Bengals Sign TE Lawrie

HoosierCat

Per Curnutte...hey, he's more experienced than any TE not named Kelly...

The Bengals linebacker waived Cameron Siskowic, a rookie free agent linebacker from Illinois State and signed tight end Nate Lawrie, who played college ball at Yale.

Lawrie is 6-feet-7, 256 pounds. He played the past two seasons for the Saints in 13 games. He played in 2004 for the Buccaneers. He has a total of 15 NFL games with two receptions for 32 yards and two first downs.

6-7...yeah, Carson could hit that...

1 catch in 2 years eh.....winner!

We are talking NFL catches, right? Not Canadian or Arena League. :huh:

Yup...and both were for first downs. The kid was a standout at Yale, for whatever that's worth. Set a record for most receptions by a TE in a season (71). And he was drafted (6th round). He also plays STs.

Given that they are going to keep someone behind Kelly, and that at this point the job is wide open (and the competition is falling like flies), I would think this is a big opportunity for a motivated individual. Maybe Lawrie is that guy.

Here's a brief assessment from some guy ( http://www.sandlotshrink.com/fbcollege2004.htm ) who did the whole '04 draft:

181. Nate Lawrie, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TE – Excellent receiver. Set Yale's single-season receiving record with 72 catches in 2003. Good blocker and effective route runner but is not quick or fast.

181. Nate Lawrie, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TE – Excellent receiver. Set Yale's single-season receiving record with 72 catches in 2003.

YALE!?! :o Hmmmph! I tend to prefer my Ivy League players from Harvard myself. :read:

Good blocker and effective route runner but is not quick or fast.

Ahh...the picture just became a bit clearer. B)

181. Nate Lawrie, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TE – Excellent receiver. Set Yale's single-season receiving record with 72 catches in 2003.

YALE!?! :o Hmmmph! I tend to prefer my Ivy League players from Harvard myself. :read:

Yup. I don't know any more than I've posted about the kid -- but from what little I've read...he actually sounds like the kind of guy who could conceivably do well in Cincy. He can block, which is job 1 for a Bengals TE. Not quick or fast? No biggie, TE is a third-tier offensive weapon here anyhow. But for those times when the ball does come his way he's a hellabig target, and crisp route running equates to regularly moving the chains.

Most likely he just gets cut in 3-4 weeks. But on paper he looks like about as good a pickup as you could ask for right now.

Yup. I don't know any more than I've posted about the kid -- but from what little I've read...he actually sounds like the kind of guy who could conceivably do well in Cincy. He can block, which is job 1 for a Bengals TE. Not quick or fast? No biggie, TE is a third-tier offensive weapon here anyhow. But for those times when the ball does come his way he's a hellabig target, and crisp route running equates to regularly moving the chains.

Most likely he just gets cut in 3-4 weeks. But on paper he looks like about as good a pickup as you could ask for right now.

Actually after reading his bio, I hope the kid sticks someplace on the roster!

They should sign me I'm 5'9'' a buck 80. Hell I'll take a couple hits for a couple grand. :D

Sorry, the Bengals would consider you "oversized" at that position and immediately designate you an offensive tackle. :lol:

Bengals4life you could probably win a starting job on the Dline.

Kaz, YOU and I BOTH could win a spot on this defensive line!

You mean we have a D-line ????? :lmao: