaput.

The outrageously frustrating part is that *finally* we get a schedule that's fairly easy, and it's the year the team falls apart. Even last year's team would probably be 10-6 with this schedule.

C'mon it's over. I know the Bengals can't beat the Titans and the Bills because of their styles. 6-10

They may win a game or two more than that but yeah, the season is kaput.

The outrageously frustrating part is that *finally* we get a schedule that's fairly easy, and it's the year the team falls apart. Even last year's team would probably be 10-6 with this schedule.

Maybe, maybe not. There certainly hasn't been anything easy about the sked so far. Of the Bengals' seven opponents to date, only the Jets have a losing record. Overall, those teams are a combined 30-21 (.588). Even if you take out the Bengals they are still 25-19, or .568.

Only three other teams have faced so many winning clubs so far, per coldhardfootfacts.com's quality standings: Tampa (4-4), Chicago (3-5) and Houston (3-5). Only Tampa has won more than one of those games (they've won 2).

In short, this season has been insanely brutal to date. The good news, such as it is, is that from here on out the sked looks considerably easier, with our next 9 opponents a combined 26-39, or .400. The bad news, of course, is that all that means is that the bengals will end up in the 6-8 win range -- just enough to make sure they miss out on all the elite players in the draft.

What is he supposed to say ? "We`re a lame duck team,

and our season is over with 9 games to go."

Is it likely ? No. Is it possible ? Yes.

Until the numbers prove they are out, Lewis has to be positive to the team and fans. But the man ain't stupid. He knows the chances of making the playoffs with this team, this team right here, is ZERO. My interests are which coach gets fired before the season ends? Which players go public and call out which coach? Its Soap Opera time in Bengaldom.

What is he supposed to say ? "We`re a lame duck team,

and our season is over with 9 games to go."

Is it likely ? No. Is it possible ? Yes.

Until the numbers prove they are out, Lewis has to be positive to the team and fans. But the man ain't stupid. He knows the chances of making the playoffs with this team, this team right here, is ZERO. My interests are which coach gets fired before the season ends? Which players go public and call out which coach? Its Soap Opera time in Bengaldom.

Bengals fans these are the Days of our Lives.

Maybe, maybe not. There certainly hasn't been anything easy about the sked so far. Of the Bengals' seven opponents to date, only the Jets have a losing record. Overall, those teams are a combined 30-21 (.588). Even if you take out the Bengals they are still 25-19, or .568.

Only three other teams have faced so many winning clubs so far, per coldhardfootfacts.com's quality standings: Tampa (4-4), Chicago (3-5) and Houston (3-5). Only Tampa has won more than one of those games (they've won 2).

In short, this season has been insanely brutal to date. The good news, such as it is, is that from here on out the sked looks considerably easier, with our next 9 opponents a combined 26-39, or .400. The bad news, of course, is that all that means is that the bengals will end up in the 6-8 win range -- just enough to make sure they miss out on all the elite players in the draft.

I was looking mainly forward - if we weren't in such bad shape, we have Miami, St. Louis, Arizona, San Fransisco and Buffalo on the schedule. That should be 5 gimmes. Neither Seattle or KC is all that good, Cleveland's improved but still mediocre. In my view, we've played 3 decent teams, one great team, one good team, and one bad team.

Also, taking your stats together (minus Bengals games) for the full year and you get 25+26=51 wins and 19+39=58 losses. So our *total* schedule is an aggregate 51-58 after week 8. That's not all that great, particularly compared to the really tough scheds we've had in years past.

Overall, those teams are a combined 30-21 (.588). Even if you take out the Bengals they are still 25-19, or .568.

Take out New England's record and I'm guessing that over-all combined record is .500, or worse if you also add-in Pittsburgh.

There's nothing "brutal" about Baltimore, Cleveland, Seattle, the Jets or Chiefs, cmon.

The Bengals' just aren't good enough to beat anyone other than the worst of the worst at home, and even those games were very close.

The Bengals' are just a terrible, terrible team and another one of Marvin Lewis' teams have disappointed.

There's no sugar coating incompetence.

The Bengals' are still the running joke of the NFL and I don't see that changing any time soon. They're the team everyone wants to schedule their homecoming against every year.

Carson Palmer knows he's doomed here, he can put up some solid #'s, earn his dough and retire. I see nothing in his actions or demeanor that says "I want a SuperBowl." More like "I just want to survive and go home at night to my wife and forget about the silly tiger striped uniform I have to wear every Sunday."

Reality's a bitch in Cincinnati.

Overall, those teams are a combined 30-21 (.588). Even if you take out the Bengals they are still 25-19, or .568.

Take out New England's record and I'm guessing that over-all combined record is .500, or worse if you also add-in Pittsburgh.

There's nothing "brutal" about Baltimore, Cleveland, Seattle, the Jets or Chiefs, cmon.

The Bengals' just aren't good enough to beat anyone other than the worst of the worst at home, and even those games were very close.

The Bengals' are just a terrible, terrible team and another one of Marvin Lewis' teams have disappointed.

There's no sugar coating incompetence.

The Bengals' are still the running joke of the NFL and I don't see that changing any time soon. They're the team everyone wants to schedule their homecoming against every year.

Carson Palmer knows he's doomed here, he can put up some solid #'s, earn his dough and retire. I see nothing in his actions or demeanor that says "I want a SuperBowl." More like "I just want to survive and go home at night to my wife and forget about the silly tiger striped uniform I have to wear every Sunday."

Reality's a bitch in Cincinnati.

I couldn`t imagine ignoring facts, just so I could

continue to to be miserable.

The Bengals are leading the NFL with IR`d players.

They are banged up at WR, RB, O-line and decimated

at LB. They have played 3 of the top Defenses in the

NFL (Stealers #1, Ravens #2 and Patriots #3).

The Chiefs have the 11th ranked Defense and the

Seahawks have the 13th ranked Defense.

KC and Seattle are ranked 1 and 2 as the toughest

places to win on the road as far as their home records

go over the past 10 years or so.

Show me another team that is as banged up,

has had 3 players suspended, has faced as

tough of a schedule, and that has a winning record.

So our *total* schedule is an aggregate 51-58 after week 8. That's not all that great, particularly compared to the really tough scheds we've had in years past.

Well, that's now. We'll see where it ends up in nine weeks. And that doesn't change the fact that the sked, as we all figured before the season, was heavily front loaded. What I predict we'll find out over the next nine games is that, contra Shula, the bengals are not a "terrible, terrible team," just an average one. That it is, in fact, pretty much the same team as last year's, which shouldn't surprise anyone since they didn't make any substantial changes in the offseason.

And my prediction for the coming offseason is: more of the same. It will be 2007 redux: we'll hear about how we were 6-10/7-9/8-8 even with 347 injuries; how we'll be so much better if/when Pollack or Odell or Brooks or Henry or Perry or the other Perry or Henderson or Irons or [insert player name here] get back; how the draft and keeping our own are the answer and FA never works except if you're the Pats; and on and on.

And my prediction for the coming offseason is: more of the same. It will be 2007 redux...

I doubt it. Last seasons strategy in free agency was a fairly unique occurance and fairly predicatable due to the number of important free agents the Bengals were determined to keep and the reasonable expectation that the team, if kept largely intact, was a fringe playoff contender. Not only hasn't that happened, but the Bengal players heading into free agency this year no longer appear to be the important building blocks they were once thought to be. Justin, Thornton, B-Rob, Madieu, Landon, Caleb, Dexter, and others are all sitting on the most fragile of bubbles, and I would expect few of them to be back. That, and an endlessly increasing cap should free up far more room than the Bengals had to work with last season.

To be perfectly fair, I agree that they'll continue passing on the biggest and most expensive names in free agency, and that will always enrage Joe Bengalfan, but such is life.

Well, that's now. We'll see where it ends up in nine weeks.

I don't see any of those teams turning it around. They're bad. We should beat them. This lineup just isn't that good.

And that doesn't change the fact that the sked, as we all figured before the season, was heavily front loaded. What I predict we'll find out over the next nine games is that, contra Shula, the bengals are not a "terrible, terrible team," just an average one.

The schedule is front loaded, but it wasn't that hard. Last year's 8-8 team would have done better, in my opinion, than 2-5 against the likes of the Chiefs, Seahawks, etc. I think that team would have been 4-3. This year, I think we'll find out that this team can usually only beat very bad teams. And probably not all of them.

That it is, in fact, pretty much the same team as last year's, which shouldn't surprise anyone since they didn't make any substantial changes in the offseason.

The changes this year aren't so much personnel as 1) Even more &(*&(*ing injuries, 2) Far worse execution, and 3) Certain people completely disengaging mentally from the team.

And my prediction for the coming offseason is: more of the same. It will be 2007 redux: we'll hear about how we were 6-10/7-9/8-8 even with 347 injuries; how we'll be so much better if/when Pollack or Odell or Brooks or Henry or Perry or the other Perry or Henderson or Irons or [insert player name here] get back; how the draft and keeping our own are the answer and FA never works except if you're the Pats; and on and on.

Hope does spring eternal. What the heck else is there in the offseason - the Reds aren't providing much of a distraction.

Justin, Thornton, B-Rob, Madieu, Landon, Caleb, Dexter, and others are all sitting on the most fragile of bubbles, and I would expect few of them to be back. That, and an endlessly increasing cap should free up far more room than the Bengals had to work with last season.

But they'll be no big signings, as you say, so...so what? All the space in the world only helps if you use it.

As for the, ahem, roster churn you mention, no worse than last year's. And all the replacement parts are already in place. Madieu and Dexter? Why we have ready replacement parts in White, Nduke, TJ Wright and everyone's favorite super-de-duper stud, Ethan "Killer" Kilmer.

Buh-bye Thornton? Well, hello Big Toe.

B-rob & Justin? Shoot, if they franchise Justin again I still won't be surprised, and anyhow we have Frostee, Fear the Fanene, Hype Henderson, maybe Pollack...and probably a high draft pick.

At LB? Jeanty and Brooks will stay, probably Landon. And a couple of the backups we picked up (Marshall? Schlegal?). Then there will be a draft pick...and of course the possible return of Thurman will loom again.

So, changes on defense? None aside from the draft needed, it's back to war with what we got!

Offensively, they might be forced to spend a little of that dough on a tackle...maybe even a FA, maybe Stacy. But as for o-line needs and another RB, it'll be off to the draft. And hopefully Irons is back and Henry doesn't get suspended again and Tab doesn't hurt his hip again...and of course the next four or so day 2 WRs we draft pan out.

SSDY, baby, SSDY.

Justin, Thornton, B-Rob, Madieu, Landon, Caleb, Dexter, and others are all sitting on the most fragile of bubbles, and I would expect few of them to be back. That, and an endlessly increasing cap should free up far more room than the Bengals had to work with last season.

But they'll be no big signings, as you say, so...so what? All the space in the world only helps if you use it.

As for the, ahem, roster churn you mention, no worse than last year's. And all the replacement parts are already in place. Madieu and Dexter? Why we have ready replacement parts in White, Nduke, TJ Wright and everyone's favorite super-de-duper stud, Ethan "Killer" Kilmer.

Buh-bye Thornton? Well, hello Big Toe.

B-rob & Justin? Shoot, if they franchise Justin again I still won't be surprised, and anyhow we have Frostee, Fear the Fanene, Hype Henderson, maybe Pollack...and probably a high draft pick.

At LB? Jeanty and Brooks will stay, probably Landon. And a couple of the backups we picked up (Marshall? Schlegal?). Then there will be a draft pick...and of course the possible return of Thurman will loom again.

So, changes on defense? None aside from the draft needed, it's back to war with what we got!

Offensively, they might be forced to spend a little of that dough on a tackle...maybe even a FA, maybe Stacy. But as for o-line needs and another RB, it'll be off to the draft. And hopefully Irons is back and Henry doesn't get suspended again and Tab doesn't hurt his hip again...and of course the next four or so day 2 WRs we draft pan out.

SSDY, baby, SSDY.

Marvin is a broken record with the same reasons the team fails, from year to year. His record is terrible over the last 2 seasons. Of course he's had Carson coming back from reconstructive knee body work, most of his last 3 years worth of top draft picks aren't playing. If Mike fires him despite all of this, could he get a top flight coach to want the job? I doubt it. Probably keep him one more year before throwing him under the bus.

They'll use all of their cap space. They always do. But they won't throw the bulk of their assets at one player because one player won't solve enough of their problems.

As for the, ahem, roster churn you mention, no worse than last year's.

The amont of churning isn't the key. The key is the difference in salaries. Last season the biggest loss was the modestly paid but expensive to keep Eric Steinbach, and role players like Kevin Kaesviharn and Tony Stewart. Compare that to the cap room created by allowing Justin, Thornton, B-Rob, Madieu, and Jackson to move on.

Not a chance. If the roster churns like I expect it to we'll see plenty of mid-level signings, although it's unlikey any will make headlines or satisfy your desire to see the next Corey Simon in stripes.

Stacey Andrews is one of the few players heading into FA that I can envision the Bengals trying to keep. That said, I can't see them chasing another RB high in the draft or in free agency. As for WR, I wouldn't expect them to burn a day one pick unless you know what happens. (Let's not speak of it out loud. It upsets the kids.)

Stacey Andrews is one of the few players heading into FA that I can envision the Bengals trying to keep. That said, I can't see them chasing another RB high in the draft or in free agency. As for WR, I wouldn't expect them to burn a day one pick unless you know what happens. (Let's not speak of it out loud. It upsets the kids.)

WAAAAAAAH...WAAAAHHHHH