Early Injury/Personnel Report for Pitt

HoosierCat

good god, what did Brooks do to his groin? Is this the dreaded sport hernia?

For the RB situation, it seems perfectly fine to me to see Watson and 3D get carries while they wait for Rudi and CP to be 100%. No use in hurrying them back when it looks like the run-game is effective as is.

What does it do to the 53-man roster if they bring Henry back? does this give them time before he is declared or eligible?

Have no fear guys Caleb Miller might be playin this week wow im excited now, i hope the steelers are shaking in there pads now. Yea im alittle pissed that Brooks isnt back this is getting old quick we need someone to play physcial this week and he was our toughest one out there when he played.... the first game.

good god, what did Brooks do to his groin? Is this the dreaded sport hernia?

For the RB situation, it seems perfectly fine to me to see Watson and 3D get carries while they wait for Rudi and CP to be 100%. No use in hurrying them back when it looks like the run-game is effective as is.

What does it do to the 53-man roster if they bring Henry back? does this give them time before he is declared or eligible?

I agree I wouldn't rush Rudi back either. He wasn't doing great when he was 100 percent. Having said that, don't think Kenny will repeat that performance against Pittsburgh. They are far from being the Jets.

I agree I wouldn't rush Rudi back either. He wasn't doing great when he was 100 percent. Having said that, don't think Kenny will repeat that performance against Pittsburgh. They are far from being the Jets.

True...but less true than you might think. The Steelers have a great-seeming run defense this season -- No. 2 as measured by yards allowed -- but much of that is a result of teams falling behind and abandoning the run. On a yards per carry basis, they are giving up 3.7 yards a rush, only slightly better than the 4.1 YPC that the Jets were giving up coming into the game last Sunday. I think they'll find some room to run, if they keep sticking with the ground game.

It is official...Henry to return to practice today...(per Curnutte)

Henry back in practice

The NFL is allowing wide receiver Chris Henry to begin practicing, though two games remain on his eight-game league suspension for violating its personal conduct policy.

Henry will practice this morning when the Bengals take the field in preparation for the game Sunday against the Steelers.

C. Perry working on the side again.

Arg!

This reminds me of the whole Warrick bit in camp a few years back, when they wouldn't let him practice because, if he got hurt, they would then be on the hook for his salary for the year. I don't know if Perry is still hurt or not up to snuff, or if it's just that they really aren't interested in having him back (as it seemed right up to Irons going down). But my sense is growing that, barring an injury to Kenny or DeDe, he'll be released in the next couple weeks.

C. Perry working on the side again.

Arg!

This reminds me of the whole Warrick bit in camp a few years back, when they wouldn't let him practice because, if he got hurt, they would then be on the hook for his salary for the year. I don't know if Perry is still hurt or not up to snuff, or if it's just that they really aren't interested in having him back (as it seemed right up to Irons going down). But my sense is growing that, barring an injury to Kenny or DeDe, he'll be released in the next couple weeks.

You're right, it does have that feel. Maybe he is refusing to go in, fearing he will be released. Once he proclaims that he is fit for practice, they can release him without an injury settlement. Given their rb limitiations, that wouldn't make much sense though.....at least with other Organizations.

I just don't understand have he could go from possibly being ready for game 1, to still no practice. Only in Cincinnati.

I just don't understand have he could go from possibly being ready for game 1, to still no practice.

Me either, which is why I get the feeling that stuff is churning behind the scenes. To steal a good term from one of duus' recent posts, I think there's a lot of waffling going on regarding Perry. In the first place, is he healthy? More importantly, can he stay healthy? Bringing him back up likely means cutting DeDe, a player the Bengals like well enough to have signed twice. He won't stay unemployed long (Miami, anyone?). Plus, you have to figure that, as always, cost is going to play a role in any decision, and DeDe'd definitely be cheaper than Perry. And what about 2008? Rudi, Irons, Perry and Watson is one RB too many. Rudi is a fan favorite, Irons is a second-round pick who has never played, Watson was resigned at the urging of the franchise QB...and Perry is a chronically injured first round bust. But...what if Rudi really has hit the downslope hard? What if Irons' loses some speed or quick because of the injury, or proves to be oft-injured like Perry? What if Rudi's current injury lingers like Brooks'? Do they dare put the load on Watson and DeDe?

I think they honestly don't know what to do with Perry right now. Back in July it was clear: the 3 RBs were Rudi, Kenny and Kenny. Perry was headed to PUP, if not IR, and would be traded or released in 2008. Now...with Irons out and Rudi hurt, things are clear as a brick wall.

Let's not forget that Watson has his own history of hammy issues.

Hoosier, given you scenario above re Perry, it would sem most likely that they wait to see where Rudi is before making a decision. I doubt Rudi goes IR, so it must mean they play the waiting game with Perry relative to the other RBs. If Watson and DeDe excel, then they may outright cut Perry. Seems extreme to me, given he had r1 money all this time and might just be ready to play (a team like GB would probably kill for Perry right now, or Miami..?) Another option would be to move Rudi. Again, he needs to show he is cleared to play but we could get an r3 for Rudi for sure.

Probably what all of this means is that Mike Brown now has an exuse to go shop for an RB on day 1 in 08. <shivers>

Hoosier, given you scenario above re Perry, it would sem most likely that they wait to see where Rudi is before making a decision.

They will almost certainly milk it another week and a half, but per PUP rules they will have to clear him to practice, or IR or cut him, after the Bills game. If they clear him to practice, they then have a 3-week window in which he can practice under a roster exemption. When that time's up (or if they want him to play before its up) they have to place him on the active roster -- or of course cut or IR him.

Hoosier, given you scenario above re Perry, it would sem most likely that they wait to see where Rudi is before making a decision.

They will almost certainly milk it another week and a half, but per PUP rules they will have to clear him to practice, or IR or cut him, after the Bills game. If they clear him to practice, they then have a 3-week window in which he can practice under a roster exemption. When that time's up (or if they want him to play before its up) they have to place him on the active roster -- or of course cut or IR him.

Like Warrick before him, I bet you start to see some Chris Perry frustration come out to the media soon. Although the turf toe bothers me a bit, I think Dorsey is a lock to stay here. I really like the kid and he knows the system.

Next year who knows. If everyone comes back healthy next year (HUGE IF), Rudi may be the odd man out. Especially if Dorsey proves himself this year. I see a situation where possibly Irons is PUPed for the first part of next year, which should give Perry plenty of time to get hurt again.