Reds sign 1st Baseman Scott Hatteberg

kentjett

Reds sign a back-up for Dunn.

CINCINNATI -- Since taking over in his new job as Reds general manager on Feb. 8, Wayne Krivsky has been making the most of the very little time he's had to prepare for Spring Training.

Krivsky's latest move was adding veteran first baseman Scott Hatteberg, who agreed to terms with Cincinnati on a one-year contract on Sunday. The deal will pay Hatteberg a guaranteed $750,000 with an additonal $250,000 possible in incentives based on plate appearances.

Hatteberg, an 11-year Major League veteran, batted .256 with seven home runs and 59 RBIs in 134 games last season with the Athletics. A lifetime .268 hitter, the 36-year-old spent the last four years in Oakland, and was with Boston from 1995 to 2001.

Owner of a career .356 on-base percentage, Hatteberg has solid gap-to-gap pop and is a discplined hitter who's tough to strike out. He has more walks (432) than strikeouts (420) over his career. He is also considered defensively average but has suspect arm strength.

"He's certainly a professional hitter that takes good at-bats," said Krivsky. "He's been on a lot of winning teams. We have good reports on him."

Hatteberg, who will likely back up Adam Dunn at first base, is the third player the Reds have acquired since Krivsky took over. Veteran outfielder Timo Perez was signed to a Minor League deal on Thursday, and pitcher Michael Gosling was claimed off waivers from the Diamondbacks on Friday.

A corresponding move that will allow room for Hatteberg on the Reds' 40-man roster will be announced on Monday.

The front-office restructuring also continued on Sunday.

Johnny Almaraz, who was the director of international scouting, has been promoted to director of player development/international operations.

Tim Naehring, the former player development director, is now the Minor League field coordinator. He replaces Bob Miscik, who was dismissed earlier this month by the club. In his new role, Naehring will be on the field more, working with younger players.

Complete coverage >

"They'll be a nice team," said Krivsky of Almaraz and Naehring. "I'm excited about it. We feel this restructuring will be a positive one. Both people have respective strengths. Setting it up this way will make maximum use of their strengths."

In addition, Bob Miller was named director of baseball administration. Miller, who has spent 24 years in professional baseball -- the last seven with Arizona -- will fill many of the responsibilities held by former baseball operations director Brad Kullman, who was dismissed by Krivsky on Feb. 9.

Scott Nethery was hired as a special assistant to the GM/player personnel and will help evaluate players. Nethery, who has a pro and amateur scouting background, was with the Mets last year and spent the previous 13 years working in the Braves organization.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Semiotter, who the hell is that picture of. That is one of the hottest pictures I've ever seen

Agreed. Semiotter, man if you have her saved, I reccommend you move her to your sig where she can be bigger and better! B)

By the way, Hatteberg is good stuff. :P

Her name is Ashley-Massaro....And I dont know how to get it on my SIG. can any of you guys let me know how?

:sure:

Semiotter, who the hell is that picture of. That is one of the hottest pictures I've ever seen

Agreed. Semiotter, man if you have her saved, I reccommend you move her to your sig where she can be bigger and better! B)

By the way, Hatteberg is good stuff. :P

Her name is Ashley-Massaro....And I dont know how to get it on my SIG. can any of you guys let me know how?

:sure:

I'll PM ya. B)