Steinbach to the browns - It's official (merged)

Kazkal

STEINBACH TO BROWNS

A league source tells us that the Browns are expected to sign offensive lineman Eric Steinbach to a deal averaging $7 million per year.

Steinbach, who most recently played for the Bengals, will essentially make Steve Hutchinson money.

The four-year veteran was one of the members of the Cincy team who got busted last year. He was charged for boating while drunk.

Technically, teams can't even speak to free agents until 12:01 a.m. EST Friday. But anyone who follows the league knows that no one follows this rule.

POSTED 9:06 p.m. EST, March 1, 2007

Sam adams and peko vs steinbach.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ^_^

Biggest mistake in Bengals history IMO

You might want to check some of those drafts and see who we drafted over certain players, that Akili Smith draft is the biggest mistake.

No kiddin'!

No offense, WCA, but I think I could count worse Bengals mistakes on both hands. :P

Your starting to sound like some of the people from bengals.com saying tagging justin is worst franchise move in history....It will suck if we have a tackle get injured...but I still stand by letting him go "shrug"

Who do the Bengals have coming in today for a free agency visit. I'm sitting here in Washington D.C. and they have already put out that they have London Fletcher and Fred Smoot and possible Reggie Kelly coming in for a visit today. This is the stuff I'm talking about the Bengals need to step there game up. I bet they don't have a single person visit today that was not on the team last year, don't bring in a guy that not another team is seriously looking at like one of those sorry safeties you guys mentioned.

I'll take the Dave Shula hire. Yes, there were some questionable draft picks, but in all cases those picks were still ranked high by the "experts" even though they turned out bad. But hiring from within, on a losing team, promoting a WR coach to head coach, who had no head coaching experience? He had no qualification but his name.

Losing Steinbach is a direct result of the loyalty they showed Willie.

Your starting to sound like some of the people from bengals.com saying tagging justin is worst franchise move in history....It will suck if we have a tackle get injured...but I still stand by letting him go "shrug"

Who do the Bengals have coming in today for a free agency visit. I'm sitting here in Washington D.C. and they have already put out that they have London Fletcher and Fred Smoot and possible Reggie Kelly coming in for a visit today. This is the stuff I'm talking about the Bengals need to step there game up. I bet they don't have a single person visit today that was not on the team last year, don't bring in a guy that not another team is seriously looking at like one of those sorry safeties you guys mentioned.

The Bengals wont have any visits for a long time now...typical they wait for all the good players to get signed then proceed to go after the trashy bad players

The Bengals wont have any visits for a long time now...typical they wait for all the good players to get signed then proceed to go after the trashy bad players

Hey they called Jon Kitna at 4am the day he was made a FA!!

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2007/03/s...t_might_no.html

Steinbach in town, but might not stay long

Posted by Mary Kay Cabot March 02, 2007 14:37PM

Categories: Browns

Bengals free agent guard Eric Steinbach is in Cleveland today visiting with the Browns, but the team will be hard-pressed to sign him before he makes his second visit to Tampa Bay on Saturday, a source with knowledge of the situation told The Plain Dealer.

That's because the Bucs are interested in Steinbach at the more attractive and lucrative position of left tackle, as opposed to guard, where the Browns currently have him penciled in. Steinbach would love the chance to play left tackle and command the kind of money premier left tackles make.

As it is, Steinbach is seeking a contract in the range of what guard Steve Hutchinson received last year from Minnesota -- 7 years, $49 million.

A source said it's possible the Browns could sign Steinbach today, but that he's interested in what the Bucs have to say first. The Seahawks are also interested.

Here's one way the Browns could prevent Steinbach from leaving without a deal: make him the left tackle, pay him the left tackle money and move Kevin Shaffer to the right side. There was some sentiment in the Browns organization last season that Shaffer, signed to a 6-year, $36.5 million contract last offseason, wasn't cutting it on the left side.

But the Browns still might have their eye on Wisconsin tackle Joe Thomas with their No. 3 overall pick, meaning they wouldn't need Steinbach at left tackle.

SMITH TO VISIT: Steinbach isn't the only Bengal coming to town. Reserve defensive tackle Shaun Smith, a restricted free agent, will visit the Browns on Saturday, his first official visit. The Bengals can match a Browns offer, but Cleveland would not have to compensate Cincinnati with a draft pick because Smith was undrafted out of South Carolina.

Last season, in limited duty, he had 10 tackles and one pass defensed.

TAKE A PEEK: Houston outside linebacker Antwan Peek also was visiting with the Browns today. Peek is available because he doesn't fit as an end in the Houston 4-3 defense.

We had better not pay him to play LT, we can draft Joe Thomas, time to move along, nothing to see here.

Was there ever a doubt that the only thing Steinbach was interested in was getting the most money possible?

On a positive note, by signing with a last place team few will notice, and even fewer will care, when Steinbach gets tossed on his ass by a defensive tackle on his way to Charlie Frye's pimple covered left knee.

Congrats to Eric. And props to the Browns for not letting him get out of town without a deal. I wish him luck, just not against us!

It's ironic that Cleveland initially passed on Steinbach in favor of Jeff Faine....that didn't work out too well for them.

Good point! I'd forgotten about that. :lol:

Steinbach is now being paid a little more than Steve Hutchinson. It's a different market now, granted, but I have a feeling the Browns will regret that.

May Steinbach maul defenders in the AFC North, unless those defenders are wearing stripes. :sure: