Thurman DENIED!

HoosierCat

Dave Lapham, that round mound of sound, guessed that it probably had something to do with Odell missing a scheduled appointment. Apparently Odell's a single father, looks after his family, works a 'normal' job, dates a girl in another town, and is not the "sharpest tool in the shed" to start with - he has a recurring problem of missing appointments.

If that's the case, I can see why (but still disagree with) Good-all's decision. If he blew off a scheduled drug test, that wouldn't sit well with Commish-emporer God.

I sure hope Ahmad turns out to be the real deal. Matter of fact, the ONLY guy happy with this is probably Earl Everett.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Lapham, that round mound of sound, guessed that it probably had something to do with Odell missing a scheduled appointment. Apparently Odell's a single father, looks after his family, works a 'normal' job, dates a girl in another town, and is not the "sharpest tool in the shed" to start with - he has a recurring problem of missing appointments.

If that's the case, I can see why (but still disagree with) Good-all's decision. If he blew off a scheduled drug test, that wouldn't sit well with Commish-emporer God.

I sure hope Ahmad turns out to be the real deal. Matter of fact, the ONLY guy happy with this is probably Earl Everett.

If he missed a drug test appointment, on the heals of a year-long suspension, then he gets what he gets. I will wait for confirmation, but if this is true, then that should be the end of the discussion.

If he missed a drug test appointment, on the heals of a year-long suspension, then he gets what he gets. I will wait for confirmation, but if this is true, then that should be the end of the discussion.

If he missed a drug test appointment, we'll never hear about it - the NFL is not allowed to comment on specifics of alcohol / drug cases.

If he missed a drug test appointment, we'll never hear about it - the NFL is not allowed to comment on specifics of alcohol / drug cases.

This theory doesn't make sense to me -- if he had missed a drug test, why would he and his agent expect to be re-instated? If the league caught wind of any violation of his suspension they would have notified Thurman about it -- any failed drug test. I think the fight accusation in GA must have done him in (ridiculous, IMHO) -- either that or Goodell has PI's tailing Thurman who report behavior (hanging out in bars/drinking) inconsistent with the truly repentent, recovering alcoholic that Odell purports himself to be.

ESPN's First Take highlighted Thurman's denied reinstatement just a few minutes ago. The panel seemed quite confused as to why this harsh punishment was handed down. What struck me is that, unlike Henry, PacMan, and Vick, Thurman is really starting to gain sympathy. Unless some new details come out, I think you will start to see this as the punishment that begins to damage Goodell's big-stick approach to being a commissioner. I actually applaud Goodell, but if this suspension has little to no foundation, I too will find myself questioning his ability to be a good commissioner. I don't think we have heard the last of this.

There is nothing for his lawyers to do. There is no appeal and he has no rights. I't's part of the binding agreement players have with the NFL, agreeing to abbide by their rules. His only hope is with the Players Association. They are the only one who cn appeal or take legal action against the league and the NFL Players Association is the weakest union for any Pro Sport. We haven't heard a word out of them. Bad sign.

A couple of points:

- There is more to the story, but we won't hear it from the league. The league won't violate his privacy. The only way we will hear anything is if he or his lawyers decide to tell us.

- His involvment at that party could be the issue. You know they investigated this last incident in GA. They probably interviewed those involved. If they found out Thurman settled with a payment to drop the charges, that could be enough. If anyone at the party told them that Thurman was drinking a beer, that would be enough. We may never know.

- He has been away from football for a year. Who knows what kind of shape he is in, and he hasn't practiced with the team for over a year. He would be pretty far behind.

- If he would have come back it would have been as a back-up. We could have used him as a back-up, but I really don't know how much of an impact he would have had this season.

-Marvin has been saying for the past year that he is no longer in their plans. They were, and still are ready to move on without him. He would have helped, but the success of this team is not contingent on Thurman.

He's a young guy. For his sake I hope he is clean and can stay clean. Maybe he can come back, maybe he can't. At this point I just hope he has straightened out his life.

Good point about drinking a beer. It may be hard to prove an assault took place, but all the Commish. needs is proof that OT was drinking, which I believe violates his terms for possible reinstatement. I still believe that a full year is extreme, but OT has only himself to blame.

Goodell is serving notice that statements such as 'I was minding my own business at 3am in a strip joint when all of a sudden...' are no longer going to fly.

There is nothing for his lawyers to do. There is no appeal and he has no rights. I't's part of the binding agreement players have with the NFL, agreeing to abbide by their rules. His only hope is with the Players Association. They are the only one who cn appeal or take legal action against the league and the NFL Players Association is the weakest union for any Pro Sport. We haven't heard a word out of them. Bad sign.

A couple of points:

- There is more to the story, but we won't hear it from the league. The league won't violate his privacy. The only way we will hear anything is if he or his lawyers decide to tell us.

- His involvment at that party could be the issue. You know they investigated this last incident in GA. They probably interviewed those involved. If they found out Thurman settled with a payment to drop the charges, that could be enough. If anyone at the party told them that Thurman was drinking a beer, that would be enough. We may never know.

- He has been away from football for a year. Who knows what kind of shape he is in, and he hasn't practiced with the team for over a year. He would be pretty far behind.

- If he would have come back it would have been as a back-up. We could have used him as a back-up, but I really don't know how much of an impact he would have had this season.

-Marvin has been saying for the past year that he is no longer in their plans. They were, and still are ready to move on without him. He would have helped, but the success of this team is not contingent on Thurman.

He's a young guy. For his sake I hope he is clean and can stay clean. Maybe he can come back, maybe he can't. At this point I just hope he has straightened out his life.

Good point about drinking a beer. It may be hard to prove an assault took place, but all the Commish. needs is proof that OT was drinking, which I believe violates his terms for possible reinstatement. I still believe that a full year is extreme, but OT has only himself to blame.

Goodell is serving notice that statements such as 'I was minding my own business at 3am in a strip joint when all of a sudden...' are no longer going to fly.

This isn't High School football, this is a grown man's sport! f**k you goodell, you suck you Conservative right wing motherf**ker!!! I don't care if Odell did drink a beer, there's nothing f**king wrong with that. This is BULLs**t. If Vick's motherf**king ass doesn't get banned from football for life, this a**h*** is a f**king JOKE. The worst commisioner ever, you're not built for this job you f**king puppet.

... you suck you Conservative right wing motherf**ker!!! I don't care if Odell did drink a beer, there's nothing f**king wrong with that.

With respect, I don't see how Goodell being wrong, right, or otherwise makes him a 'Conservative right wing mother*****'. I happen to be 'conservative' and likely viewed as 'right wing', and probably even a 'mother*****' :-) ... but that doesn't necessarily imply that I would act like Goodell has acted. In fact, I am not sure I can make a judgment at all about his political thoughts and affiliation based only on his going too far to clean up the image of the league. I know a lot of left-wingers that go (IMO) way too far to maintain a squeaky clean image around them. Just saying.

A couple of points:

This isn't High School football, this is a grown man's sport! f**k you goodell, you suck you Conservative right wing motherf**ker!!! I don't care if Odell did drink a beer, there's nothing f**king wrong with that. This is BULLs**t. If Vick's motherf**king ass doesn't get banned from football for life, this a**h*** is a f**king JOKE. The worst commisioner ever, you're not built for this job you f**king puppet.

Drinking, as such, is not necessarily the point. As I stated in my previous post, if Odell is tells the Commish one thing and then goes home and does otherwise, he's a bald-faced liar and deserves whatever he gets.

Unfortunately, Odell's track record does not speak well of his honesty (to his coaches, the media and us fans).

:offtopic:

... you suck you Conservative right wing motherf**ker!!! I don't care if Odell did drink a beer, there's nothing f**king wrong with that.

With respect, I don't see how Goodell being wrong, right, or otherwise makes him a 'Conservative right wing mother*****'. I happen to be 'conservative' and likely viewed as 'right wing', and probably even a 'mother*****' :-) ... but that doesn't necessarily imply that I would act like Goodell has acted. In fact, I am not sure I can make a judgment at all about his political thoughts and affiliation based only on his going too far to clean up the image of the league. I know a lot of left-wingers that go (IMO) way too far to maintain a squeaky clean image around them. Just saying.

:offtopic: HELP - HIJACKED THREAD :offtopic:

:hijacked:

Duus, Duus, Duus... This is "agreen" you're talking to. Your best hope if you want to communicate with him is to use small words (looking up the big ones in a dictionary takes too much time) and talk to him as you would a nine year old... just like a Pittsburgher...

Duus, Duus, Duus... This is "agreen" you're talking to. Your best hope if you want to communicate with him is to use small words (looking up the big ones in a dictionary takes too much time) and talk to him as you would a nine year old... just like a Pittsburgher...

^^ Funny guy! LOL. Come to training camp next week, bring Goodell with ya, I'll kick both of your asses!!!

Seriously though, So what if Odell said one thing to Goodell and did another. He's not GOD! I would lie to my boss if I though I could get out of something stupid. Now it's not like Odell's drinking on the Bengals property or coming to work drunk or hungover, Jesus man it's just a f**king BEER and a joint dude. I really hope Hillary gets elected man. This country is going down hill quick.

:offtopic:

:offtopic: HELP - HIJACKED THREAD :offtopic:

:hijacked:

oops ... sorry. Often parenthetic points are best left thought and unsaid.

A couple of points:

Drinking, as such, is not necessarily the point. As I stated in my previous post, if Odell is tells the Commish one thing and then goes home and does otherwise, he's a bald-faced liar and deserves whatever he gets.

Unfortunately, Odell's track record does not speak well of his honesty (to his coaches, the media and us fans).

LYING is now punishable and you can recieve a 1 year suspension??? ARE UUUUUUUUU SERIOUS man? Your joking right? :lmao: Funny guy, this guy.

Goodell may have opened pandoras box. If I was a player I think I'd be more concerned about the position it puts them in if you don't have to be found guilty of anything only appear to be to get suspended this may open the door to many false allegations prompting the players to feel like they have to pay Hush money true or not. I'm sure ex-girlfriends of some players are licking their chops right now!!!!

Goodell may have opened pandoras box. If I was a player I think I'd be more concerned about the position it puts them in if you don't have to be found guilty of anything only appear to be to get suspended this may open the door to many false allegations prompting the players to feel like they have to pay Hush money true or not. I'm sure ex-girlfriends of some players are licking their chops right now!!!!

Yep, and I have said in the past that it is not too much of a stretch to imagine a 'mafia' or 'mob' type world where they set out to simply bring allegations against a guy that could harm a given team's chances in a given game or season. This would be a lot easier accomplished than doing something illegal or otherwise life threatening, etc. Just imagine the corruption this could bring about. Heck, forget the mafia or mob, what if I, as a fan of the Bengals, wanted to see how much 'pain' I could bring to the Steelers organization by bringing false allegations against some players? Oh, I am not saying it would be easy nor that I wouldn't put myself in a position of potential trouble, but the point is that I, as a little nobody, suddenly am given power. You don't think that might bring people out of the woodwork? Hmmmm.

Holy SH!T - An intelligent post ! Good point, Jon-boy !!

Although I'm surprised by the length. This is a very clear statement that Roger Goodell wants to clean up the image of the NFL and for that I applaud him. This a big time statement that you better straigthen up or else.

You couldn't be more wrong. The refusal to reinstate Thurman is a big time statement that even if a suspended player serves the full term of his suspension and complies with the league's conditions, the player can still be f**ked. And that royal ass, Goodell, doesn't need to explain why. Goodell shouldn't be applauded, he should be slapped.

Wouldn't this be the time the player's union and steps up and actually does some defending of their players???

Or is the leech to the golden boy club still attached?

I'm not saying I applaud the suspension, I applaud the commissioner for wanting to clean up the league's image, I would think you would want that too. One thing I hope happens is that Goodell is consistent in his penalties and I will be paying close attention to see if he is.

The NFL is going through a PR nightmare right now and he's trying to correct the problems. Did he go to far with the Odell case? Perhaps, we don't the whole reason behind the decision and this is likely one of those deals that all the misbehavings by the players are being dealt with a strong hand. The incident in Georgia is likely a real big key in this decision, IMO.

If Goodell wants to clean the league, fine. Go for it. If he doesn't want to clean the league, fine. Leave it be. Either way, don't over-react and don't make rash decisions that only drip of politics, or a decision to make you look good for being "tough", or react to one thing in the hopes it benefits some place else. Especially on a decision from a phantom accusation from several jokers looking for 15 minutes and $20 the easiest way they could -- if that indeed is the reason, the stretch.

Then again, I thought the conduct policy was the wrong approach to cleaning up the league. If he genuinely wanted to clean up the league, address it at the entry point. The NFL Draft. Prevent the "bad apples" from getting in. However, I think one man's personal moral compass as the sole god-like voice of discipline is simply dangerous.

Oh well, it's easy to criticize I suppose.

I kind of mentioned this yesterday in the thread but not as nicely put. Good post.

Come to training camp next week, bring Goodell with ya, I'll kick both of your asses!!!

That sounds good.

While you're beating us down, can you also repeat your line stated many times over this entire offseason that Odell would not only be back with the team in 2007, that he'd also start?

Come to training camp next week, bring Goodell with ya, I'll kick both of your asses!!!

That sounds good.

While you're beating us down, can you also repeat your line stated many times over this entire offseason that Odell would not only be back with the team in 2007, that he'd also start?

He would've started, he's the best Defensive player this team has had in quite a few years my friend whether u want to admit it or not!

If you couldn't tell, that remark to defender was a joke.

You guys understand that this isn't over, even though I'm extremely optomistic, I think Odell still has a chance if there is not a really GOOD reason as to why Goodell made this decision.

I kind of mentioned this yesterday in the thread but not as nicely put. Good post.

C'mon, B4 - This has been mentioned alot, but we MUST encourage the children !!!! :lol:

roger goodell decision on odell is way overboard and bias against the bengals. if odell played for lets say the dolphins odell would be at training camp right now. how a player can assult then rob a player and just gets a slap on the wrist is is totall absurd. i guess assault and robbery is not as bad as drinking and missing test . unless your a white player then you can get you suspension cut in half. i am sorry but i really believe that goodell is a racist and a bigot. that is the reason porter did not get nothing more than a slap on the wrist to hide the fact that goodell is a racist . i have no problems with being harsh on players in trouble, but the punishment needs to be equal and fair to all players not just some. that is not happening. i hate to call anyone a racist but i really believe goodell is. i mean look at vick has not even been found guilty but was told to stay away from his team. pacman can't practice odell extened but allen a white player well lets cut your suspension in half. goodell should be removed now and let a compatent person take over. i mean what is it going to take goodell hiring david duke as his personal assistant.

A couple of points:

Not saying I know why he was denied reinstatement, but if it is because he told the commish he wasn't consuming alcohol and he did then it would be like when he told Marvin and Mike B. he wasn't using drugs and he was. If Odell lied about his alcohol intake then he deserves this harsh punishment. Being that NFL cited his personal privacy pertaining to the substance abuse program would lead you to believe that substance abuse was the problem.

Either way I hope Odell can take this time further develop life outside of football and focus on being the best father and man he can be. One year is long but it's not impossible for him recover and come back have a successful NFL career.

Goodell isn't going to change is mind after he made a decision yesterday, so Odell should just move forward with his life and do the best he can to be a good man.