Joey Porter

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attitude and all, Joey Porter would be most likely limited to the strongside for the Bengals. Troy Polamalu basically handled what a 4-3 weakside backer would do for the Steelers and I can't see Porter with that much range in coverage. Maybe MLB but that's quite a position change. Porter could probably do it but for the most part his pass rush would be lost. Hard to see him kicking down to DE in the nickel with Jumpy and Justin there and more unlikely he'd be a nickel backer.

Awful lot of cap for a player who would most likely just be a run defending strongside backer like Rashad Jeanty.

Agreed. If he can't play WLB I don't want him.

We've got Ahmad/Odell for MLB and Jeanty/Ahmad for SLB. They all have big upside, Landon doesn't. I'm happy with SLB/MLB being held down by two of those three. I think that could make for a solid LB core, we just need a solid WLB.

To me the positions that hold this defense back are at WLB, CB#2 and to a lesser extent SS. Just as much as those positions though it's Breshnahan and the lack of blitzing. Last year we suffered early on D because of the changes at LB and later we suffered from Tory James, lack of a playmaker and extremely conservative play calling. As a result the defense had no confidence.

Via Hobson....

Also Monday, the Bengals are expected to find out if they’re on Joey Porter’s tour list that is being completed over the weekend.

With the number of teams interested in Porter expanding, the former Steelers Pro Bowl linebacker is going to consult with his representatives to narrow down the field for visits. It’s believed that Porter would at least make a visit to Cincinnati to meet with Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis.

Via Hobson....

Also Monday, the Bengals are expected to find out if they’re on Joey Porter’s tour list

I love the "tour list" thing. Are there t-shirts, y'know, with Joey on the front (maybe being shot in the a$$ while running out of a bar) and a list of cities on the back? :lol: I'd buy one.

He'll stop off in Cincy to grab a couple bowls of Skyline, then he'll move on to the next town.

It's hard to argue with his sack #'s and pass rushing abilities.

Not sure how that would translate here in a 4-3 though. He may be more a product of Pitt's system, and people could end up hating him here if he falls flat, if somehow the Bengals sign him.

You know... If you just go through some of the past comments of Steelers fans on this board you'd see that the vast majority recognized that he was overrated. Most of them like Haggans and Farrior a lot more.

I guess it once again shows the overrated value of the sack. Porter gets between 7 and 10 sacks every year, and because he's a loud mouth the media gives him a ton of attention. Meanwhile, actual fans of the team he plays for don't really think he's all that special.

WTF????? Who said they think Haggans is better??? Wow. HAGGANS? No. Haggans was a downgrade from Jason Gildon. Haggans is a solid OLB, but DEFINITELY inferior to Porter. Plus he doesn't bring the leadership Porter brings to the table. Farrior, ok yeah he's awesome. But you can't really compare him to Porter because he's an ILB. Steeler fans don't think Peezy is special? Not from what I've seen. Sure, there's people who focus on how much he would cost and the fact that he had an off year last year. But most people I've seen are very dissapointed to see him go. Sure, in the long run it was necessary, but as of right now, our defense is significantly worse. Porter was the heart of our defense. He could blitz, stop the run like a beast, and could cover quite well for a LB. But beyond that he was the leader of our defense. He was the one who got all the Dick Lebeau and Bettis throwback jerseys, he was the one who held everyone back in the tunnel so Bettis could go out first in the Super Bowl, he was the one who fired the guys up before the game and on the sideline, he was the one who lead the "Who Ride? WE RIDE!" chant. He was very well respected in the lockerroom and he was a great teammate. He never threw a teammate or a coach under the bus, he loved Bill Cowher, he respected the Rooneys, and he would stick up for his teammates all the time. When that guy from the Browns said he was going to "take Ben's head off", Porter stuck up for him. When Jeramy Stevens made a comment about Jerome, Porter responded. When Kellen Winslow Jr took a cheap shot at Farrior, Porter was furious. He was the perfect teammate. He'd fire you up, stick up for you, and make the opponents hate him. He's going to be tough to replace.

That said, I agree with the guy who said that Porter on the Bengals would make him throw up. Not because of Porter, but because it would just be disgusting and wrong to see him in orange and black. Besides, you guys make him tired. :lol:

He met with miami over the weekend (who cut harrington and r. mcmichael to clear space) and is scheduled to meet with the Bengals on wednesday.

-nfl network

He met with miami over the weekend (who cut harrington and r. mcmichael to clear space) and is scheduled to meet with the Bengals on wednesday.

-nfl network

Per Hobson on da site, the Bengals are not on the 2007 Talkin' Dat Sh*t Joey Porter tour. Maybe the t-shirt just didnt have enough room on the back or something...

-nfl network

Per Hobson on da site, the Bengals are not on the 2007 Talkin' Dat Sh*t Joey Porter tour. Maybe the t-shirt just didnt have enough room on the back or something...

You're not starting to believe Lewis, now, are you, Joisey? I mean, this guy holds information like Sandy Bergman -- except for the whole shoving playbook down pants thing. That's a little weird. Like naked coach getting a #4 Supersize w/ Diet Coke weird. :huh:

Onwards to actually making a point that benefits the forum.

Mark Curnutte doesn't think Porter is coming.

My take: The Bengals are not going to spend the money it would take to sign Porter. Adalius Thomas would have been a better fit, but he's gone to New England.

(to the tune of "Flipper") Joey. Joey, faster than light... :lol:

Dolphins | Team one of the leaders to land J. Porter

Mon, 5 Mar 2007 20:51:30 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Miami Dolphins are one of the leaders to land free agent LB Joey Porter (Steelers). The Dolphins met with Porter and are hopeful they will be able to sign him.

Says he may show in Cincy too, tho..

Bengals | Team one of the leaders to land J. Porter

Mon, 5 Mar 2007 20:56:26 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Cincinnati Bengals are one of the leaders to land free agent LB Joey Porter (Steelers). The Bengals are planning to have Porter visit March 7.

Somewhere, derek shudders... (j/k :lol:)

(to the tune of "Flipper") Joey. Joey, faster than light... :lol:
Dolphins | Team one of the leaders to land J. Porter

Mon, 5 Mar 2007 20:51:30 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Miami Dolphins are one of the leaders to land free agent LB Joey Porter (Steelers). The Dolphins met with Porter and are hopeful they will be able to sign him.

Says he may show in Cincy too, tho..

Bengals | Team one of the leaders to land J. Porter

Mon, 5 Mar 2007 20:56:26 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Cincinnati Bengals are one of the leaders to land free agent LB Joey Porter (Steelers). The Bengals are planning to have Porter visit March 7.

Somewhere, derek shudders... (j/k :lol:)

No, Peezy, go to the Dolphins. Tell your agent to stfu because you hate the Bengals, and go to the Dolphins where you get the added fun of owning Tom Brady. :sure:

If it wasn't official enough, Porter's agent confirms he has narrowed it down to Miami and Cincinnati.

By The Tribune-Review

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Former Steelers linebacker Joey Porter has narrowed his wish list to the Miami Dolphins and Cincinnati Bengals and is nearing a decision, agent Jeff Sperbeck said Monday night.

"I think we'll have it wrapped up soon, probably within the next 24 hours,'' Sperbeck said.

Porter, who played eight seasons with the Steelers and is fourth in franchise history with 60 sacks, was released Thursday in a cost-cutting move.

He has been in contact with several teams, including Cleveland, Baltimore and Dallas.

"He's met with Miami, talked to Cincinnati. We're talking to both at this point,'' Sperbeck said. "The Dolphins came out to (California to) meet him. Cincinnati is interested in having him come out.''

Sperbeck said Porter came away with a good impression of the Dolphins.

"He was impressed by coach (Cam) Cameron and (general manager) Randy Mueller and the direction they're taking the team,'' Sperbeck said.

- By John Harris

The article seems to be leaning in Miami's direction.

Also... I think it's interesting that Porter is for sure going to play in a 4-3 scheme. I guess he's confident in his coverage ability.

"The deal reportedly will be for five years, and will pay a total of $24 million, including a $12 million signing bonus."

About five mil a year? That's a bargain, especially considering what some of the other players on the market are going for.

"The deal reportedly will be for five years, and will pay a total of $24 million, including a $12 million signing bonus."

About five mil a year? That's a bargain, especially considering what some of the other players on the market are going for.

Aparently they had it wrong. This from Schefter over at nfl.com:

The Miami Dolphins and LB Joey Porter have reached agreement on a five-year, $32.5 million deal that includes $20 million worth of guaranteed money.

Way to get paid, Joey :blink:

Aparently they had it wrong. This from Schefter over at nfl.com:

The Miami Dolphins and LB Joey Porter have reached agreement on a five-year, $32.5 million deal that includes $20 million worth of guaranteed money.

Way to get paid, Joey :blink:

Good for him ... and good for us. I know that there are many on here who wanted him on the Bengals, but I am clearly not one of them. His impact on the Dolphins will be minimal. He will have about 2-3 good games where his stats are obvious, but he will disappear during the others, and will be even less noticeable in years to come. We will move on and folks will become happy that we didn't grab this one.

Yep our numbers we prob like 5 year for $1 million with $10,000 guarenteed

"Joey, we're prepared to offer you an incentive-laden contract that can be worth up to 5.5 million a year. The base salary is just 2.5, but if you win the defensive MVP award and we win the Super Bowl, you'll get all 5.5.

"As far as guarantees go, we're going to give you this salad mixing bowl. It retails for 34.99 at Bed, Bath & Beyond."