Voluntary practice news

jjakq27

Hobson keeps updating the piece, promises video and all that to come...

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6051

Of interest, no-shows include TJ and O'Neal. They knew TJ was going to be absent but Deltha was supposed to be there and Marvin isn't happy he's not.

Madieu and Levi didn't take part in drills, but did work out on the sidelines.

Hobson keeps updating the piece, promises video and all that to come...

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6051

Of interest, no-shows include TJ and O'Neal. They knew TJ was going to be absent but Deltha was supposed to be there and Marvin isn't happy he's not.

Madieu and Levi didn't take part in drills, but did work out on the sidelines.

As much as people hate on Deltha, he's underpaid. I think he's doing this to force the team to cut him so he can get a bigger contract elsewhere, the way this market is going a guy like O'Neal could get atleast 3-4 million a year regardless of how last year went for him. He went to a Pro Bowl 2 years ago and has proven that when healthy he can be a shut down corner.

Either give him a raise or cut him.

"Either give him a raise or cut him."

OK

Cut him then.

"when healthy he can be a shut down corner. "

Mentally or physically healthy? Unfortunately, he seems to only be able to hold true to your statement for random snaps...

I dunno, in 2005 if he wasn't a shutdown corner then who was. He had 56 tackles, 10 ints, and 8 PBU's. Those are great numbers and he clearly outperformed his contract and if the Bengals reward players like Chad, Levi, and Carson when they outperform their original deal by giving them a bigger contract, why wasn't the same done for Deltha? I know his history of having a great season and then falling off in following years, I'm sure that is the Bengals front office reasoning for not re-doing Deltha's deal. But, how is a guy supposed to feel appriecated when the same rules don't apply. I say the Bengals were lucky he didn't hold out after the 2005 season.

As a fan I want Deltha to get his ass into camp asap, but has a father, husband and business man I can understand why Deltha would do whatever it takes to get more money. He's only got a couple of years until he goes the way of Tory James, he's 30 years old.

These guys don't have the potential to earn alot of money once their playing career is finished and for someone who has put up the type of numbers O'Neal has he should have made much more money than he has over the course of his career. There's noone to blame but himself, but now he's got to makeup for lost wages.

OK

Cut him then.

Mentally or physically healthy? Unfortunately, he seems to only be able to hold true to your statement for random snaps...

I dunno, in 2005 if he wasn't a shutdown corner then who was. He had 56 tackles, 10 ints, and 8 PBU's. Those are great numbers and he clearly outperformed his contract and if the Bengals reward players like Chad, Levi, and Carson when they outperform their original deal by giving them a bigger contract, why wasn't the same done for Deltha? I know his history of having a great season and then falling off in following years, I'm sure that is the Bengals front office reasoning for not re-doing Deltha's deal. But, how is a guy supposed to feel appriecated when the same rules don't apply. I say the Bengals were lucky he didn't hold out after the 2005 season.

As a fan I want Deltha to get his ass into camp asap, but has a father, husband and business man I can understand why Deltha would do whatever it takes to get more money. He's only got a couple of years until he goes the way of Tory James, he's 30 years old.

These guys don't have the potential to earn alot of money once their playing career is finished and for someone who has put up the type of numbers O'Neal has he should have made much more money than he has over the course of his career. There's noone to blame but himself, but now he's got to makeup for lost wages.

I understand your point, but didn't Deltha sign a new deal with the Bengals when they traded for him in 2004. If he truly did sulk last season because he felt like he wasn't getting paid enough, then as a fan I want no part of him on the Bengals.

I might change my mind about the following if there's more to the story than what's been said, but right now there's no freaking way I'd cut Deltha. Nor would I give a second thought to giving him a raise under the current circumstances. At most I attempt to trade him, but that's already been tried...and the attempt probably failed because the Bengals weren't interested in holding a fire sale.

But here's another idea. In my opinion Deltha's salary isn't so great that the Bengals couldn't easily justify using him as a nickleback. And before anyone complains that I've lost my mind let me point out that the idea isn't as outrageous as it first sounds. Deltha played horribly before getting hurt last season, and when he returned he had actually lost his starters job to Jonathan Joseph. Very little was made of that at the time since Deltha had been hurt, but it may have been a more important sign than it first seemed. In any event things have continued to change, and none of the changes point to Deltha getting a pay raise. In fact, I'm already on record claiming that Leon Hall is capable of challenging O'Neal for the starters job from day one....or week 4 or 5 if you prefer.

Frankly, if Deltha wants to hold off Leon Hall he's going to have to impress the coaches with his play and his attitude. Do that and he might get the raise he thinks he deserves. But should things play out differently the Bengals can very easily kick Deltha down to the nickle corner role this season and then possibly cut him loose altogether at seasons end.

You give guys raises who earn raises. Deltha doesn't put the extra time in the film room and he has always had a bad attitude. He has had two good years in his entire career and they were 3 years apart. If he would get his head into the game and pay attention to film, be a leader, and quit acting immature, he would be paid accordingly. These are the type of players that bring down a team and we had plenty of them in the 90's. This is a new era and if we have a highly gifted athlete that keeps acting immature, Marvin will bench him until he proves he can be more than just an athlete. RAISE, that is an dumb statement. After we give Deltha a raise, let's hook Odell up and then Henry. At least they are good teammates. There is more to football than just playing on the field. He was horrible last year, on and off the field. Deltha had this same exact problem in Denver after making the pro-bowl. He proved himself the first couple years in Denver and slacked off once he reached his plateau and he did the same exact thing to us. He should start the season as the nickelback until he gets his head on straight.

How can anyone, ANYONE justify giving this selfish player a raise ?? Seriously, he's not acting anywhere near a leader for this defense. Leaders do things without being asked and let their performance speak louder than their words. Deltha has been hurt and in trouble, then wants to be a no show for the workouts, all the while having nothing but attitude. Hardly a leader and hardly anyone I would consider giving a raise to. Deltha (even though you aren't on here) how about getting healthy, dropping the attitude, and play worth a sh*t, letting it speak for you instead of being a whinny little BITCH !!!

Give him a raise or cut him were the options ?? Fine, CUT HIM !!!

Can't compare him to what Chad has gotten either... Chad has done something NO OTHER WR HAS EVER DONE in leading either his conference or the league in receiving yards for 4 years in a row. NEVER BEEN DONE !!! Deltha, whenever you want to step up and produce, get back with us...

WHODEY !!!

Don't get me wrong, there is no way in hell they cut Deltha. My statements were aimed directly at the "Give him a raise or cut him" statement. "IF" those were the only two options based on his play, I would still say CUT HIM. However, those aren't the only two options (thank God) and I really want to see him come back this year and have a season on par with the one when he went to the Pro Bowl. If he could do that and not complain so much, things would be VERY different for him...

WHODEY !!!

OK

Cut him then.

Players always think they are underpaid if they have a year that makes them look better than the contract they signed...but if that is the case then shouldn't the opposite be true? Since he sucked last year shouldn't he repay some of the money he didn't deserve because of his poor play?

Well since a player is never going to give money back from a contract they signed when they don't play up to the standards of their contract, then a team shouldn't have to be held hostage by a player sitting out to force a team to pay him more when the market changes. That is just the crap shoot of signing a long term contract...Sometimes it works out in the players favor (ala Akili Smith), sometimes it works out in the teams favor (ala Jonathan Joseph). Do you think that if a rookie comes out and has a good year or two on their rookie contract, then they should sit out until they get a pay raise?

Sorry if I am sounding like I am pro-Mikey, but this is a system of free agency that was brought about by the players, yet there is always bitching and moaning like this from players every year who think they are underpaid in the middle of a long term deal...despite the fact they wanted the job security of a long term deal... :wacko:

I'm glad to see our draft choices in this camp -- none of this "my agent said I should practice until I sign a contract." :cheers:

I like what I see of Hall, Hartwell, Brazell, Kenny Irons and Carson. I could not tell whether Ahmad Brooks was making the right reads from the video. Brooks looks fluid -- but I want to see hits in the hole and stopping runners.

I'm getting anxious to see what this defense can really do.

What the hell is still wrong with Levi?

I loathe the Willie/Levi/Williams signings.

Oh come on - Levi? I could see making arguments for Willie and Bobbie, but Levi? Levi was signed because, in case you didn't notice, LTs don't grow on trees.

You either get one in the first 15 picks and keep resigning him or install a swinging gate behind your QB. Not much sense in spending $100M on a QB and then cheaping out on your LT. And before you say it, I haven't seen a decent LT get to FA in forever. So it was Levi or something like Leonard Davis. I'll take Levi.