Just say no to CB's with LB speed.

Kazkal

I agree!

Especially, when our CBs have to cover for such a long time because of our poor pass rush.

We need fast, quick CB -- who, ideally, can come up and support the run defense. Duh!!! :sure:

IMHO it will be difficult to find one of these special CB in this draft.

Maybe someone will be available in FA.

He'd be decent corner for pure zone team I would think....but meh Should try trade him really not gonna bring us much next year and then he's gone...

Taken from old profile on joseph

His hype as a prospect is based solely off his natural talent and upside.

I WANT ANOTHER JOSEPH ^_^ I want a CB with tons of upside...rather then what you see is what you get when you draft him ala Hall and alot of the high skill low speed corners.

With 40 times that poor, those players would probably fall into the second round. McCauley and Houston would pass 'em up.

McCauley looked so stiff at the Senior Bowl though. He looked damn good in press coverage, but when he had a big cushion he looked really uncomfortable. He's tough, I just don't know if he would fit what we're looking for.

If it's just draft position that you're talking about, feel free to ignore me. :P

With 40 times that poor, those players would probably fall into the second round. McCauley and Houston would pass 'em up.

McCauley looked so stiff at the Senior Bowl though. He looked damn good in press coverage, but when he had a big cushion he looked really uncomfortable. He's tough, I just don't know if he would fit what we're looking for.

If it's just draft position that you're talking about, feel free to ignore me. :P

Um don't we won't Corners who can play tight rather then a 10 yard cushion like tory and keiwan? if it's something they think they can teach him be worth it....

I agree though, there are CBs I'd rather the Bengals take with either day one pick than McCauley.

I feel same way though I'd take a chance on McCauley in rnd 2 rather then hall in rnd 1.

McCauley's problem is kind of assbackwards to what the CBs who get tagged zone corners face. He's fine in press but looks lost when he's off the line. But he's got the easier problem to correct ans teams should still prioritize him over the slower CBs, especially coupled with his physical play vs, the run.

Hall, Houston, Ross, Hughes and Revis all will get tied to their top end speed invariably but if all the Bengals need to do this year is replace Tory James, all of them are an instant upgrade. Houston IMO is the one of them who is better suited to replace O'Neal should that become and issue, whether via Marv's kennel or injury. Plus Houston ishould prove nearly as quick in slot coverage as J Joe. Ross might also bring a lesser degree of this versaility and be a better weakside corner than Houston.

But the Bengals could face that bad situation of drafting team need over BPA if they go corner IMO.

I like McCauley, just dont think he fits the scheme. I love the bump n' run style, and I think JJ fits it too, and taking McCauley could signal a shift to that style.

I think Houston has strange build for a CB. Granted, he's put together pretty well, but you rarely see top corners with short heavily muscled legs.

BTW, I disagree that McCauley's problems are easier to correct. He plays well as bump and run CB precisely because competing as an athlete is about all he can do. Back him off a few steps, as is required in any Cover 2 scheme, and it becomes shockingly obvious that he lacks technique, instincts, and experience....things that the so-called slower corners all boast of. I think McCauley will probably struggle facing NFL wideouts that are as gifted athletically as he is, and his struggles with technique and experience will only serve to reduce his playing speed. Knowing that, I think Hughes, Revis, and Hall should all have an easier transition to the NFL while McCauley will probably need several seasons to adjust, and the fact that he struggled so badly as a senior does not speak well of his ability to absorb coaching.

Frankly, I'd take any of the slower CB's over McCauley...as well as a half dozen others.

Houston is a strange looking CB. He stands to get some workout warrior tag to him. The NFLN keeps showing over and over again him lined up against Jarrett and how tight he was but hopefully they'll show some tape of him against Meachem and Rice. The biggest problems with him I've seen is he'll lose the height battle when the ball is thrown to a taller receiver at a highpoint he just can't get to and he turns all the way around too much which takes too long to redirect despite his quickness and recovery speed.

If slower zone corners are the order of the day for the Bengals, they'll have no problem in this draft. They're always a dime a dozen and even the great college ball hawkers, route readers and route jumpers like Keiwan Ratliff get abused with too much cushion and the lack of receovery speed to do anything but concede the quick slants and short stops underneath and pray like hell that the safety gets over the top in time when the ball is thrown deep. Try putting one of these types in the slot and it gets even worse. McCauley can at the very least play slot and physical press corner with better ability to shed blocks on screens and runs. It'll be easier to teach a CB with those skills how to keep their feet better positioned and read what they see in any Cover 2 or quarters coverage than it is to do the impossible and make 10-yard cushion corner like Hughes physically do what he can't.

Darrelle Revis remains the most intriguing corner to me and still the best prospect of the bunch. But it's hard to tell as little as he was thrown at.

I'm anxious for Revis/Houston to run tomorrow.

Yep, CB seems to be looking more and more like the pick they'll make, so have to watch all these guys closely.

No James, a soon-to-be FA in Ratliff, and a questionable Deltha attitude, means they're in deep sh$% if someone goes down or doesn't work out (Deltha) and play like he's capable of.

Best case you have the nicest, youngest CB trio in the entire league, and two decent safeties, one with a lot of upside left.