Big Ben wrecks/gets released/admits his mistake

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Ben 'alert and conscious' after bike crash

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, who last season became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team to a Super Bowl title, was injured Monday morning in a motorcycle accident and has been transported to a local hospital with head injuries of unspecified severity.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service, told The Associated Press.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

Roethlisberger, the team's first-round choice in the 2004 draft, was transported to the trauma unit of nearby Mercy Hospital, a source confirmed for ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, but his condition is unknown.

Witnesses told authorities that Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

Steelers officials have confirmed the accident, which occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

In the wake of a motorcycle accident sustained by Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow last spring, Roethlisberger spoke about his own fixation with motorcycles, and his penchant for riding without a helmet. He was admonished by former Steelers quarterback and Hall of Fame member Terry Bradshaw for potentially jeopardizing his career.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.

John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli contributed to this story. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

Just saw a picture of the car and you can see a definite head imprint in the lower passenger corner of the windshield. To be very honest, this surely doesn't have the impression of a 'minor accident'. You can tell from the damage on the car that the two vehicles hit pretty hard. Man, these guys are absolutely stupid ... no helmet. Stupid state that even allows that as well. My wife has worked at the same hospital that Ben has been taken to and she has screamed for years about how stupid it is to ride these bikes with no helmets. She has treated so many people due to head injuries from these types of accidents. Just stupid.

Just saw a picture of the car and you can see a definite head imprint in the lower passenger corner of the windshield. To be very honest, this surely doesn't have the impression of a 'minor accident'. You can tell from the damage on the car that the two vehicles hit pretty hard. Man, these guys are absolutely stupid ... no helmet. Stupid state that even allows that as well. My wife has worked at the same hospital that Ben has been taken to and she has screamed for years about how stupid it is to ride these bikes with no helmets. She has treated so many people due to head injuries from these types of accidents. Just stupid.

Its a personal choice to not wear a helmet. We have enough nanny state laws.

Ben is too stupid to wear a helment and I dont expect the govt to fix stupid.

Speaking as a life-long human being and Cincinnati resident, our prayers are with Ben, the Roethlisberger family, and his Steeler family.

p.s. Go BENGALS!

p.p.s. ER JOKE: Q: What do you call a motorcyclist without a helmet? A: An organ donor

I hope he is okay. Who cares about when he might be okay to play - there will be plenty of time to think about that. Head injuries are nothing to joke about. Last year when the Winslow and "no helmet" talk was going on all I could think was that he was a bad example, but probably nothing would happen to him. Life seems to work that way. This is one of the last things I would've thought. GWS Ben -- so we can kick your ass all over the field!

Good point ... the bulk of the stupidity belongs to the rider for not wearing a helmet.

Do you have a link to the picture, or did you see it on tv?

Hey, if the league can force him to wear a helmet during the game, the government can sure force him to wear one while driving a vehicle that just begs for accidents..

Couldn't happen to a bigger asshat! You bragged last year when Winslow was hurt that you don't wear a helmet. You were proud to be in a state that let you ride without one, and flaunted the league's inability to force you to do so. Now you got hurt! Kudos!

Also, even if he knew his name and was trying to get up and SEEMED alert after the initial accident, that doesn't mean his spleen wasn't ruptured, his kidney wasn't disected, or his ribs broken. Initially after a trauma, you may be more alert temporarily than you should seem to be.

I hope that he ok also, it is 1 thing to root against the Steelers on the field, but this is real life, and no one should wish harm on anyone regardless if they are the enemy...and besides we want to beat the Steelers with BRoethlisberger...

"In serious but stable condition. In operating room for surgery. He was talking and knows where he is."

That's it ... no further questions/information allowed they said.

Surgery? That doesn't sound good. Man, how quickly this has gone from minor to _____. Hope the kid's okay. Nobody -- even Joey Porter -- deserves something like this to happen.

Hey, if the league can force him to wear a helmet during the game, the government can sure force him to wear one while driving a vehicle that just begs for accidents..

Couldn't happen to a bigger asshat! You bragged last year when Winslow was hurt that you don't wear a helmet. You were proud to be in a state that let you ride without one, and flaunted the league's inability to force you to do so. Now you got hurt! Kudos!

Also, even if he knew his name and was trying to get up and SEEMED alert after the initial accident, that doesn't mean his spleen wasn't ruptured, his kidney wasn't disected, or his ribs broken. Initially after a trauma, you may be more alert temporarily than you should seem to be.

The team that pays him agrees to said rules handed down by the NFL. THe govt does enough. Leave it to the person riding a bike to be smart or not.

In this case, not smart.

Just wanted to take a minute to say I hope Big Ben comes out of this without any problems. Prayers are with him, his family, and the Pittsburgh team and community. This could have been tragic and hopefully he will wear a helmet from hear on out.

Yes, the blood from a laceration to the head is crazy !!! It will sometimes look like a freaking blood bath, but be nothing more than a little cut.

Steelers fans are probably holding their breath and to those who bashed Carson when he was hurt, now you know how it feels and maybe you shoudn't be such an assclown !!!

WHODEY !!!

Reporters are quoting the doctors that he is in serious but stable condition. Also they report that he is in operation. don't know what that means but this could be very serious or just minor cuts that need stitched up.

A coworker mentioned that WLW radio said he has a broken jaw.