Can Tab step up?

kingwilly

Ok, gents....pretty damn boring...let's stir it a bit...

I think Tab can step up and fill in just fine for smokey. I think he can run, cut and fly just about the same, if not in a more versatile manner and that is a warm fuzzy.

BUT//

I think there is major fall-off after that...and we now need someone to run back kicks...no snese in getting our #3 killt on a KR.

Watson or Irons could run back...or Chatman or McNeal...

thoughts???

If Oneal keeps it up, might as well put him back there. :yes:

But whoever they put back there is an upgrade as long as they don't fumble the ball. They don't need TAB back there. Especially if he spots at the TE and HB. A good healthy #3 WR is vital for this offense . McNeal, Green, Chatman, Ratliff, Watson, Irons...... Let the best man win. I hope it's Chatman. Isn't PR one of the main reasons why we picked him up? Even if it is Ratliff, I think he will have a bettter season this year than last. But at least with Ratliff, you don't have to worry too much about fumbles. Wait a second. I take that back. I can't take another season of Ratliff running in the pool. :thumbsdown:

And TAB is nice, but Chris Henry is real nice. Henry is the better compliment for Housh and 85. With Henry on the field, I feel like the Bengals have three #1 receivers on the field with an All Pro QB. :blink: There's a few teams out there where Henry could be a #1 reciever. Carson, CJ, Housh, Henry...........fok that!

By the way, what happened to Rashaud Bauman?

If I read the article from the .com site correctly, Tab is faster than Henry. Or was it Brazelle ?? Anyway, I'm not so much worried about the WR or KR portion of things for the Bengals as I am the defense. I still think this is the area of greatest concern. Funny part is, I think (God help me) the defense could be fun to watch this year !!! I like our WR depth though !!!

WHODEY !!!

i thought glen holt did alright with his returns last year, had almost 25 yds average, and seems to has a good attitude about doing whatevers asked of him.

punt returns seem more of a problem, but if you keep ratliff in and just ask him to take a fair catch on every one at least you don't give the ball away!!

jon

I disagree with the notion that Tab Perry at the #3 WR will make everybody forget about Chris Henry. Henry, warts & all, is a unique talent and Perry is just a nice, versatile WR. I'm glad he's there to compete with Chatman for the spot for 8 weeks, but there's no doubt in my mind that Henry steps right back into that slot when his suspension ends if he doesn't shoot the pope, make out with an underage midget stripper, or turn without signaling in the meantime. Henry is good -- real good.

I agree that if Perry is the #3 he probably won't be returning KO and that's too bad. He never did return punts, so that "opportunity" still exists for anybody who shows any ability whatsoever (BThem -- the "running in the pool comment was classic!"). We have no shortage of guys who maybe can do one or the other, but Chatman's the only guy who's ever shown any decent ability, to date, in returning punts. I suppose this will be one of the big ? and guys will get some chances throughout the preseason games at these spots.

I agree that Tab won't make anyone forget about Henry - because they play different styles. I think the most interesting thing to watch for in these first 8 games will be to see if Perry can develop into a sure-handed possession WR. If he can and does, it might have some important long-term ramifications to the Bengals future at the WR position.

Housh is only signed through the '08 season... and assuming he repeats the kind of production that he has over the last 2 years, he will earn a big payday. Maybe the Bengals will give it to him, but he's going to have the right to demand a pretty big paycheck. I'm not sure that the Bengals will (or even should) pay that much to the WR position.

No one really knows how good Tab is... but hypothetically, if he proves himself here in the first 8 games, he's got the potential to be a very good possession WR. With Chad signed through '11, they may ask Tab to step into Housh's roll, and let T.J. walk. I'm a bigger fan of Housh than Chad... but if the money doesn't add up, Perry could very well end up being Housh's successor. And Chad/Henry/Perry still wouldn't be anything to sneeze at as far as weapons for Carson.

With Tab, I doubt the Bengals will be nearly as capable of stretching the field on a whim with a deep ball. Henry is a perfect player to have in that role. However, Tab looks like a much more versatile player, and having him there in Henry's stead will allow the Bengals to be a bit less predictable. He'll be an all-purpose offensive player, and now he'll see the field often enough for that to make any difference.

I know I am going to catch crap over this one but I am going to say it as I see it. I think Tab Perry is the WR version of our running back Perry. Injury prone talents who when healthy show flashes of what we need but is never healthy enough to play an entire season. It is to bad the Bengals couldn't pick which section of 8 games to lose henry in because the last half of the season is a very easy schedule. I think we should have held onto KWash for another year. Does anyone else think it is amusing that he left Cincy because of the awesome depth we have to go to New England and then they ended up picking up a whole bunch of talent at WR. hahaha He is going to ride the bench in NE to. It is to bad though, even as funny as it is to me, I like the guy, he had nice hands and a cool dance. I saw him do it at the Seahawks game back in 2004 when Carson was chillin on the sidelines and Shaun A. was a youngster. I am in the Marines and always away from home so I don't catch many games, but it was nice seeing that particular one. And everyone shouting RUDI RUDI RUDI was great to. Anyone have an idea how much season tickets are? I am going to be local for 2008-2009.

Injury prone talents who when healthy show flashes of what we need but is never healthy enough to play an entire season

Um he played his entire rookie season,then got injured his 2nd year how is chris perry like? who has been banged up every single year....

Don't forget how TJ started his career.

Injury prone talents who when healthy show flashes of what we need but is never healthy enough to play an entire season

Um he played his entire rookie season,then got injured his 2nd year how is chris perry like? who has been banged up every single year....

Took the words right out of my keyboard, Kaz. Tab Perry has suffered a total of one injury. Granted that was a bad one and who knows how well he's going to come back, but no way can you say he's injury prone based on a single injury. Christine, by contrast, has been hurt numerous times, each time with a different injury -- that's injury prone.

Took the words right out of my keyboard, Kaz. Tab Perry has suffered a total of one injury. Granted that was a bad one and who knows how well he's going to come back, but no way can you say he's injury prone based on a single injury. Christine, by contrast, has been hurt numerous times, each time with a different injury -- that's injury prone.

I understand it was just one injury, my main point was that I have a bad feeling about him, I just seeing him being injury prone. I like the guy, I actually hope they get one of those burners in their as the third wr.

I agree that Tab won't make anyone forget about Henry - because they play different styles. I think the most interesting thing to watch for in these first 8 games will be to see if Perry can develop into a sure-handed possession WR. If he can and does, it might have some important long-term ramifications to the Bengals future at the WR position.

Housh is only signed through the '08 season... and assuming he repeats the kind of production that he has over the last 2 years, he will earn a big payday. Maybe the Bengals will give it to him, but he's going to have the right to demand a pretty big paycheck. I'm not sure that the Bengals will (or even should) pay that much to the WR position.

No one really knows how good Tab is... but hypothetically, if he proves himself here in the first 8 games, he's got the potential to be a very good possession WR. With Chad signed through '11, they may ask Tab to step into Housh's roll, and let T.J. walk. I'm a bigger fan of Housh than Chad... but if the money doesn't add up, Perry could very well end up being Housh's successor. And Chad/Henry/Perry still wouldn't be anything to sneeze at as far as weapons for Carson.

Great post, and thought provoking.

Thanks for the thoughts, derek.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Watching Tab Perry drag Ike Taylor 25+ yards was one of the best plays I've ever seen. He had a hip injury right? That's pretty serious but I'm confident he'll be healthy and make an impact in the absence of Cheech. WHO DEY

Housh will turn 32 in September of '09, so his age will work against any demands for a big payday (whether or not he objectively deserves it). But with Henry one mis-step from the NFL grave, I think Tab would really have to turn into something special for them to consider not re-signing Housh.

Housh will turn 32 in September of '09, so his age will work against any demands for a big payday (whether or not he objectively deserves it). But with Henry one mis-step from the NFL grave, I think Tab would really have to turn into something special for them to consider not re-signing Housh.

Fair enough. The cloud over Henry does work in favor of them wanting to keep Housh around no matter what... but 2 years is a long time. If Henry keeps his act together (Chris Carter did it) and Tab Perry shows he can be a big third down and red zone target (still remains to be seen) I'm not sure that Housh will be necessary.

Like I said... I'm a bigger Housh fan than Chad, but as you mentioned yourself - his age will be working against him. Perhaps Henry and Perry will be the younger versions of Chad and Housh in the future (a guy can dream can't he?).

Not only that, but a high draft pick in the first or second round at WR at some point in the next two drafts gets us Housh's likely replacement as well.

I love what Housh has done, but this is likely his last contract in Cincy. His next one will be prohibitively high for his age, and will need to be paid by someone else.

As it is, I will look forward to his next two years in what has become a brilliant career (especially considering his draft position).

Not only that, but a high draft pick in the first or second round at WR at some point in the next two drafts gets us Housh's likely replacement as well.

unless someone steps up :P it's not like we have spend a high draft pick to replace houch since he was a 7th rnder himself so very well Brazell,Tab or another late round pick will step up within next 2 years.