Marvin Got To Go?

cinci_bengals

But in many ways going from 2-14 to 8-8 is the easy part.

Tell that to Dave Shula, Bruce Coslett, and Dick LeBeau (not a single one of them managed a single 8-8 season, let alone 4 straight years of non-losing records)

Furthermore, tell Brad Childress, Joe Gibbs, Romeo Crennel, Rod Marinelli, and Gary Kubiac how easy it is to turn a losing franchise into a winning franchise. The point is, maybe Marvin has had only one winning season, but the fact that he has kept this team away from a losing record since the day he got here is a lot more impressive to me than a single winning season, or even that drastic 2-14 to 8-8 swing.

You're right, he's yet to get over "the hump" and make this team into one that is in Super Bowl discussions year in and year out... but we're in the playoff discussion every single year, and a mere 3 years ago, that would have invoked laughter from the masses.

Maybe Marvin isn't the best coach in the league - I still think he's too young in his coaching career to pass that sort of judgment, but I'm not about to say he's "got to go." That statement completely ignores what he was given to work with when he got here, and how difficult it is to build a franchise like the Patriots and Colts (teams that are in the Super Bowl discussion every year).

And to merge this discussion into every other topic in the forum... many of you that are angry that the Bengals aren't going hog-wild in free agency are products of the instant gratification society, and aren't considering that Marvin is attempting to do exactly what it is that we as fans demand... build a team that makes the playoffs every year - not a one year wonder. What Marvin and company are doing and have done here is nothing short of amazing given the 15 years previous. Starting a thread about how he's "got to go" simply shows how easy it is to forget that fact.

P.S. Had Bill Cowher been fired any time a Steeler fan had suggested he deserved it, the Steelers would not be the '05 champions (Legit or not).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But in many ways going from 2-14 to 8-8 is the easy part.

Tell that to Dave Shula, Bruce Coslett, and Dick LeBeau (not a single one of them managed a single 8-8 season, let alone 4 straight years of non-losing records)

The Bengals were 8-8 in 1996, getting to .500 afer Shula replaced Coslet. Coslet's record in 1996 and 1997 is actually slightly better than Marvin's over a comparable period.

Furthermore, tell Brad Childress, Joe Gibbs, Romeo Crennel, Rod Marinelli, and Gary Kubiac how easy it is to turn a losing franchise into a winning franchise.

And I said it was easy turning a loser into a winner where? In fact, I think I said getting to 10 wins -- which would be a "winner" -- was the hard part.

Maybe Marvin isn't the best coach in the league - I still think he's too young in his coaching career to pass that sort of judgment, but I'm not about to say he's "got to go."

And I said he should where? Let me go check my post again. Yup, there it is, I'm not in the "fire Marvin" camp.

The Bengals were 8-8 in 1996, getting to .500 afer Shula replaced Coslet. Coslet's record in 1996 and 1997 is actually slightly better than Marvin's over a comparable period.

Which period is that? I know '96 was 8-8, but after that the Bengals were under .500 every season until '03.

Which period is that? I know '96 was 8-8, but after that the Bengals were under .500 every season until '03.

Coslet was 7-2 after taking over for Shula in 1996, and then went 7-9 in 1997 for a 14-11 total.

Marvin went 5-4 over the last 9 games of 2003, then 8-8 in 2004 for a 13-12 total.

I'm not happy with how slow the progress of the defense has been either, but to think that Marvin Lewis is the problem, then you might want to consider a couple of things..

1. Knowing you have a problem is the first step to solving it.

2. STOP buying weed from the same guy that sells it to O'Dell Thurman

3. Yes those are spots in front of your eyes, you have been on an hallucinigetic drug for quite some time.

4. The reason why your eyes hurt is because you have never used them before. You have been asleep in a dream world we call the Matrix. We woke you up by accident, because it is ever so clear now, YOU ARE NOT THE ONE !!!

:cheers::sure::lmao:

Coslet was 7-2 after taking over for Shula in 1996, and then went 7-9 in 1997 for a 14-11 total.

Marvin went 5-4 over the last 9 games of 2003, then 8-8 in 2004 for a 13-12 total.

Gotcha. Seems like cherry picking, but true regardless.

Well, it's both coaches' first two years as Bengals HC. Even if you count Marvin's whole year in 2003, the percentage of wins still favors Bruce. Of course, you can also argue that Coslet had more to work with than Lewis; under Shula the team had gone 7-9 in 1995, whereas they were coming off 2-14 when Marvin took over.

Just for the record, I think Lewis is a far better HC than Coslet. I simply sought to illustrate the point that it doesn't take a great coach to get a team into the .500 neighborhood. It's making the move to the high-rent district that's the challenge. And given the way Mike Brown operates with regard to coaches, we should get the opportunity to see if Marvin can meet that challenge.

Just for the record, I think Lewis is a far better HC than Coslet.

No doubt, you're just making a point.

I don't view Marvin's accomplishments here with a similar "luke-warm" mentality though. Three years after taking over the worst team in the league (many years running), he won the division. I'll wait a bit longer to see if the team is progressing as I think it is, but I have nothing but the highest praise for Marvin thus far.

I don't view Marvin's accomplishments here with a similar "luke-warm" mentality though. Three years after taking over the worst team in the league (many years running), he won the division. I'll wait a bit longer to see if the team is progressing as I think it is, but I have nothing but the highest praise for Marvin thus far.

Like I said before, I don't think Marvin deserves to be run out of town, and I do think he has done a good job overall (and especially so considering the quirks and foibles of the teams FO). But it's precisely because I consider him a top-flight HC that I hold him to a higher standard.

Maybe Marvin isn't the best coach in the league - I still think he's too young in his coaching career to pass that sort of judgment, but I'm not about to say he's "got to go."

And I said he should where? Let me go check my post again. Yup, there it is, I'm not in the "fire Marvin" camp.

I actually didn't lump you into the "fire Marvin" camp. I was just merely discussing how ludicrous it is that such a thread exists in the first place. I wasn't speaking directly to you but for the first few lines of my post regarding you claiming that it's not that hard to turn a loser into a winner.

That said... if you don't want to be lumped into the "fire Marvin" camp, you might want to refrain from playing devil's advocate on the straight silliest thread that has ever gotten this much attention.

Like I said before, I don't think Marvin deserves to be run out of town, and I do think he has done a good job overall (and especially so considering the quirks and foibles of the teams FO). But it's precisely because I consider him a top-flight HC that I hold him to a higher standard.

That's fair.

You mean this isn't a board for prison inmates? :unsure:

No, it's a board ABOUT prison inmates :lmao: