Thurman DENIED!

HoosierCat

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I was wondering if he was going to get caught up in the Vick wash, and there you go.

To all of you who yelled at me for not counting Thurman chickens before they hatch, well, there you go as well.

I wonder what the basis is of the decision. There has to be some reason given, right? If he lived up to the substance abuse tests and passed them, then this is punishment for the Georgia alleged gunplay, no? What else could it be?

Wow. I was wondering if he was going to get caught up in the Vick wash, and there you go.

That was exactly my thought as well. Goodell also deep-sixed Pacman's request to join the Titans camp. With the Vick thing hanging over the league, they are not going to let anyone participate who they view as a risk to add to the bad headlines.

I think Pacman can forget about getting back after week 10 as well, not that that was all that likely anyhow. But now I have to wonder if Goodell will find a way to f**k Henry and increase his suspension...wouldn't surprise me a bit.

That was exactly my thought as well. Goodell also deep-sixed Pacman's request to join the Titans camp. With the Vick thing hanging over the league, they are not going to let anyone participate who they view as a risk to add to the bad headlines.

I think Pacman can forget about getting back after week 10 as well, not that that was all that likely anyhow. But now I have to wonder if Goodell will find a way to f**k Henry and increase his suspension...wouldn't surprise me a bit.

I agree with all of that, but it's the length of the extended suspension that doesn't quite seem to fit. A year seems to be too long to attribute solely to the current Vick situation. Strange...

If he failed one of his random tests, that would explain it.

But if he didn't? Then what is the basis? The only thing I can think is the Georgia allegations (that I got yelled at for highlighting). Anything else that anyone can figure that would be basis of this kind of further extended vacation?

To be clear, his last vacation was for running afoul of the substance abuse portions of the league's CBA. The punishment for such violation is clear and set forth.

If Goodell is whacking him for something seperate from that, then he really does need to give a heads up as to why...

Dont know how or if the CBA prempts here, but u can bet the commish will be sued big time. He has had too many inconsistent and arbitrary rulings and less than equal treatment to all. No way. 2 years for a dui? wtf. Must be something we dont know about. I mean 2 years for dui but bite a cop, kill someone, torture animals, get caught with a fake penis and you get less than a year. Makes plenty of sense.

But, markymark, straighten up from what? That's the question.

By many accounts, Thurman has straightened up. Is this retroactive punishment for the DUI last October? If so, that seems hella harsh, punishing him twice for same infraction. Is it for the Georgia allegations? If so...well, WOW. That would be unreal, since nothing was ever pursued (Vick's been indicted, nothing further came of the Thurman GA allegations, not even an arrest).

If THAT's the case, then Thurman is being punished for an allegation. Punished maliciously, for things out of his control. What would stop anyone from making up accusations about someone at that point?

Even for Goodell, that particular leap would be breath-taking in it's naked abuse of power...

By many accounts, Thurman has straightened up. Is this retroactive punishment for the DUI last October? If so, that seems hella harsh, punishing him twice for same infraction. Is it for the Georgia allegations? If so...well, WOW. That would be unreal, since nothing was ever pursued (Vick's been indicted, nothing further came of the Thurman GA allegations, not even an arrest).

If THAT's the case, then Thurman is being punished for an allegation. Punished maliciously, for things out of his control. What would stop anyone from making up accusations about someone at that point?

Even for Goodell, that particular leap would be breath-taking in it's naked abuse of power...

The original suspension he is serving was for the remainder of last year, after which he could apply for

reinstatement. There is no stipulation that Goodell has to grant the application, even if there was no additional

offense. Once you get to the one year stage, it could be for forever, if the commissioner wants it to be.

Ill not go into whether Goodell has a master plan that makes sense, or whether the not making sense is the plan.

He has the discretion to do this, and the Bengals and MB dont really have the leverage to fight it, even if they were inclined too.

It just shows that after last year, we can't count on Odell for duty on the team, because one decision, one bad accusation can take him away from the team forever. He might be on the roster and get playing time, but he'll never be starter, even if hes the best LB we have.

2 years for violating the drug policy (and apparently not having a positive test... Not that that matters) and a DUI?

Seriously, this is just beyond overboard. This ends Odells career if it goes through, it's beyond unfair. Henry has been WAY worse off the field and has been suspended over a season less, how can Goodell justify this?

Yeah, I've defended Goodell before, but IMHO this one is indefensible. Now maybe they have some double-secret information about him stealing candy from babies or something, but as far as I can tell this is BS.

I have to think this isn't going to go over well with a lot of players. So far Goodell has been able to rely on strong support from guys around the league (and thus no opposition from the union). This might mark a turning point on that front.

Bottom line Two spoiled white kids make an alleged aqusiation on Odell and thats the end of his career its a shame but true God-dell should be lit up by this in the media but he wont because people are too busy with the Dog Murder. We are The New Raiders.

Yeah, I've defended Goodell before, but IMHO this one is indefensible. Now maybe they have some double-secret information about him stealing candy from babies or something, but as far as I can tell this is BS.

I have to think this isn't going to go over well with a lot of players. So far Goodell has been able to rely on strong support from guys around the league (and thus no opposition from the union). This might mark a turning point on that front.

I'm in the same boat - I'm all for cleaning up the league, but a 2 year suspension seems extremely excessive. One was fair.

The problem is, don't you want to reward those players who DO clean up their act? And if Odell has been aceing his drug tests (and actually showing up for them), shouldn't that indicate that he's starting to 'get it'? If you indiscriminantly throw the book at everyone, you don't look like a tough guy, you look like an arsehole.

Goodell does need to watch that he doesn't wear out his welcome with the players. Personally, I can't believe they've basically given him carte blanche power to do whatever he wants. Like you said, I'm wondering when that turns.

I'm in the same boat - I'm all for cleaning up the league, but a 2 year suspension seems extremely excessive. One was fair.

The problem is, don't you want to reward those players who DO clean up their act? And if Odell has been aceing his drug tests (and actually showing up for them), shouldn't that indicate that he's starting to 'get it'? If you indiscriminantly throw the book at everyone, you don't look like a tough guy, you look like an arsehole.

Goodell does need to watch that he doesn't wear out his welcome with the players. Personally, I can't believe they've basically given him carte blanche power to do whatever he wants. Like you said, I'm wondering when that turns.

Hopefully Odell's lawyer is talking Gene Upshaw right now about contesting this decision, there is no good reason for Goodell to take this action. Odell has complied with every request made the NFL in order to get re-instated, Goodell is drunk with power and needs to be checked.

Hopefully Odell's lawyer is talking Gene Upshaw right now about contesting this decision, there is no good reason for Goodell to take this action. Odell has complied with every request made the NFL in order to get re-instated, Goodell is drunk with power and needs to be checked.

You'd hope, but many think one of the union's main problems is that Upshaw is way too cozy with the league. We'll see what happens, I'd be surprised if Upshaw goes into battle mode.

But I agree, this should be the test case. This is the first guy to serve his time, avoid getting arrested again, presumably stay clean (according to his lawyer, for what that's worth), and get screwed.

Goodell seems to be all stick and no carrot.