DT Michael Myers visit PBS/signs with the Bengals

The DTs weren't the problem in '06. They held their own better against the run last year than they have since Marv brought his Chinese Fire Drill defense to Cincy. It'd be great to get a decent pass rushing DT out of the draft but hanging hopes on early pick DTs is not what the Bengals need to win now -- corners who can cover man and LBs who can both blitz quick and cover.

So long as they continue to have DTs who are strong enough to hold the line, keep the right space when they flow and keep their feet, the run defense will be good enough and they won't have to go back to running stunts every play to compensatate for the lack of strength up front. Myers was a good signing to do just that even though he lacks the bulk Shaun Smith had.

However, it would be hard for the Bengals to pass on Branch at #18 or Harrell at #49 because age is working against the Bengals DTs and their a couple of injuries away from a problem they'd have to scramble to address if they don't pick a DT and a big run defending DE at some point. The CB class is deep and decent in the middle rounds so they do have the luxury of picking and choosing a CB later if they don't target 1 in the 1st or 2nd or can't get who they want.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CB class is deep and decent in the middle rounds so they do have the luxury of picking and choosing a CB later if they don't target 1 in the 1st or 2nd or can't get who they want.

Yep, CB Usama Young from Kent could be a 2nd round pick, if they decide to go with someone like Beason (not my favorite pick) in the 1st. Both Beason and Young fit Marvin's mold of "athlete with higher ceiling than they showed in college."

I think Beason's a reach at 18 though, and would also fit Marvin's profile of drafting someone there that he doesn't expect to start right away. Very much an Odell-type of player without the substance abuse issues.

Not sure how much of an immediate impact this draft will have on this particular team.

If they pass on Branch I don't care if both his legs are fricking broken I'll be p*ssed.

Well, I guess you were more impressed by Branch's 2 sacks last year than I was. Or was it the 6 tackles for loss that he managed that impressed you so much?

Frankly, Branch is a prospect with so much upside that the Bengals have to consider if he's available at #18, but depending on how the draft shakes out there could be a handful or two of better prospects available. More important, there are DT prospects likely to be available in later rounds who I like just as well or even better.

Bottom Line: The Bengals could pass on Alan Branch all day long without pissing me off a bit.

It'd be great to get a decent pass rushing DT out of the draft but hanging hopes on early pick DTs is not what the Bengals need to win now -- corners who can cover man and LBs who can both blitz quick and cover.

However, it would be hard for the Bengals to pass on Branch at #18 or Harrell at #49 because age is working against the Bengals DTs and their a couple of injuries away from a problem they'd have to scramble to address if they don't pick a DT and a big run defending DE at some point.

I agree that adding a DT isn't as pressing a priority as improving the secondary and linebacker corp. That said, in my opinion neither Branch or Harrell bring much to the table as pass rushers. In fact, it's one of the principle reasons that I'd prefer prospects like Brandon Mebane, Kareem Brown, or "my boy" Antonio Johnson. Clifton Ryan, Jay Allford, and "your boy" Brent Curvey are also interesting prospects with enough upside to be productive role players right away and could start eventually.

I'd even be happy if the Bengals were the team that finally stopped the predicted draft day fall of bad boy Marcus Thomas.

The CB class is deep and decent in the middle rounds so they do have the luxury of picking and choosing a CB later if they don't target 1 in the 1st or 2nd or can't get who they want.

Yep, CB Usama Young from Kent could be a 2nd round pick, if they decide to go with someone like Beason (not my favorite pick) in the 1st. Both Beason and Young fit Marvin's mold of "athlete with higher ceiling than they showed in college."

I think Beason's a reach at 18 though, and would also fit Marvin's profile of drafting someone there that he doesn't expect to start right away. Very much an Odell-type of player without the substance abuse issues.

Not sure how much of an immediate impact this draft will have on this particular team.

It's great to go into the draft basically drafting for backups at most positions.

Remember the days when ALL of our draft picks put in significant minutes and most sucked and lost their confidence??? Not anymore....