Fat Lady Sings for NFL Europa

That and when the real NFL starts playing games in Europe during the season (I see this building every year) why watch some second hand sh*t when you could watch the real thing ?? Not to mention, who was the last player to come out of NFLE and become a standout in the NFL ?? To few and far between to make it worth while. Anyway around, I never cared about NFLE, so this is of no real concern for me !!!

WHODEY !!!

On ESPN this morning they had a talking head explain why NFL Europa was folding, and he claimed the biggest factor wasn't the 650k each team lost per year. Instead, he claimed that NFL teams had so little respect for the ability of NFLE coaches to develope players that the NFL teams were ever increasingly signing players specifically to send them to Europe. Once the overseas season came to an end the parent NFL teams routinely showed how little actual interest they had in those players by almost immediately cutting nearly all of them regardless of how well they had performed. The performances were simply disregarded due to the unsophisticated schemes and inferior competition. Meanwhile, players that the NFL teams were really interested in developing were stashed on active rosters on practice squads.

I watched a few of the games every year and it was interesting to see what guys from college would be over there trying to revive their careers. Imo that league was for qb's because it was the only place were qb's could get the game-time experience they need in order to improve. But appearantly the NFL teams didn't feel like developing a 3rd or 4th string qb was worth the hassle and gave the league the kiss of death.

I do think there is a market for a minor league system for the NFL but it should be here in the US because this is were the main fan base is located. Something that is for guys who can't make the NFL because there ps eligiblity has expired or guys trying to show they have recovered from injury or for guys who scouts think they can't make it in the NFL. Something for guys who would normally have to go to the AFL or Canada, I don't know, but I think a minor league system would be benefically to the league in some way.

That is a bummer cause there is nothing I would rather watch at 3:00am than NFL Europa...

It was only a matter of time. Early on I thought they were going to use this as a farm system in sort of the same way baseball does. Like someone said earlier though...only useful for 3rd or 4th string QB's and players.

Well, there is talk of the NFL developing a minor league system much the likes of MLB. It has been a topic discussed in the past, but never got much support from anyone. I for one, would love to see a minor league NFL !!! You could put minor league teams in all the other cities begging for some football action, develop players, AND promote the NFL (like they need anymore of that)... Who wouldn't make a trip up to Columbus (those living in the nati) to see the Bengals minor league team during the offseason ?? (Just putting Columbus out there, but whatever city works)...

WHODEY !!!

Well, there is talk of the NFL developing a minor league system much the likes of MLB. It has been a topic discussed in the past, but never got much support from anyone. I for one, would love to see a minor league NFL !!! You could put minor league teams in all the other cities begging for some football action, develop players, AND promote the NFL (like they need anymore of that)... Who wouldn't make a trip up to Columbus (those living in the nati) to see the Bengals minor league team during the offseason ?? (Just putting Columbus out there, but whatever city works)...

WHODEY !!!

I never heard anything about this. I like the idea of it though! Give the smaller cities some NFL action. I know I would attend a few games if they were located close.

It was last brought up in 2002 and the ownership flat out demolished the idea (I'll see if I can find some info) and I was just reading (to many websites to remember which one) that it was recently brought up again with the now defunct NFLE...

WHODEY !!!

As long as there are miserly owners I seriously doubt there will be any minor league teams directly affliated with the NFL, the small market guys want to save as much money as possible and spending it on guys who have a slim chance to even play in the league doesn't make fiscally sense.

However if this league was not funded by the NFL team owners but still had an affiliation to the teams I think it could work, but many owners see CFB as their minor leagues. Especially since they have age restrictions against players coming into the NFL, one of the reasons why the MLB's minor league works is because they can draft kids out of high school, the NFL can't and won't do that.