Olsen & Kerney

Greg Olsen ran the fastest time at the combine today... He may not be much of a blocker... But he would open up our already crazy offense even more....

If he is on the board... Do we take him?

Also...

Patrick Kerney opted out of his last 2 years for the Falcons....

Would he be an upgrade of J. Smith?

At first, I thought Kerney would be a great guy to have on the team just because he's such a high motor, emotional guy, but isn't Justin Smith the exact same way?

Yah - But Kerney gets to the QB where as J. Smith doesn't. I believe Kearny has had 2-3 years of 10+ sacks.... I think its 2 years... But i'm not sure...

Where as Smith has had.. 0?

Yeah, I agree. What i meant was it just seems like they're about the same style of player, just Kerney would be an upgrade as far as talent and production goes, but we already tagged, JT, and Kerney is a big name who would probably cost a lot.

Yeah, I agree. What i meant was it just seems like they're about the same style of player, just Kerney would be an upgrade as far as talent and production goes, but we already tagged, JT, and Kerney is a big name who would probably cost a lot.

Let me kill this subject you guys are absolutely out of your damn minds to think that Patrick Kerney is an upgrade to Justin Smith. I'm not a big fan of Justin Smith but you might want to check the stats Kerney has never had the amount of tackles that Justin Smith put out this year. Justin Smith has four years better then Kerney highest ever in tackles. Kerney years of double digit sacks is long gone that was back in 2001 and 2002 it's 2007 he's five years removed from those years. Plus Kerney is three years older then Justin Smith. Please don't make the argument that Kerney is better then Justin Smith that makes you guys look bad and that you don't have any idea what you are talking about. How bad would Cincinnati look if they would have let Justin Smith go and signed Kerney to a big contract? You guys might want to research the stats before you make crazy statements like he would be and upgrade on production. If Kerney played for the Bengals next year and we would have let Justin Smith you would be calling Marvin and idiot for letting Justin go after comparing there stats.

What about Ben Patrick as a prospect for TE? I am by no means an expert in sizing up potential draftees, but I have heard he is very athletic and he blocks very well in addition to be a decent pass catcher. He seems to be a good prospect, but will he last till the 4th round? What do you all think?

Greg Olsen ran the fastest time at the combine today... He may not be much of a blocker... But he would open up our already crazy offense even more....

If he is on the board... Do we take him?

Also...

Patrick Kerney opted out of his last 2 years for the Falcons....

Would he be an upgrade of J. Smith?

The answer to both of your questions is no. The first one would we take Greg Olsen if he was still on the board, yes if it was the second round. First round hell no, he will be there when we pick in the first round but we don't need a tight end as much as we need anything on defense. That would be a bad pick for us to take him in the first round, first we would be reaching second what are we trying to do out score people. No Kerney would not be an upgrade over J. Smith, I answered that already in another column take a look at Kerney stats compared to Justin Smith stats the last three years and decide for yourself, I bet you will come to the same conclusion that I came to. Kerney is a downgrade at this point in their careers.

If we took olsen it would make our offense that much more sexy...but I'd rather have a stud playmaker on defense in rnd 1...then mybe look at TE rnd 2 but really put it off till rnd 4 for guy like joe newton or Ben Patrick...Joe Newton may lack speed but like other oregon state players that we have he can run routes like a mofo ...your fing crazy if you want kerney over justin. Let's get lavarr and cut Brooks well were at it.

Olsen would be a useful receiver but he'd make Matt Schobel look like a solid blocker at the line. Given the TE class and the Bengals use of the position, I'd hope they sift through the rook free agents at the position, a strong run blocker like Wes Murphy from Arkansas or a decent pass catcher with some blocking skils like Chris Hopkins of Toledo.

The draft should leave some good DEs in Day 2 for the Bengals to choose from if they want a DE. I wouldn''t mind seeing the Bengals do what the Bears did last year and roll with a 5th rounder like Mark Anderson for pass rush. If anybody's going to replace Justin this year, that'd be about the only time I'd like to see -- a speed rusher on passing downs. Same sould be said for a Pollack replacement who could rush down in place of Smith.

Olsen would be a useful receiver but he'd make Matt Schobel look like a solid blocker at the line. Given the TE class and the Bengals use of the position, I'd hope they sift through the rook free agents at the position, a strong run blocker like Wes Murphy from Arkansas or a decent pass catcher with some blocking skils like Chris Hopkins of Toledo.

The draft should leave some good DEs in Day 2 for the Bengals to choose from if they want a DE. I wouldn''t mind seeing the Bengals do what the Bears did last year and roll with a 5th rounder like Mark Anderson for pass rush. If anybody's going to replace Justin this year, that'd be about the only time I'd like to see -- a speed rusher on passing downs. Same sould be said for a Pollack replacement who could rush down in place of Smith.

With the 40 he ran, he could be easily off the board by the time the Bengals pick. Also agree on the blocking. Too small.

I don't want a TE round 1 because 1) our TE play was surprisingly good last year, 2) a non-blocking TE makes the offense too predictable when you have a TE platoon, 3) there aren't enough balls to go around for us to get value out of a round 1 TE, and 4) our defense sucks and needs a lot of help.

(QUOTE) With the 40 he ran (Olson), he could be easily off the board by the time the Bengals pick. Also agree on the blocking. Too small.

DC BENGALS FAN you are getting caught up too much in that 40 time that he ran, it was a good 40 time but not out of this world like the 4.4 that was ran by Vernon Davis. I guarantee Olson will still be there when the Bengals pick nobody is dying for a tight end that's picking in front of the Bengals plus that would still be a big reach if someone picked him that high seeing that he does not look like a difference maker. But like you said and that same sentiment goes with the teams in front of the Bengals nobody needs a tight end as much as they need other positions, so it would be dumb of them just like us to pick a tight end that high. The only team I honestly see that needs a tight end bad that's picking higher then the Bengals is the Green Bay Packers and they need other positions worst then tight end, like a running back or another corner.

(QUOTE) With the 40 he ran (Olson), he could be easily off the board by the time the Bengals pick. Also agree on the blocking. Too small.

DC BENGALS FAN you are getting caught up too much in that 40 time that he ran, it was a good 40 time but not out of this world like the 4.4 that was ran by Vernon Davis. I guarantee Olson will still be there when the Bengals pick...

Olsen ran a 4.45 compared to Davis' 4.4, and Davis was picked 6th in a deeper draft. Based on that, I'd say there's a better than 50/50 chance Olson's gone at 15. He'll attract attention from more than just teams specifically targeting a TE, especially with only 2 blue-chip WR prospects in Johnson and Ginn (Meachum could be a third). I'm not considering Jarrett if the reports of his 40 being timed with a sundial are correct.

I'd still be surprised if Olsen is considered by teams a 1st round pick. There's a whole world of difference between him and Vernon Davis, who is a punisher both blocking and with the ball in his hands. All Olsen's 4.5 time did IMO was separate him from Zach Miller as a type of TE....seam runner who can line up slot or H-back. Zach lacked that kind of quicknesss out of the gate. But the type of TE Olsen showed he is with measurables is of obvious value to teams who scheme with that type of TE ability in mind... just more likely still 2nd round ability.

OTOH Robert Meacham made the WR picture a whole lot more interesting, especially with the report by Mike Mayock that Jarrett was clocked in the 4.7's before he split from a combine training camp. Jarrett has unbelievable body control, ball adjustment skills and route cuts but if he can't show at least Sidney Rice speed at his Pro Day, teams will think long and hard about Jarrett in the first half of the 1st round. Based on receiving ability Jarrett is still better than Meacham IMO but with sub 4.4 speed, Meacham should have moved up beyond the middle of the 1st round.

We'll see about Olsen - I'm not saying *I'm* sold on him, I just think some team will overpay for him based on his time and weakness at receiver.

I'm afraid teams will look at Jarrett and see Mike Williams II - big slow receiver who goes bust in the NFL, espacially now with the emphasis on contact favoring faster smaller receivers. I think Jarrett is barely outrunning the fastest linemen.

Calvin Johnson is just a freak of a WR...if bengals had 1st overall I'd bitch if they diden't take calvin o_O,He's just everything you can ask for in a WR

1.)Marvin Harrisons character

2.)Bigger then Moss

3.) Chads speed and routes

4.)TJ's hands

5.)Boldin that he'll run over the Defense rather then just go down and why woulden't he he's bigger then alot of LB's o_O

No to Kerney, too old and it just won't happen.

I would be mad if we took Olsen in the 2nd, much less the 1st. Marvin knows what he's doing, the only way this team moves to the next level is with more defense.... Olsen would just be another mouth to feed on offense, TJ/Henry/CJ and Perry when he's healthy are enough in the passing game.