Forbes Ranking of top 100 GM in Sports

AGrizzlyBaer

Ok, while I hate Mikey Brown like I hate taffy, I can not agree with him being ranked below Matt Millen. I just can't. Millen is a clueless assclown. Brown is just an antiquated tight ass.

Hard to think of a better GM? How about Bill Polian? Lets Edge go, and the ground game was the reason they won the Super Bowl.

I can't believe they have AJ Smith ranked so high. This is a guy akin to Jerry Jones, who lets his ego drive his personnel decisions. He should be much lower, IMO.

And how can Rich McKay be so high? Can you think of a single player on the Falcons that could be considered a solid acquisition over the last three seasons? Ed Hartwell? Lawyer Milloy? John Abraham? Ashley Lelie? Grady Jackson? I could continue.

Brown has a proven track record of miserable failure unlike any other GM alive today though.

Deserved ranking of next to last.

how about Ozzie Newsome at 89????? Although a Raven, it's hard to think of a better GM in the NFL. The list is complete crap.

Yeah there are some discrepancies, but they are basing this on things like cost-to-win-to-player-salary ratios compared to other teams etc.., etc..., not just wins/losses.

Hard to do in a salary capped world probably, it's by no means scientific since it's covering different sports.

The nailed Mike Brown though. :lol:

Brown has a proven track record of miserable failure unlike any other GM alive today though.

Deserved ranking of next to last.

how about Ozzie Newsome at 89????? Although a Raven, it's hard to think of a better GM in the NFL. The list is complete crap.

Yeah there are some discrepancies, but they are basing this on things like cost-to-win-to-player-salary ratios compared to other teams etc.., etc..., not just wins/losses.

Hard to do in a salary capped world probably, it's by no means scientific since it's covering different sports.

The nailed Mike Brown though. :lol:

P.S. - Cue HairOnFire Mike Brown defense post: "he's really misunderstood!" etc.., :lol:

P.S. - Cue HairOnFire Mike Brown defense post: "he's really misunderstood!" etc.., :lol:

I see no reason to say anything in defense of Mike Brown. After all, without any prompting from me nearly everyone who has commented on the rankings has determined for themselves that they're crap. Crap that you lapped up like a kitten drinking milk from a saucer.

:lol:

Just to shed some light on how this "methodology" works, one of the main components was a GM's average winning percentage compared to his predecessor. Problem is, it doesn't matter how long the guy is in office, because after about 5 years you are now effectively running your own show. So if a GM happened to follow a successful run, he'll be underrated, and vice versa.

As for Mikey? His dad's winning percentage was pretty good, and his own is rather poor. Millen isn't ranked as poorly I imagine because his predecessor didn't do too well either.

I'd agree that the rankings are pretty much bulls**t regardless of where they put Mikey. They have McHale #1 by the simple virtue that he took over a terrible team and made it a slightly better than .500 team over a number of years. Winning what, two playoff series in the whole time? And he's the best GM of any sport? Right.

I see no reason to say anything in defense of Mike Brown. After all, without any prompting from me nearly everyone who has commented on the rankings has determined for themselves that they're crap. Crap that you lapped up like a kitten drinking milk from a saucer.

:lol:

Wow, way to dance around the entire point of things there Hair, once again.

You seem to be in total denial of Mike Brown's track record as an owner/GM the last 16+ years.

I think that speaks for itself, and is deserving of him being on the bottom of any list ranking GM's.

Of course, you can't "argue" with that, so, you dance around the topic like a squirmy little politician! lol

Wow, way to dance around the entire point of things there Hair, once again.

Well, what point did I miss? I addressed the fact that the consensus opinion had determined the GM rankings to be worthless crap, and had done so without any help from me. So why should I respond at length to an article that most agree has no merit?

Frankly, if I missed making a point it was the one about the rankings being so crappy that they'll seem credible only to miserable self loathing fans who embrace negatitvity anywhere they can find it.

Hard to think of a better GM? How about Bill Polian? Lets Edge go, and the ground game was the reason they won the Super Bowl.

I can't believe they have AJ Smith ranked so high. This is a guy akin to Jerry Jones, who lets his ego drive his personnel decisions. He should be much lower, IMO.

And how can Rich McKay be so high? Can you think of a single player on the Falcons that could be considered a solid acquisition over the last three seasons? Ed Hartwell? Lawyer Milloy? John Abraham? Ashley Lelie? Grady Jackson? I could continue.

definatley agree with you..i dont understand why he is ranke so him

Some team owners double as GMs. The success story here is Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys (No. 13), who turned the Cowboys from a has-been to a three-time Super Bowl champion. To his credit, Jones has actually spent less on players, on average, than his league counterparts during his 18-year reign. The failure? Cincinnati Bengals owner and GM Mike Brown (No. 97), who has won half as often as his predecessor, despite outpacing the league's median payroll by 4% since taking over the franchise in 1991.

Just thought I would point out that Mike Brown has spent more than the average NFL GM in his 16 years. Not that it seemed to do much good.... :wacko: