Steinbach to the browns - It's official (merged)

Kazkal

Stein's a good player, but not even a pro bowl starter at this point.

Yet he gets $7mm per year for SEVEN YEARS as a guard.

$5.2 is reasonable though, and am a little miffed at the moment, in the face of the Bengals' possibly doing nothing but downgrading their roster in free agency so far, and don't seem to be targeting ways of upgrading or making up for their losses.

If they lose kelly AND Steinbach, and don't pick up their equivalents or better, instead picking up some of the crap that's been mentioned, I'm puttin' on a sumo suit next year if I'm Carson.

I think this off-season will tell us a lot about just how much of a difference Marvin can make - or anyone of his caliber here as long as Mike Brown is in charge.

Not lookin so good at the moment.

Steinbach is now being paid a little more than Steve Hutchinson. It's a different market now, granted, but I have a feeling the Browns will regret that.

May Steinbach maul defenders in the AFC North, unless those defenders are wearing stripes. :sure:

No hard feelings for this guy at all he really wanted to be a Bengal, I know he's going to take it hard looking across the field at us next year. I like the guy but I would not have sacrificed big Willie for him, big Willie since he was drafted has always stated that he wanted to retire as a Bengal. When you think of a character guy on the Bengals big Willie is always the first to come to my mind. Stay out of those hot tubs up in Cleveland is the only tip I can give Steinback good luck just not against the Bengals.

I always liked Steiny -- it just seems that he was destined to be the odd-man-out when the line contracts were being handed out. While I think it's legitimate to argue that maybe Levi is a little too injury-prone and Willie too old to have gotten their deals, that's the kind of thing that we can only know 2 or 3 years down the line. If I was in his place, the only thing I would regret is ever having offered to stay a Bengal for 5.2/per when I could ultimately cash in to the tune of 7. I'm a little suspicous of that comment at this point anyway, so I'll give Eric the benefit of having his agent try to make him look loyal after the point at which he'd have nothing to lose by doing so. I'm not 100% thrilled that Whitworth is now a starter, but I will be if he can hold his own. Whit certainly got his baptism by fire this season, so he should be ready.

While this should make the Browns better right now, I wonder how it will impact them next year, etc. Anyway, good luck to him -- I hope he helps the Browns win 1 vs. the Squeels and Rats each next season.

Here's the news as presented by someone with more credibility than myself:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2007/03/steinbach_signs.html

Cancel that visit with Eric Steinbach in Tampa Bay.

The Bengals offensive lineman, one of the most coveted free agents by the Bucs, signed a 7-year, $49-million contract with the Cleveland Browns Friday, according to reports.

Steinbach was scheduled to visit with the Bucs on Saturday and was penciled in at left tackle.

However, the Bucs continue to negotiate with Giants left tackle Luke Petitgout and will have 49ers center Jeremy Newberry in this weekend. But the big fish never was on the hook.

Per Schecter on nfl.com, Steiny's deal has $17m guaranteed.

The Bills signed Derrick Dockery to a comparable $49m deal today, too.

Maybe Steiny left some $$ on the table. . . sobering thought. I know there are only a few blue-chippers left, but Thomas is going to break the bank. I'll bet that by waiting, he'll end up with a better deal than Clements.

Maybe Steiny left some $$ on the table. . . sobering thought. I know there are only a few blue-chippers left, but Thomas is going to break the bank. I'll bet that by waiting, he'll end up with a better deal than Clements.

I'll bet you Thomas is the first non-QB to get a $100m deal (at least on paper, it will be backloaded).

Per Schecter, Steiny actually got a smaller SB than Dockery ($17m vs $18.5).

I disagree with anyone who says that the Browns will regret this pick, and that he was overpaid.

Dockery, a much lazier, lesser guard got MORE money.

Clemenets signed a $80 million deal.

7 years 49 million is a wad of dough, but we need linemen, we have none.

The guy is 27, he will probably see every penny of that contract.

On a side note the falcons are offering us their first round pick #10, Matt Schaub, and their 1st round pick in 2008.

For our #3 pick this season.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting that both the Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans are interested in the Browns third overall draft choice. The Falcons want Calvin Johnson and the Texans are after Adrian Peterson.

Apparently, the Browns would want Matt Schaub, the 10th pick overall, and a first rounder in 2008 from the Falcons. The Texans have Carr, the 8th pick overall, and additional picks to offer.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/2007/0...for-browns.html

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting that both the Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans are interested in the Browns third overall draft choice. The Falcons want Calvin Johnson and the Texans are after Adrian Peterson.

Apparently, the Browns would want Matt Schaub, the 10th pick overall, and a first rounder in 2008 from the Falcons. The Texans have Carr, the 8th pick overall, and additional picks to offer.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/2007/0...for-browns.html

Schaub vs. Carr. Schaub, easy.

i feel sorry for steinbach he should have picked a better team. we have 2 guys that can step in whitworth and andrew. they both can also slide in at tackle if there is a injury. we will be fine there . our main concern on the o-line is center is bluto the guy or is it wilkerson 2 huge question marks. if steinbach could have been a full time center don't you think he was worth 5.2mil ? o'well wish him the best.