Examiner.com: Carson Palmer says someone is going to die

gregstephens

Not sure I agree with the golden boy here. I think there will certainly be more career ending injuries. Specifically when safeties lead with their helmets into defensless WRs, or tragic hits like the Geathers hit on Trent Green. But football isn't even the most violent sport in this country. Boxing is the sport with the highest probability of death, as it has happened before. UFC also, though less likely than boxing, is far more dangerous than the NFL.

Watch one night of UFC and you'll usually see 2 or 3 fighters rendered unconcious. They've had over 100 events now... Still no death. How often does an NFL player get knocked unconcious? Maybe 5 or 6 in an entire year?

No... The highest probability of a player dying on the field would be because he led with his helmet and broke his neck. I don't forsee a player dying as the victim of a vicious hit. But that's just me.

agree/disaree. these things do not matter. this is not the matter i want my franchise qb opining on. failure/death? come on.

edit: in the words that i've heard pacino say "ya get killed walkin your doggie"

It is a smidge fatalistic (no pun intended) right before his first game off another injury.

There have been numerous critical injuries to NFL players over the years and a death is not out of the question.

Bigger, faster players on both sides of the ball, mean harder and more devastating hits.

How many people expected Kory Stringer to die in a practice?

Back in the day, the flying wedge saw to it that lot's of guys got killed playing football every year.

One college season, 1905, saw 18 kids get killed playing football. This prompted Teddy Roosevelt to get totally pissed off. He had Harvard, Yale, and Princeton send representatives to the White House, and he told them either fix the game to make it safe or he'd make it illegal.

About 3 months after that meeting, the NCAA was formed, though in those days it was called the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States.

They started making rules to make the game safer. Specifically, they outlawed what they called mass-momentum plays and hurdling.

It sort of worked, but in the 1909 season, 33 players were killed. They then enacted a bunch more rules and those pretty much worked.

Relatively speaking, college and pro football are pretty safe now.

Author's note: Even though the NCAA prohibited it, back in my jr high school days we actually ran the flying wedge on kickoff returns. Our coach would have us assemble into a tight wedge with the ballcarrier behind us. We also played teams that ran this and our coaches were always yelling at us to be the guy who "busts the wedge". Meaning, they wanted someone to blow up the opponent running at the front of the wedge. Teddy Roosevelt was apparently nowhere to be found.

How many people expected Kory Stringer to die in a practice?

In fairness, the Stringer thing, while sad, belongs in a different discussion. Palmer's comments are related to bigger, stronger, faster players hitting someone with more violence. Stringer's death had nothing to do with that.

Same can be said a few years back about a kid who fell over dead in the middle of a college basketball game. His heart just stopped, and no one had any answers. But it certainly wasn't because a free safety came up and took his head off while he was dribbling down the court.

Not sure why all the death that COB refers to... but I'd be willing to bet that medical practices in the early 1900's didn't do many favors to those players.

Not sure why all the death that COB refers to... but I'd be willing to bet that medical practices in the early 1900's didn't do many favors to those players.

Yes, probably lack of medical knowledge plus hardly any players wore any padding or helmets then. Busting the wedge with no helmet? I need some advil.

In fairness, the Stringer thing, while sad, belongs in a different discussion. Palmer's comments are related to bigger, stronger, faster players hitting someone with more violence. Stringer's death had nothing to do with that.

Yep, totally unrelated. 330lb man + full pads + 100 degree heat index + ephedra = body temp of 107. No mystery there, unfortunately.

I sort of feel bad for Carson because his line's let him down over his career somewhat. And I don't know about death, but QBs will be at increased risk for some time, much more than

they were 30 years ago. DEs are just too big and fast.

It does irritate me when I hear D-linemen complain about putting a "dress" on the QB. Oh, really, tough guy? Then I guess you're OK with eliminating the rules against chop blocks and such, right? Wouldn't want to put a dress on the D line.

Yep, totally unrelated. 330lb man + full pads + 100 degree heat index + ephedra = body temp of 107. No mystery there, unfortunately.

I sort of feel bad for Carson because his line's let him down over his career somewhat. And I don't know about death, but QBs will be at increased risk for some time, much more than

It does irritate me when I hear D-linemen complain about putting a "dress" on the QB. Oh, really, tough guy? Then I guess you're OK with eliminating the rules against chop blocks and such, right? Wouldn't want to put a dress on the D line.

I was not trying to compare the two, just pointing out how surprising it was that a top level player collasped in practice and died later. I would be surprised if someone actually did die on the field, but it is by no means out of the question.

I think some of it has to do with the equipment these guys have, too. Players lead with their heads too much thinking that as long as they have a helmet on nothing bad will happen to them. Case in point with David Pollack. He went head first into Rueben Droughns who is just as big as him and was running full spead with another defender on his back. Why go head first?

I was not trying to compare the two, just pointing out how surprising it was that a top level player collasped in practice and died later. I would be surprised if someone actually did die on the field, but it is by no means out of the question.

Agreed. I'd actually take it a step further though. O-Linemen and DTs are living paradoxes. The idea that big fat guys are forced to be physical athletes while also being forced to maintain their obese bodies is asking for trouble. With every passing year, the expectations of linemen to maintain heavier weights while being able to perform aerobic activities for a living is very dangerous. Combine that with some of the stuff these guys are putting in their bodies (legal or not) to give them an athletic edge... and it would not be surprising to me to see more death in the sport.

Still, I don't see death as a result of the games violence any time soon, given how often new rules are put in place to make the game safer.

Wasn't a bills Tight End paralyzed from waste or neck down? I could see a vicious neck injury taking someones life on special teams...

Yeah. I suppose anything is possible.

Still, even in that scenario, the death would be to the man giving the vicious his, not the one receiving it.

I wonder what the worst injury a person receiving a hit has ever been? Most injuries to the recipient of a violent hit are concussions or broken jaws. Serious... but almost never life threatening.

Interesting thing that there have been multiple cases of soccer players dying on the field, mostly due to the fact that they don't wear helmets.

From today's Hamilton (Ohio) Journal:

A Fairfield High School student injured during football practice was flown to Cincinnati Children’s Medical Center on Wednesday, Sept. 9.

Sophomore Brandon Wheeler was injured during a tackling play at practice, school officials said. At this point it appears his injuries were not serious and the hope is that he will be released some time Thursday, Sept. 10, school Spokesman Randy Oppenheimer said.

As much as I love your articles Greg, Carson Palmer is not unraveling. He was making an observation about the nature of the game. It's true that players are now much stronger and bigger than they were several decades ago. Especially on special teams, that makes a dangerous recipe. Whether or not you agree with his prediction, I don't think it means that the man is losing his nerves. Watch him this season. He'll stand up tall in the pocket and there won't be any rushed throws because he's scared of getting hit.

As much as I love your articles Greg, Carson Palmer is not unraveling. He was making an observation about the nature of the game. It's true that players are now much stronger and bigger than they were several decades ago. Especially on special teams, that makes a dangerous recipe. Whether or not you agree with his prediction, I don't think it means that the man is losing his nerves. Watch him this season. He'll stand up tall in the pocket and there won't be any rushed throws because he's scared of getting hit.

Brother, I appreciate your patronage for reading the articles. As for Palmer, you don't know how much I hope that is indeed the case. He can be a top three QB in this league again as long as his head is right. Let's hope for the absolute best.

Brother, I appreciate your patronage for reading the articles. As for Palmer, you don't know how much I hope that is indeed the case. He can be a top three QB in this league again as long as his O-line stops resembling 5 fat matadors. Let's hope for an absolute beast.

Fixed that.

DITTO