Playoff Possiblities and Scenarios

schnarfer

Looks like the only help Cincy gets is from the Titans, who beat Jax.

Silver lining is that that keeps the pressure on the Bengals, but the Jax loss just gave Indy the division crown, so the pressure on them just dropped.

WOW Tampa just tied it up with Chicago 31 all. Bears D buckling in the crunch...

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silver lining is that that keeps the pressure on the Bengals, but the Jax loss just gave Indy the division crown, so the pressure on them just dropped.

WOW Tampa just tied it up with Chicago 31 all. Bears D buckling in the crunch...

The TN game was absolutely crazy. Fun to watch!

But man, what an opportunity it gives us. We get the win, and we're really looking good.

Baltimore (11-3) beats Cleveland (4-10), 27-17

Ravens clinch a playoff spot with the win today

Browns are 0-6 in the division this year

NY Jets (8-6) defeated Minnesota (6-8), 26-13

Jets played well today but still need some help for the wild card

Minny is just bad

Tennessee (7-7) beats Jacksonville (8-6), 24-17

Jacksonville dominated most of the game but gave up 21 points on turnovers.

Tennessee is suddenly on the fringes of the playoff race with 7-2 record over last 9

Indy clinches AFC South due to the Jags loss

New England (10-4) over Houston (4-10), 40-7

Pats got healthy against Texans

It's bigger help than it looks at first glance as well, because their loss clinches the AFC South for the Colts, meaning the Colts no longer have the same sense of urgency to win Monday night.

I think the Browns helped us a lot more than it first appears as well, physically beating up the Ravens in the process of losing to them. McNair, Jonathan Ogden, Dawan Landry, Samari Rolle, and Todd Heap all took a pounding, some of them leaving the game.

It's bigger help than it looks at first glance as well, because their loss clinches the AFC South for the Colts, meaning the Colts no longer have the same sense of urgency to win Monday night.

I think the Browns helped us a lot more than it first appears as well, physically beating up the Ravens in the process of losing to them. McNair, Jonathan Ogden, Dawan Landry, Samari Rolle, and Todd Heap all took a pounding, some of them leaving the game.

just as costly as our first game against them was. btw has it been reported what happened to mcnair yet?

btw has it been reported what happened to mcnair yet?

His hand got stepped on. I saw a brief clip on one of the highlight shows and it looks like there was a bandage on the palm side. That's all I know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if we lose we're still in the 5 seed?

Assuming the Broncos win vs. AZ, which looks likely right now, Denver would be the 5 seed if we lose, I believe. They have the best AFC record among the 8-6 teams. We would still edge out Jax and NY for the 6 seed, tho.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if we lose we're still in the 5 seed?

Assuming the Broncos win vs. AZ, which looks likely right now, Denver would be the 5 seed if we lose, I believe. They have the best AFC record among the 8-6 teams. We would still edge out Jax and NY for the 6 seed, tho.

Just to ad: there's also the KC complication: if they win they knock Denver out of the WC picture due to division record; if they lose then I think what I said before stands.

7-0 Chargers early

Also, no word yet on NFL.com about the Sunday night game for New Years Eve. There are several possible ones such as Atlanta v. Philly or Jax v. KC. However I get the feeling the Bengals v. Steelers game will be the one selected if Pittsburgh is still in it after next week.

7-0 Chargers early

Yeah, and Green just threw a pick.

Actually, I think I'm rooting for KC. A loss would likely spell the end of their playoff hopes, but a win keeps them even with Denver, and gives them the division tiebreaker over the Broncos. But the best KC can do in AFC record is 6-6, and Denver is 7-4.

7-0 Chargers early

Actually, I think I'm rooting for KC. A loss would likely spell the end of their playoff hopes, but a win keeps them even with Denver, and gives them the division tiebreaker over the Broncos. But the best KC can do in AFC record is 6-6, and Denver is 7-4.

what is the score in the game now?

7-0 Chargers early

what is the score in the game now?

14-6 chargers now

I don't believe Kansas City will be a threat, even if they win this game because of they tie breaker we would have over them. Even getting beat by Indy tomorrow would not be the end of the world. If we beat Denver and Pissburgh, I'd say we're in.

It's the "and" I boldfaced that's the key here. Tomorrow night's game against the Colts is, IMHO, the season.

We win and we have a one game lead on all the WC teams with two to play. We don't need an "and" any longer; .500 almost certainly gets us in.

Lose, and we pretty much have to win out.

I don't believe Kansas City will be a threat, even if they win this game because of they tie breaker we would have over them. Even getting beat by Indy tomorrow would not be the end of the world. If we beat Denver and Pissburgh, I'd say we're in.

Who-Dey :bengal:

Yep, like I said before ... 10-6 and you are in. That's the AFC this year. You go 9-7 and you are hoping for a ton of things to sway in your favor in the last hour ... you along with about 5 other teams hoping the same thing! A big upset win tomorrow would go a LONG WAY toward that 'lock' side of things for us. I hope 24 hours from now we can look back at this and be responding with excitement that we are all but locked in!