Stewart to Oakland?

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5924

Stewart to Oakland

By GEOFF HOBSON

March 9, 2007

10 a.m.

The buzz around the NFL is that Bengals tight end Tony Stewart is headed to Oakland on a free-agent deal. Stewart’s departure now leaves seven pre-Marvin Lewis Bengals under contract or negotiating with the club and puts them in the market for a backup tight end. Agent Jerrold Colton is optimistic a deal will get finalized later Friday.

Build anew through the draft:

Round 1: Houston--CB or Willis/Timmons--LB

Round 2: Tank Tyler--DT or Brandon Meriweather-- S

Round 4: Johnathan Wade--CB or Sabby Piscitelli--S or Tim Crowder--DE or Joe Newton--TE

Let the fair to midland players go on their way to bigger $$$$

I know he had some big plays for us last year, but for what Stewart does on a regular basis, he could be replaced by an undrafted free agent.

The Buzz around the NFL, what? Tony Stewart is not the caliber of a player to create a buzz around the NFL or even the Bengals locker room. I like Tony Stewart he made a lot of big plays for us since he has been here, but I would not mind bringing in a young stud either.When we long for the days of Rodney Holmon something is wrong here, bring someone in that can stretch the field at that position, this is not a diss on Stewert or Reggie but that would be nice.

My thoughts exactly! We cannot continue to overvalue our players, thats what gets us in trouble. As far as the FA's we have lost the one that truly hurts us is Steinbach, but we have Whitworth/Andrews to fill in as a replacement, so we are ok. Also, this should net us a solid 3rd round compensatory pick in 2008 draft. As far as our resignings I like the Kelly and Watson signings, Kelly is a solid blocker and Watson is a good 3rd down back. I wouldn't be opposed to us sitting out the rest of free agency till after the draft, then we can find a good veteren role player for depth. As far as the draft here is my 1st 4 round targets:

Rd 1:Chris Houston(CB) Darrell Revis(CB) Laron Landry(S) or Amobi Okoye(DT)

rd 2: Rufus Alexander(OLB) or Tank Tyler(DT)

rd 3: hopefully we can gain a trade down pick here

rd 4: Matt Spaeth(TE) or OT/OG depth

My thoughts exactly! We cannot continue to overvalue our players, thats what gets us in trouble. As far as the FA's we have lost the one that truly hurts us is Steinbach, but we have Whitworth/Andrews to fill in as a replacement, so we are ok. Also, this should net us a solid 3rd round compensatory pick in 2008 draft. As far as our resignings I like the Kelly and Watson signings, Kelly is a solid blocker and Watson is a good 3rd down back. I wouldn't be opposed to us sitting out the rest of free agency till after the draft, then we can find a good veteren role player for depth. As far as the draft here is my 1st 4 round targets:

Rd 1:Chris Houston(CB) Darrell Revis(CB) Laron Landry(S) or Amobi Okoye(DT)

rd 2: Rufus Alexander(OLB) or Tank Tyler(DT)

rd 3: hopefully we can gain a trade down pick here

rd 4: Matt Spaeth(TE) or OT/OG depth

Round one- Landry and Revis won't be there, maybe not Okoye. The more I read a bout Houston the more I think he's overrated. I think they have to seriously think about taking a LB (Willis, Timmons, or Poz) or a safety (Nelson).

Round two- Again I think Alexander and Tyler are overrated. I think this is the round that they take a corner or DT (Harrell), maybe even another LB depending on what happens with Johnson and Miller.

Round three- Agree, hopefully we can work out a trade to get a pick here.

Round four- They have their TE's even if Stewart leaves. OL or DL depth is my guess.