Now it's really getting bad

walzav29

Well, if you accept his "rankings" then it's highly unlikely Cincy ends up in the top slot, since we play 3 of the other 4 "worse" teams. And where are the Saints?

That said, a top 10 pick is far from out of the question unless this team gets its act together fast.

Anyone who thinks that this team finishes in the top 5 or even the top 10 is flat out not paying attention. Period. We played arguably our two hardest games already (New England and at Seattle) and we lost to a Cleveland team that the week before was called by the media the worst team in the league after they were embarrassed. Worse than Minnesota? Are you kidding? Seriously?

A bye week and some time to clear our thoughts...we go 9-3 or 10-2 the rest of the way.

F.Cleveland, as much as I hate to say it, I think you're setting yourself up for major disappointment with this team. They just aren't that good, and are a team that wasn't put together very well in the off-season to begin with.

No Rudi, Willie, Brooks, Henry, Jeanty or JJ this week - do you really think they can even beat the lowly Chiefs with that on the road, against a good defense? LJ may do a Jamal Lewis on them.

Go Bearcats and Bucks.

F.Cleveland, as much as I hate to say it, I think you're setting yourself up for major disappointment with this team. They just aren't that good, and are a team that wasn't put together very well in the off-season to begin with.

No Rudi, Willie, Brooks, Henry, Jeanty or JJ this week - do you really think they can even beat the lowly Chiefs with that on the road, against a good defense? LJ may do a Jamal Lewis on them.

Go Bearcats and Bucks.

I gotta agree. Anyone that thinks this team goes 10-2 to finish the season, give the keys to your buddy and let him drive.

Go Bearcats and Bucks.

I thought Brooks, Jeanty, and Rudi were all going to play..no?

I'm going to ignore the bait about whether the Bengals are likely to finish as one of the 5 worst teams, and concentrate on their needs. From the article...

"Cincinnati must find more quality front-seven defenders, especially if end Justin Smith leaves via free agency. That hole could be filled by Auburn's Quentin Groves or Calais Campbell, should he leave Miami as a junior. Linebacker is an obvious need and Penn State's Dan Connor would become an immediate starter. But the Bengals also should take a long look at Southern California's Sedrick Ellis. He's a high-energy defensive tackle who would make a nice tandem with the emerging Domata Peko."

Linebacker has emerged as a very pressing need, but in most drafts a team can find very good prospects out of the 1st round. That's rarely true at the DT position, and the drop in quality after Dorsey and Ellis is remarkable. Dorsey is probably going to be one of the very first players taken, but Ellis may be available later than many expect as the 2nd DT off the board normally falls into the 10-15 range. Despite the 3 sacks Ellis produced last week he's not the pass rusher that the higher rated Dorsey appears to be, but he is freakishly strong and his ability to make plays in the opponents backfield is second to none. If available....he's perfect.

As for DE's, I have strong doubts the Bengals will consider replacing Justin Smith with a smaller player and if true Chris Long looks like the type of DE the Bengals will target. That said, I'm also reminded that the Bengals have expessed disappointment in each of the last couple of drafts that a Manny Lawson type of OLB/DE was snapped up right before they were to pick in the 2nd round....so the interest is there.

Finally, I'm not sure if any RT prospect is worth a look as early as the article suggests or even as late as I expect the Bengals to be selecting.

Go Bearcats and Bucks.

Very positive there Shula. I think we are all disappointed at the record. But we all knew 1-3 was a possibility at this point. The manner at which we got here isnt awe inspiring but we were beat in the last minute of the Seahawks game. If Hasselbecks fumble errr incompletion was called correctly, we would be 2-2.

Im a glass half full guy. We have a much easier schedule, with more players coming back from various suspensions and injuries. Its only 4 weeks in - much can change. I hope and believe it will. Im not a blind fan either. Im not too impressed with Palmer and his lack of touch and bad decision making skills. I could punch him every time he kneels when a d-lineman jumps offsides. But he is the Bengals quarterback and I would want no one else atm.

So I havent and wont mail in this season...not yet. Lets see how they respond against KC. Who we all know isnt very good. Win there and who knows what happens after that.

Have some faith and root for your team, not whose hot atm.

Go Bengals

I'm going to ignore the bait about whether the Bengals are likely to finish as one of the 5 worst teams, and concentrate on their needs. From the article...

"Cincinnati must find more quality front-seven defenders, especially if end Justin Smith leaves via free agency. That hole could be filled by Auburn's Quentin Groves or Calais Campbell, should he leave Miami as a junior. Linebacker is an obvious need and Penn State's Dan Connor would become an immediate starter. But the Bengals also should take a long look at Southern California's Sedrick Ellis. He's a high-energy defensive tackle who would make a nice tandem with the emerging Domata Peko."

Linebacker has emerged as a very pressing need, but in most drafts a team can find very good prospects out of the 1st round. That's rarely true at the DT position, and the drop in quality after Dorsey and Ellis is remarkable. Dorsey is probably going to be one of the very first players taken, but Ellis may be available later than many expect as the 2nd DT off the board normally falls into the 10-15 range. Despite the 3 sacks Ellis produced last week he's not the pass rusher that the higher rated Dorsey appears to be, but he is freakishly strong and his ability to make plays in the opponents backfield is second to none. If available....he's perfect.

As for DE's, I have strong doubts the Bengals will consider replacing Justin Smith with a smaller player and if true Chris Long looks like the type of DE the Bengals will target. That said, I'm also reminded that the Bengals have expessed disappointment in each of the last couple of drafts that a Manny Lawson type of OLB/DE was snapped up right before they were to pick in the 2nd round....so the interest is there.

Finally, I'm not sure if any RT prospect is worth a look as early as the article suggests or even as late as I expect the Bengals to be selecting.

Perry, Irons, Pollack, Odell, Rucker, Ratliff have gutted Bengals three of last four drafts before adding injuries to Kilmer, Jeanty, Brooks, Miller & Joesph suspension. This team is living off the drafts from 2003 and before going into KC. Given their injury history, they might need 20 draft picks to address all their needs in 2008.

As of now they have no running attack; no running defense; passing defense is worse than last year; passing attack is worse than last year. How does this team win exactly until they get at least Jeanty, Brooks, Rudi & Henry back?