Is this team set up for next year?

JoePong

Obviously I still have high hopes for this season becasue it seems like we're getting hot at the right time, but it seems like everything is setting up for next year.

On defense-what if...David Pollack returns from injury (I won't even mention Odell Thurman right now). Fanene and Rucker come back from injury. Sam Adams gets his knee taken care of. Young guys like Peko, Ahmad Brooks, Jonathan Joseph, Rashad Jeanty, and Ethan Kilmer have a year of experience. Geathers continues to get better...?

Offensively, our line stays healthy and guys like Whitworth, Andrews, Ghiaciuc, and Wilkerson keep getting better. Antonio Chatman, Tab Perry, and Bennie Brazell are all available to us both in the passing game and returning kicks. And...keep your fingers crossed...we get an entire healthy season out of Chris Perry?

Plus, our schedule looks a lot easier than it was this season.

Everything that could have gone wrong this season did. Carson Palmer coming off an injury. Players getting arrested. Our O-Line decimated by injuries all year. Our WR corps decimated by injuries all year. We get nothing out of Chris Perry. Our LB corps decimated by injuries, including two guys out for the season who we were trying to build our defense around. Dexter Jackson and Deltha O'Neal battling injuries-in and out of the lineup. Sam Adams huring his knee in the last pre-season game.

Plus, maybe the toughest schedule in the NFL. And were still in the thick of the playoff hunt?

I think you've pretty much wrapped it up. It really is scary how much potential we really do have, plus a brand new set of rooks too. I'm always looking toward the future, patience it the key. We've waited long enough, now lets just enjoy the ride. We'll get to the SB under Marvin. That is our destiny...

Things that should be better:

*Solid QB play week 1. Carson won't be rehabbing (fingers crossed)

*Fewer injuries. Right? Surely we can't have more

*Easier sched. AFC East will probably still be tough, but NFC west will hopefully still be bad.

*Experienced backups (one of the benefits of a ton of injuries

*Slight chance that Odell decides to stop flaking out, or Palmer heals enough to play.

*Brooks ready for prime time

*Joseph turns into a top-10 corner

*Consistent starters on line (see injuries above)

*Geathers has been improving dramatically in run stopping, could be an every down end.

Things that could be worse:

*Age of Braham and Willie. Hopefully not a serious problem with the experience Guy and Whit got this year

*Steinbach gone

*Rudi another year older, and that pounding he takes will cause him to age quicker than some backs.

*Henry could easily do something dumb enough to get suspended for more than 4 games.

*Secondary could age faster than we can plug the holes - Tory is toast, Ratliff sucks, and Deltha hasn't played as well as he did in 2005.

*D-line is getting old too, especially Adams, who appears to now need 10 games to play himself into shape. Justin could be gone, Thornton and Robinson aren't that great.

I think things look good for a SB run, but we need some good drafting on D to set the team up for a while.

team looks good on paper for next year..

schedule will still be tough with a winning record and all.

injuries will occur and all NFL teams will improve some more than the Bengals...

Id take a corner in the draft.. Deltha may start to slip so get one and groom him like Joseph....

Eh, the variable schedule part is only 2 games. We're looking at the AFC South and West 2nd place teams there. In all probability, that's the Broncos and Jaguars, although the Chiefs could edge out the Broncos. Winnable but not terrible games.

I agree with taking a CB day 1.

Id take a corner in the draft.. Deltha may start to slip so get one and groom him like Joseph....

I'm starting to think this way too regardless of whether Justin is re-signed. The Bengals have shown a lack of solid depth at CB this year partly due to both Rashad Bauman and Greg Brooks being out but neither one is enough for the Bengals to hang their hat on anyway. Add either a significantly diminished role or the departure of Tory James and the CB need is higher. And higher still with Deltha's contract on its downside and pretty much a guarantee that he'll miss some games.

They still got Keiwan :wacko: and Madieu could play corner again if needed (and more than reasonably well) but they've got to prioritize secondary depth IMO in this upcoming draft be it a 1st round CB or a 2nd interchangeable safety with man corner skills.

The secondary was vicitimized last year and has been victimized again this year, partly because of the secondary but also because of pass rush. So the same deficiency is still looming next year like it has emerged this year and last. Drafting either CB in 1st and DE in 2nd or DE in 1st and S in 2nd could go a long way. I'd say CB in 2nd but historically the Bengals haven't proven they can get a good one and I doubt the BPA will be a corner given the slide of quality safeties into the 2nd round.

But the whole thing hinges on #9 anyway. No #9, no nothing next year or the year after that or the year after that.

I'm starting to think this way too regardless of whether Justin is re-signed. The Bengals have shown a lack of solid depth at CB this year partly due to both Rashad Bauman and Greg Brooks being out but neither one is enough for the Bengals to hang their hat on anyway. Add either a significantly diminished role or the departure of Tory James and the CB need is higher. And higher still with Deltha's contract on its downside and pretty much a guarantee that he'll miss some games.

They still got Keiwan :wacko: and Madieu could play corner again if needed (and more than reasonably well) but they've got to prioritize secondary depth IMO in this upcoming draft be it a 1st round CB or a 2nd interchangeable safety with man corner skills.

The secondary was vicitimized last year and has been victimized again this year, partly because of the secondary but also because of pass rush. So the same deficiency is still looming next year like it has emerged this year and last. Drafting either CB in 1st and DE in 2nd or DE in 1st and S in 2nd could go a long way. I'd say CB in 2nd but historically the Bengals haven't proven they can get a good one and I doubt the BPA will be a corner given the slide of quality safeties into the 2nd round.

But the whole thing hinges on #9 anyway. No #9, no nothing next year or the year after that or the year after that.

I have noticed more and more, that this team is much better on 3rd down with all three safties in the game. KK/Madieu can cover slot receivers/TE's and it knocks Keiwann down to more of a 4th CB role, which suits me fine with his limits. The question is do you roll the dice again with the health of your secondary. 2 straight years, lack of depth has caught up with the Bengals in the secondary. With the success of JJ this year, and if they let KK price himself out of town, we may see the early drafting of secondary.

I love "Next year " Threads!
Must be used to them being a Turds fan. :lmao:

and Bungholes aren't???? :blink::sure:

No doubt we've had our troubles. For most of the 90's we were looking for "next year" by mid-season. But we haven't had a losing season 4 years in a row. We've been in the playoff hunt 4 years in a row, and we've strangely become accustomed to quality football rather than consistent mediocrity.

Meanwhile, the Browns have had only 1 non-losing season since they were brought back in '99 (the 9-7 season of 5 years ago seems a distant memory now, doesn't it?). In other words... when you make fun of the Bengals "next year threads" it is kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

P.S. Haven't we beaten you 5 straight now? Maybe this thread should be about looking forward to playing the Browns 2 more times "next year."

"Playoff Hunt" is the equivilent of "not making the playoffs".

That is just it, WE CAME BACK in 99'. Since then we have had completely incompitent and horrible bad front office people, who continuosly have made bad choices, in the FO, players, coaches hired, all the way down to bad medical crews. Your team never lost it's whole team, front office people, coaches, and players. yet they still put out Klingler, K-Jana Carter...I won't go there, because that would be calling the kettle black.

We had to start from scratch, meanwhile you have as many playoff appearances as we do since then. Somehow Bengal fan has this "Holier than thou" when it comes to Browns fans which is completely unwarranted.

Saying "we beat you" would be like steeler fans in the 90's saying, "we beat the bengals"....people are like "So what?"

Saying "we beat you" would be like steeler fans in the 90's saying, "we beat the bengals"....people are like "So what?"

Yep... that's kind of my point. Beating the Browns is no big deal. So it begs the question... why are you here making fun of the Bengals? (a team that if the season ended today, would be in the playoffs)

This is now year 8 of the Browns rebuilding process... right? You certainly have had enough time to overcome the "expansion team" excuse. So yeah... keep making fun of the Bengals from the 90's. We remember those years... but you know what's easier to remember than that? "Last year"... and of course, "this year."

But don't let me rain on your parade... you've always got "next year." Oh yeah... that's the kind of thinking you're making fun of.

You certainly have had enough time to overcome the "expansion team" excuse.

So there is an expiration date on these things?

and you're DEAD wrong, it is NOT the same thing. No one expected us to make the playoffs much less win the superbowl. LOL

The "Expansion excuse"

REALLY?

Ok smart guy, who was the last "expansion team" to win the superbowl????

Oh..ya ;)

Please inform me on that.....

Don't look now, but the Browns are about halfway down the Dark Ages path, and they don't appear to be improving. :sure:

Really? Keep thinking that... :lol:

This is the first year since we can back I would say we have improved and you make that comment. Keep flexing your football muscles buddy.

The "Expansion excuse"

REALLY?

Oh..ya ;)

The Browns got started 7 years ago in 1999. The Ravens didn't take that long to win a Superbowl after expansion. The Jaguars played in two AFC Championship Games soon after expansion. The Panthers played in the Superbowl somewhat soon after expansion.

The excuse is long dead.

The "Expansion excuse"

REALLY?

Oh..ya ;)

The Browns got started 7 years ago in 1999. The Ravens didn't take that long to win a Superbowl after expansion. The Jaguars played in two AFC Championship Games soon after expansion. The Panthers played in the Superbowl somewhat soon after expansion.

The excuse is long dead.

LMAO you keep proving yourself unworthy!!!

The only reason that the Ravens are "listed" as an expansion team is because they didn't/couldn't call themselves THE BROWNS, or THE COLTS.

Technically yes, really...no

The "Expansion excuse"

REALLY?

Oh..ya ;)

The excuse is long dead.

LMAO you keep proving yourself unworthy!!!

The only reason that the Ravens are "listed" as an expansion team is because they didn't/couldn't call themselves THE BROWNS, or THE COLTS.

Technically yes, really...no

Neat! So what about the Jags and Panthers? You can't argue a three-example post if you've only one example to bring into question.

Note - Sorry JoePong... we didn't intend to derail your thread.