The Bengals' Off-season in a Capsule Nutshell

membengal

From Mark Curnutte's blog, verbatim some info he got from Sports XChange, regarding ALL of the Bengals' off-season moves. Thought it would be nice to have this in one place in one thread here for referring back to/discussion purposes. For what it's worth, assuming nothing snags the Hartwell alleged signing, I am content with what they got done this off-season:

FRANCHISE PLAYER: DE Justin Smith: Tendered at $8.644 million. (Signed today).

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

—CB Rashad Bauman is unlikely to return because of injuries and the move toward younger players; not on team's radar.

—S Anthony Mitchell won't return because the team is not interested.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: None.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS: None.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED

—G Stacy Andrews: RFA; $1.3M/1 yr.

—CB Greg Brooks: RFA; terms unknown.

—DE Robert Geathers: Potential RFA; $33.7M/6 yrs, SB unknown.

—QB Doug Johnson: Potential UFA; 1 yr, terms unknown.

—LB Landon Johnson: RFA; $850,000/1 yr.

—TE Reggie Kelly: UFA; $9M/3 yrs, SB unknown.

—OL Scott Kooistra: Potential UFA; 3 yrs, terms unknown.

—P Kyle Larson: RFA; $1.3M/1 yr.

—LB Caleb Miller: RFA; $850,000/1 yr.

—RB Kenny Watson: UFA; 3 yrs, terms unknown.

—RB Terrence Whitehead: ERFA; 1 yr, terms unknown.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED

—LB Ed Hartwell: FA Falcons; agreement 1 yr, terms unknown.

—DT Michael Myers: UFA Broncos; $1.65M/2 yrs, $100,000 SB.

—C Alex Stepanovich: Not tendered as RFA by Cardinals; terms unknown.

PLAYERS LOST

—C Rich Braham (UFA; retired).

—CB Tory James: UFA Patriots; $1.3M/1 yr.

—S Kevin Kaesviharn: UFA Saints; $10M/4 yrs, $3.25M SB.

—LB Brian Simmons (released; later signed with Saints).

—G Eric Steinbach: UFA Browns; $49.5/7 yrs, $17M guaranteed.

—TE Tony Stewart: UFA Raiders; terms unknown.

—WR Kelley Washington: UFA Patriots; terms unknown.

—LB Marcus Wilkins: UFA Falcons; $3.5M/3 yrs, $500,000 SB.

—QB Anthony Wright: UFA Giants; 2 yrs, terms unknown.

Source:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/

Assuming we dont add or drop any new player of value, what does this mean for compensatory picks in 08? Looks like we might get some nice picks maybe a 3rd and a couple of 7th?

Hey given the investment in Andrews, I'd like to see a payoff and get him on a 3-4 year deal. For sure a lineman goes down this season and chances are, Stacy will step in. He can play RT, RG & LG, he's worth locking up.

The guy I see them dealing is Justin if a LT deal can't be done. Will have to be soon too as his $8 mill contract is guaranteed on July 15.

Looking at these defensive signings tells me that this is the end of the line for the D as it is now. If the D doesn`t hit mediocracy, Miller, Landon, Deltha, and the backup Dlineman are gone, maybe with Justin Smith....

I think Marvin and the brass have decided it is house cleaning time. You know, these players will be the fall guy if the D sucks, not Marvin. The abundant 1 year contracts prove to me that Marvin isn`t going anywhere.

Marvin already mentioned that there will be a lot of picks in 2008 and could be a lot of room in the cap if JThornton and Jsmith are let go.

So, I ask, will you root for the players now, or hope for less than mediocre performance and the chance for new blood in 2008?

Or, will these guys finally hit their potential and kick ass in 2007?

Hope for less than mediocre performance ?? Does anyone really hope the team does sh*tty ?? I can understand that if (by chance) the team is tied for the worst record in the league and with one game left you have a chance for the top pick in the draft, but even then, it's hard to root for your team to LOSE !!!

I'll hold out hope that the defense is going to find a way to figure it out and that maybe a few of the one year contracts (Hartwell) work out nicely !!!

WHODEY !!!

Looking at these defensive signings tells me that this is the end of the line for the D as it is now.

I think they're about more than the D. Justin passed this comment in the most recent bengals.com piece:

“We’ve grown up a little bit. We know what we have to do. The window is closing and we have to take advantage of it,” Smith said.

I agree. Rudi, Chad, aren't getting any younger. Palmer, who'll turn 28 at the end of the year, is in his prime right now. I don't know what Willie's running on. Defensively they have a lot of guys coming up for FA next year that you have to question re-signing; we could see a lot of churn again next year unless some guys break out. There seems to be a "win now" attitude in the organization. Which sounds good to me.

Looking at these defensive signings tells me that this is the end of the line for the D as it is now.

I think they're about more than the D. Justin passed this comment in the most recent bengals.com piece:

“We’ve grown up a little bit. We know what we have to do. The window is closing and we have to take advantage of it,” Smith said.

I agree. Rudi, Chad, aren't getting any younger. Palmer, who'll turn 28 at the end of the year, is in his prime right now. I don't know what Willie's running on. Defensively they have a lot of guys coming up for FA next year that you have to question re-signing; we could see a lot of churn again next year unless some guys break out. There seems to be a "win now" attitude in the organization. Which sounds good to me.

Going 8-8 last years was the worst, especially after going 11-5 in 2005. In the NFL if your not improving then your doing something wrong and last year was anything but an improvement, BUT there is good reason to be excited, mainly our HC and QB are in tops in their profession.

The window for this current team is definitely closing, I think alot players won't be around next year. The only guys on the d-line who we know for sure will be there are Geathers and Peko, Brooks and Jeanty from the lb crew, and JJ & the rooks from the secondary.

Think about it, on the d-line Thornton and Robinson could easily get cut this offseason, Big Sam's contract is up after this season & Smith has a 1 year deal.

Landon and Caleb are on 1 year deals, Pollack & Odell aren't even counted in the depth chart, & Hartwell signed a 1 year deal as well. Nicholson has show something this year or he's gone, maybe.

In the secondary, Deltha's contract is up after this season as is Madeiu's & D-Jax, I believe.

Next offseason should be interesting, especially if the defense doesn't perform up to expectations, which are high for a unit that hasn't had alot of consistant success.

Yeah, I've got to admit that when I read Smith's remark about the window closing I assumed he was talking about the defense. That may sound strange since the defense we've all been waiting for has never actually arrived, but that wasn't the plan, and after this much prolonged failure it's only natural to assume that if it continues to fail whatever the plan once was it's going to be abandoned and replaced with a new plan....and new players.

Yeah, I've got to admit that when I read Smith's remark about the window closing I assumed he was talking about the defense. That may sound strange since the defense we've all been waiting for has never actually arrived, but that wasn't the plan, and after this much prolonged failure it's only natural to assume that if it continues to fail whatever the plan once was it's going to be abandoned and replaced with a new plan....and new players.

Don't you think the chances then would be high for a new defensive coordinator (i.e. Chuck Bresnahan getting canned) as well?

I think Chuck isn`t going to be canned. The players are going to be held accountable for this.... I mean even with injuries all over the D last year, the D put up some pretty good games which the front office can construe as nice defensive scheming. That would keep the coaches in place.

Looks to me like Madieu, John Thornton, Robinson, Smith, and the backers with more than 2 years experience are in make or break mode.

The Brown family is forcing this to be a make or break year for the D players because they realize the offense is aging. Bringing in a new D coordinator destroys any scheme consistency and rapport with the younger of the D players and nicely playing vets. I am against it.

I think Chuck isn`t going to be canned. The players are going to be held accountable for this.... I mean even with injuries all over the D last year, the D put up some pretty good games which the front office can construe as nice defensive scheming. That would keep the coaches in place.

Looks to me like Madieu, John Thornton, Robinson, Smith, and the backers with more than 2 years experience are in make or break mode.

The Brown family is forcing this to be a make or break year for the D players because they realize the offense is aging. Bringing in a new D coordinator destroys any scheme consistency and rapport with the younger of the D players and nicely playing vets. I am against it.

I was just wondering because nary a tear was shed (actually there was much rejoicing) in Oakland when he left to come to Cincy.