Joseph Possible Foot Fracture

ArmyBengal

I think the vote from the Bengals (and their fans, largely) was 'none of the above.' in the Tory vs. Ratliff competition. Hence the drafting of Hall.

Although I think it illustrates my larger point, which was that Marvin and Co. could clearly see that Tory was obscenely slow at the end - note that he ain't here anymore. Still, they apparently didn't think Ratliff could do any better, which certainly makes me pray for a speedy recovery for one Mr. Joesph.

It is what it is. If the Bengals concluded, as we all have, that Ratliff lacks ideal speed then you're well served to look elsewhere for a long-term replacement for James. Thus, Hall and his 6-year contract is added to the bookend deal that Joseph signed the prior year. In my opinion, Ratliff didn't enter into the future starting plans not because he can't play worth a lick, but because he lacks the speed needed to start over a full season. Week-to-week you might get by, but not month-to-month. The Bengals also concluded that because of the difference in playing experience they'd roll one last season with Tory James as a starter, a decision that I fell can be heavily second-guessed. In fact, I think O'Neal, Joseph, and Ratliff STILL sounds like a better secondary than O'Neal, James, and Joseph.

I think the vote from the Bengals (and their fans, largely) was 'none of the above.' in the Tory vs. Ratliff competition. Hence the drafting of Hall.

Although I think it illustrates my larger point, which was that Marvin and Co. could clearly see that Tory was obscenely slow at the end - note that he ain't here anymore. Still, they apparently didn't think Ratliff could do any better, which certainly makes me pray for a speedy recovery for one Mr. Joesph.

It is what it is. If the Bengals concluded, as we all have, that Ratliff lacks ideal speed then you're well served to look elsewhere for a long-term replacement for James. Thus, Hall and his 6-year contract is added to the bookend deal that Joseph signed the prior year. In my opinion, Ratliff didn't enter into the future starting plans not because he can't play worth a lick, but because he lacks the speed needed to start over a full season. Week-to-week you might get by, but not month-to-month. The Bengals also concluded that because of the difference in playing experience they'd roll one last season with Tory James as a starter, a decision that I fell can be heavily second-guessed. In fact, I think O'Neal, Joseph, and Ratliff STILL sounds like a better secondary than O'Neal, James, and Joseph.

I assume you're right on why Tory was the starter. It was clear that what plays he did make was solely on the basis of experience and guile, he's not outrunning most rookie linemen at this point. Hell, you could make the case that, had that last play happened in week 15, Tory wouldn't have been starting in week 16. That would have probably been enough. Too bad, too late.

I'm not inclined to second guess the decision simply because the degree with which Tory got slower was astounding. At this rate, he'll have gone from Pro Bowl to wheelchair in 5 years. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume he was getting by on fumes during camp.

Like you said, it is what it is. Can't wait until we have a pair of shutdown corners.

He does not have a Lisfranc fracture........ Marvin would be ready to shoot himself as that would be a minimum of 12-16 weeks if not career ending. Often they require a huge amount recovery time and extensive surgical intervention...... half of them cannot return to competiive sports, ever.

We will see if it is a Jones fracture which is the long foot bone (the one behind the little toe).... often needs a screw in for about 6 weeks... will see if one of my buddies might just walk by the X ray in the next day or two...............

Brain cramp. : :wacko:

There's a lot of people to point to for the crappy 2006 season. Tory may not be the fastest CB, but he had really long arms to compensate.

If his name isn't Inspector Gadget or Dr. Octagon then his long aren't going to help him much, if Tory was a more willing tackler he would be a good FS because he's able to recognize routes and he has good ball hawking skills, but he tackles like a sissy, so never mind. <_<

For the record part II, if the Pats don't find a way to bridge the gap with the obviously unhappy Asante Samuel and he does indeed hold out, New England will be staggered at the drop-off in talent level between Samuel and Tory James...

Would be different if Rat could actually do something well - as it stands he does literally nothing well at the NFL level.

That's a bit much, eh? He's slow and that isn't going to change, but as a nickle or dime he is still a fundamentally sound player whom is at least passable. He should never be a starter, but I've never understood why everyone thinks he is so terrible.

I think everyone expected a lot more out of a 2nd round Florida DB. He suffers from the same curse of one Justin Smith. Taken high and never lived up to the hype.

No argument. Then again, because you might have expected more when a player was drafted isn't sufficient reason for a fan to completely ignore what a player really is. For example, Kid Shula can't seem to get over where players like Smith and Ratliff were drafted and responds to their failure to live up to the hype by calling for them to be cut outright. Meanwhile, the Bengals value Smith so much they name him as their franchise player...pointing out just how much Kid Shula has allowed draft day hype to impact his later opinions. *

* And prompting me to mentally add caliope music to every post Shula writes.