Pittsburgh - the inside scoop - 2007 Game 1

duus

O.K., O.K., although I do still have a quest to find a site that maintains an area where I can rid myself of Steeler fans and their instinctive ability to insult everything non-Pittsburgh (I get enough of that every single day!), I readily recognize that I have made some 'web friends' here, and feel some obligation to pass along information. (a special thanks to those of you who threw me private messages! ... and, hey Mods! ... just do me this one favor and keep the Urine-goggle wearing fools out of this thread! :D )

First, before I start, I want to once again give my personal opinion on 'how to beat the Steelers':

Game plan ... play like the Patriots always play the Steelers:

1. Play defense to stop the run, even if it makes you otherwise uncomfortable versus the pass.

2. Force Roethlisberger to stay between the tackles.

3. On offense, use the short pass as part of the running game.

4. Take your chances with the deep ball along the side line.

5. Stress special teams on both sides (coverage and return).

The Patriots have done this game after game against the steelers. The Cardinals repeated this game plan a few weeks back.

On to the streaming quotes and general conversation snippets. This is an otherwise very busy week for me with my home business, graduate degree work, etc, so I apologize if this information is more limited than in the past.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sportscaster Joe Destio on ESPN Radio 1250 AM on Monday, after discussing the Steelers loss in Denver: "The Bengals show up on the schedule just in time."

Quote snippets from Junker and Crow morning show on ESPN Radio 1250 AM (Tuesday w/ Ed Bouchette) ...

(about trading for Chad Johnson) "Would you want him?" ... "Of course. He's not a trouble maker. I'm sure Ben would love to have him."

"Everybody likes Chad Johnson. He may be just sick and tired of losing. You don't see him going out and getting arrested."

"The division is a big mess and could get even worse this weekend."

"Now Cincinnati is looking at it and saying 'if we win ...'"

There was also some discussion about why Lamar Woodley is not getting on the field more.

Also some speculation that they may use him more versus the Bengals to get Palmer rattled and force him out of his game, so that he doesn't have the time like Cutler did.

Talking about 'rattling Palmer', they mentioned how bad the Bengals offensive line is.

Junker and Crow conversation with Woodley:

"What concerns you the most about them" ... "Cincinnati is a good team. You can't look at their record and say they are a bad team."

"Do you give them credit for still being a good team? Do you think less of them that they needed help from the Jets to get a win?" ... "A win is a win. That's all that counts."

Steeler's Weekly Press Conference:

Injury update

Ryan Clark had an inflamation of the spleen (he said it was due to a pre-existing condition and the altititude). He is expected to be o.k., but did not fly back from Denver with team.

Aaron Smith is doubtful at best.

Tuman should be back this week.

McFadden has a chance to be back this week.

Hines had some swelling but is expected to be fine.

Tomlin comments:

"We need to make people kick field goals in the red zone."

"Offensively, we do a nice job of scoring touchdowns in the red zone."

"Any regrets about the offensive gameplan? ... "No, really none. We win by attrition. We wear teams down, and by that I mean by running the football."

"What was different about what they did to stop the run?" ... "I don't think there was anything different. The game was no different than what we have done in the past."

"We have been very good on 3rd down this year. That is because of Ben's ability and his ability to create."

"The difference was 4th quarter running."

(about pass protection problems) "Ben gets hit in every football game. If we came from behind and win the football game, it wouldn't be an issue. It's football."

(about Ben's unique abilities) "He can throw the ball accurately from a variety of positions. He doesn't panic."

"TJ is playing great football. He has twice as many touchdowns as anybody on our football team."

"Of course Chad Johnson is a big play threat."

"They should get Rudi Johnson back. In his absence, Watson has performed relatively well."

"They got very solid corner play."

"We got our work cut out for us, but what else is new?"

"Palmer's resume is a little longer than Cutler's so we better be ready to roll our sleeves up. We better be on our 'A-Game'."

(concerning matchups against a Bengals team that has been losing) "We have to anticipate those guys being at their best, as they have to do with regard to us."

"I don't care how you package this week, it's a big game."

"In the past, Ike Taylor was one-on-one with Chad Johnson. Is that a possibility this weekend?" ... "Taking nothing away from Chad Johnson, but I think it would be disrespectful to TJ to make those assumptions at this point."

A lot of criticism before and during the press conference about the fact that the Steelers failed to run the ball enough against the Broncos.

[To me, there is no way Tomlin wants to repeat this questioning, and the running attempts will definitely be there this weekend]

O.K., O.K., although I do still have a quest to find a site that maintains an area where I can rid myself of Steeler fans and their instinctive ability to insult everything non-Pittsburgh (I get enough of that every single day!), I readily recognize that I have made some 'web friends' here, and feel some obligation to pass along information. (a special thanks to those of you who threw me private messages! ... and, hey Mods! ... just do me this one favor and keep the Urine-goggle wearing fools out of this thread! :D )

First, before I start, I want to once again give my personal opinion on 'how to beat the Steelers':

Game plan ... play like the Patriots always play the Steelers:

1. Play defense to stop the run, even if it makes you otherwise uncomfortable versus the pass.

2. Force Roethlisberger to stay between the tackles.

3. On offense, use the short pass as part of the running game.

4. Take your chances with the deep ball along the side line.

5. Stress special teams on both sides (coverage and return).

The Patriots have done this game after game against the steelers. The Cardinals repeated this game plan a few weeks back.

On to the streaming quotes and general conversation snippets. This is an otherwise very busy week for me with my home business, graduate degree work, etc, so I apologize if this information is more limited than in the past.

I think if we can tackle and not allow big plays from the secondary on defense we should be fine. On offense if can have balance and not turn the ball over I think we will be successful.

Honestly I don't think we have to worry about what they are doing so much as we have to make sure we are doing what we have to do, like tackling and not missing assignments on defense and not turning the ball over on offense.

Mark Madden on ESPN Radio 1250 AM on Tuesday afternoon ... with Seth Livingstone of USAToday

"Is Cincinnati still a dangerous team?" ... "I think they are. They have certainly been a disappointment. I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh comes out throwing again."

"Is there really any attack on Cincinnati's defense that won't work?" ... "Ha, ha, ha." (much laughing between the two of them at this point)

"Why single Chad out for trading?" ... "The finger has pointed in the general direction of Chad. If you could get something of quality for him right now, why not do it?"

"Did Chad Johnson sign his exit Visa when he blew up with Carson Palmer on the field?" ... "It certainly didn't help. If you are going to trade a Chad Johnson, you are not going to do it based on one incident."

Livingston in response to a question about the better teams in the division ... "I think the Steelers are still the team to beat in this division. I think the AFC North runs through Pittsburgh and I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point. Baltimore is the Steelers toughest competition."

"Aren't all of the AFC teams just playing for second behind the Colts and Patriots?" ... "Yes they are."

Duus?

I thought you were gone, man.....

Of course, we're all glad to have you back.....but still.....

Well, I hope it's not a complete compromise of my integrity, but it is 'Steeler Week' and a few private messages helped push me over the edge and return if only for the week. Apologies for going back on my word ... I'm sure one of the Urine fans will get under my otherwise thick skin and push me over the edge again. :angry: .

That's a very accurate assessment of the best way to beat Pittsburgh. No argument. I'll be surprised if Cinci can accomplish that difficult a task, but it's not impossible.

I think agree with the earlier post, I'm not concerned as much with what Pittsburgh does as much as what with we do and not making stupid f**king mistakes.

Duus?

I thought you were gone, man.....

Of course, we're all glad to have you back.....but still.....

Well, I hope it's not a complete compromise of my integrity, but it is 'Steeler Week' and a few private messages helped push me over the edge and return if only for the week. Apologies for going back on my word ... I'm sure one of the Urine fans will get under my otherwise thick skin and push me over the edge again. :angry: .

Hell, just stick around.....this is earth, it's populated with humans, and where there are humans, there is stupidity......not something you'll ever get away from shy of becoming a complete recluse, so why do it alone? As I said, stick around :-) Plenty of other Bengal fans to insulate you here.

Junker and Crow Show on ESPN Radio 1250 AM on Wednesday morning, with weekly guest Merril Hoge.

(on what went wrong with the Steelers on Sunday) ... "The thing that shocked me the most is how easily the Broncos moved the ball down the field at the end."

"Is Troy Polomalu trying to do too much?" ... "There's a purpose behind it. He is the one defender that teams try to set their whole offense around."

"What does this tell you about the team as we go on? Is there a blueprint about how to put points up on the Steelers now?" ... "Here's how Cincinnati approaches Pittsburgh. Don't worry about throwing short to intermediate. The best way to beat them is to go over the top. Those deep bombs. As long as you have the quarterback and can get the time, it's the best way to go about it."

(on cutting problem players and/or trading Chad Johnson) ... "Mike Brown is a waffler. There have been times when the paperwork was done to cut someone and he wakes up the next day and decides not to cut him. It would be a mistake for them to get rid of Chad Johnson. How do you replace him?"

[That's the first I have ever heard that Marvin wanted to cut players and Mike Brown "wakes up the next day" and decides not to.]

Missing practice today for the Steelers ... Clark (S), Ward (WR), Kriewaldt (LB), Aaron Smith (DE), Marvel Smith (LT)

A few early comments from Mark Madden, ESPN Radio 1250 AM on Wednesday afternoon:

"The Steelers had better be prepared to outscore the Bengals."

"Cincinnati isn't out of this."

"The Bengals got talent."

"Cincinnati is better than Denver. Cincinnati is better than Arizona."

Missing practice today for the Steelers ... Clark (S), Ward (WR), Kriewaldt (LB), Aaron Smith (DE), Marvel Smith (LT)

A few early comments from Mark Madden, ESPN Radio 1250 AM on Wednesday afternoon:

"The Steelers had better be prepared to outscore the Bengals."

"Cincinnati isn't out of this."

"The Bengals got talent."

"Cincinnati is better than Denver. Cincinnati is better than Arizona."

Interesting. Those comments sound almost...rational. Have they started floridating the water in p-burgh or something? :lol:

Mark Madden interview with John Clayton on Wednesday afternoon:

"Aaron Smith is a huge loss isn't it?" ... "It really is. Besides say Richard Seymour, I'm not sure there is a better guy at that position."

"The Steelers face a stern test in Cincinnati don't they?" ... "You can break their confidence and not only get a victory, but an easy victory. It's a dangerous game, but remember you see a Bengals team that is very limited right now."

(reply to question concerning how the division will shake out) ... "The Browns still suck and will finish 6-10. I don't know if the Bengals can get to seven, and the Ravens are an eight win team. The Steelers will win the division by 2 or 3 games."

"Aaron Smith is a huge loss isn't it?" ... "It really is. Besides say Richard Seymour, I'm not sure there is a better guy at that position."

"The Steelers face a stern test in Cincinnati don't they?" ... "You can break their confidence and not only get a victory, but an easy victory. It's a dangerous game, but remember you see a Bengals team that is very limited right now."

(reply to question concerning how the division will shake out) ... "The Browns still suck and will finish 6-10. I don't know if the Bengals can get to seven, and the Ravens are an eight win team. The Steelers will win the division by 2 or 3 games."

mark madden needs some toothpate

mark madden needs some toothpate

No doubt.

True or not, a quote like that from a national figure (Clayton) should bother someone from within the locker room:

"You can break their confidence and not only get a victory, but an easy victory."

Quotes from Sean Salisbury, who was a guest on the Mark Madden Show:

Concerning Cincinnati Bengals -

"We know they can score. Two biggest things in this game. One, can the Bengals deal with the zone blitz and all of the different looks?

The other thing is that I fully believe the Bengals will have a difficult time dealing with the Steelers run game."

"I think they are the most immature team in football, on and off the field."

"They can beat Pittsburgh if they throw it all over the lot and force some turnovers."

"They sure as heck need some discipline to get their stuff together."

Quotes from Mike Ditka, responding to questions from Guy Junker and Eddie Crow on the the Junker & Crow Show on ESPN Radio 1250 AM on Thursday morning:

(responding to why the Steelers lost to Denver) ... "When they throw it more than they run it, they don't usually win."

"Defensively, were there some things exposed?" ... "They are still in terrific control of their division. Cincinnati, I think they are dysfunctional."

"How much dysfunction can a team survive with?" ... "You cannot let the inmates run the asylum. I think what is happening is a lack of respect for football. Don't act like a fool half the time."

Brief interview with Stan Savran and Joe Destio on the Junker and Crow Show on ESPN Radio 1250 AM on Thursday early afternoon.

"Will they come out running early and often?"

Stan Savran ... "I think they will. They will look at what they have done in the past against the Bengals ... which is mash them."

"Has Marvin Lewis lost control of the Bengals?"

Joe Destio ... "I see Marvin going before Chad goes. If they don't make the playoffs, I think he's in trouble."

Interesting note that came up in the conversation. Apparently, someone asked Roethlisberger about whether or not he has been calling audibles. His response was that he called more audibles during the Denver game than those that preceded it. The guys talked at some length about the fact that they ended up calling a lot more passing plays than run, and Tomlin said that the game plan was nothing different from other games. Add to that that Roethlisberger had 2 picks and 1 fumble for a TD. They started to question whether it was the fact that Denver put Roethlisberger in a position where he was forced to finally call audibles and line protection ... and ended up messing things up. I personally think this could be a HUGE point that no one has yet mentioned.

Brief interview with Stan Savran and Joe Destio on the Junker and Crow Show on ESPN Radio 1250 AM on Thursday early afternoon.

"Will they come out running early and often?"

Stan Savran ... "I think they will. They will look at what they have done in the past against the Bengals ... which is mash them."

"Has Marvin Lewis lost control of the Bengals?"

Joe Destio ... "I see Marvin going before Chad goes. If they don't make the playoffs, I think he's in trouble."

Interesting note that came up in the conversation. Apparently, someone asked Roethlisberger about whether or not he has been calling audibles. His response was that he called more audibles during the Denver game than those that preceded it. The guys talked at some length about the fact that they ended up calling a lot more passing plays than run, and Tomlin said that the game plan was nothing different from other games. Add to that that Roethlisberger had 2 picks and 1 fumble for a TD. They started to question whether it was the fact that Denver put Roethlisberger in a position where he was forced to finally call audibles and line protection ... and ended up messing things up. I personally think this could be a HUGE point that no one has yet mentioned.

I didn't know Joe Destio was part of the Bengals front office..interesting..maybe he's the new GM that everybody wants..

ESPN employs more clowns than Barney & Bailey's Circus, you can use that one if you so desire.