Complete offseason/mock

WretchedOne

Team Draft Needs: (in no particluar order)

1. Cornerback.

Tory James will not be a Bengal in 2006. While his coverage may still be alright, he has become a HUGE liability in the run game. He's also becoming to old, slow and expensive for the Bengals. James definately has some trade value but I don't want to speculate anything.

Deltha O'Neil is still a superstar but behind him the talent is VERY lacking. Ratliff can definately battle for Tory's spot but we need some good competition for him. The draft IS the way to go as good FA CBs are not cheap. If Body was any good he would have been drafted AT SOME POINT. Bauman is a FA and Brooks can stay behind Deltha.

Bengals will be possibly looking at a 1st round CB. History shows that the top 4-5 CBs are taken in the 1st round every year so if the Bengals want a dominant young star CB they would be well advised to spend a 1st round pick on one.

2. Strong Saftey/Free Saftey.

We are all looking forward to the return of "The African Stallion" M. Williams as he looked to have a tremendous 2nd season and instead got put on IR. He should be able to make a full recovery from his injury and be just as deadly.

I'm expecting Marvin to keep 5 Safties on the roster in 2006 as he learned what being thin at saftey means. Williams will return and Marvin's lone FA pick up will most likely be Tank Williams from the Titans. Tank would like to stay with the Titans but he can't pass up a little more $$ and the chance to be on a potential playoff team. Williams and Williams become the two starters and the need for a saftey in the draft becomes almost obselete.

On the roster at Saftey will aslo be Tab Perry, KK and a 2nd day draft pick. Perry is rumored to be trying it out and he's played the position before. Everything about him says he'd make a good one, it's up to him to learn. I think he's up to it and can be a contributer at Saftey by opening day in 2006.

3. Tight End.

TE is a sore spot for us, no doubt about it. A good TE would open up a lot of things. Schobel and Stewart won't be back so this one's left up to the draft. Luckly for us this draft is stocked with some good TEs.

What peole need to understand is that we don't need a Heap, Gonzalez or Gates type TE, we need a guy who can catch 30-40 balls a season who can also block. We also must consider heavily the size of the TE we look at. Schobel was a good pass catcher when we drated him but he was small. He had to put on weight and lost his quickness. We shouldn't even consider anyone under 255.

We don't need a game breaker at TE, we need a player who makes Ds respect our TE as a threat but we already have Chad whos gets enough attention, we have TJ who's become a nice threat. This offense would still be as deadly with 2 WRs and 1 good TE. Henry was a luxury, luxuries are expendable.

A guy who can snag 30-40 balls a season is essentially our #3 WR.

4. Defensive End.

Yup, this is a bigger need than DT. This is the DE situation: Carl Powell is a FA in March and Duane Clemons will most likely not be back, he does not have the "Marvin" attitude. Justin Smith is a FA in 2007. As of right now, subtracting Powell and Clemons, we have 3 DEs. Smith, Gaethers and Fanene.

Smith will keep his spot in 2006 but I wouldn't expect us to resign him. He'll want big $$ and he's to much of a renegade at times for Marvin's taste. Fanene and Robert battle it out in TC for the other spot and thats a hard one to call. Fanene looked REAL good in limited time, and he's already a big DE (290 lbs) with a quick burst. He'll definatley push RG.

If some problems can be solved in Free Agency that should leave a spot open for Marvin to find us a steal of DE in this draft.

5. Defensive Tackle.

Finally! This is NOT, i repeat NOT a sore spot on this team. Everyone seems to think differently though. We have 3, possibly even 4 if Askew has gotten "it" on this team so why is DT such a big need? IT'S NOT. Just because we have bad run D numbers everyone assumes thats where the problem is. Thats bulls**t, before the last 3 games of the season this team was giving up less than 110 ypg rushing, which was improved from about 134 ypg rushing halfway through the season.

I give most of that credit to Shaun Smith, once he came in we instantly improved. IMO having Smith and Robinson starting at the beginning of the 2006 season would not be a bad thing. BR has more motivation than JT the underachiever, BR actually tries. If Smith and BR started the Bengals would still have JT and Askew to rotate in.

However, I don't see JT being here either but I do see Askew starting instead of Robinson. Mathias finally had that fire under his ass lit, Marvin played mind games with him Kansas City and it worked. He's IRATE and I look for his name to be popping up a lot during Training Camp.

Why do we need a 1st day DT when Smith and Askew would make on hell of a tandem who would wreck havoc. There are some good DTs in this draft that could easily be taken on day 2 and become part of the rotation.

Other Possible Positions:

Offensive Tackle - We still have good depth. Levi, Keift, Andrews, Loughed and I'd expect them to re-sign Willie. We're stacked at C and G but we can always add to the T depth.

Wide Reciver - A good TE would replace the need for a Chris Henry type #3 WR, a good TE would essentially be our #3 anyways. I actually expect the Bengals to go after Peter Warrick and bring him back.

Linebacker - It's ALWAYS a possibility with Marvin Lewis.

2006 Free Agency:

Players who get re-signed:

1. Jeremi Johnson - a hidden part of the cog, but an important piece nonetheless.

2. Kevin Walter - ST monster and stepped it up HUGE in the playoffs. A very solid player.

3. Jon Kitna - The easiest solution to the problem. Bengals make a last minute offer days before FA starts that Kitna can't refuse.

4. Nate Webster - Yes, re-sign Nate. I'd hate to see him go to another team and return to full strength. He's healthy and he could definatly be a starter on this defense. Brian Simmons hasn't had a lot of competition for his OLB spot, it's time he and Nate battle it out.

Players who get signed:

1. Tank Williams - the allure of a little more $$ and the chance to be on a potential playoff team drag him away from Tennesse. He's the perfect addition to a Marvin Lewis style defense. Very intelligent and cerebral.

2. Peter Warrick - Yup, he's coming back. He can be either the #3 or #4 guy, but he's going to take over on Punt Returns for Ratliff.

2006 Draft:

In this draft the Bengals need to solve all or most of the problems on D, with the offense pretty much set for 2006 there is only the defense to worry about.

Round 1: Jonathan Joseph - CB - South Carolina - 5-11/190.

Round 2: Tim Day - TE - Oregon - 6-4/264.

Round 3: Eric Henderson - DE - Georgia Tech - 6-3/265.

Round 4: Calvin Lowry - SS - Penn State - 6-0/200

Round 5: Montavious Stanley - DT - Louisville - 6-2/321.

Round 6: Pierre Woods - OLB - Michigan - 6-4/247

Round 7: Tre Stallings - OT - Ole Miss - 6-4/317.

Opening Day 52-man Roster:

Quarterback:

Carson Palmer

Jon Kitna

Craig Krenzel

Wide Reciver/Tight End:

Chad Johnson

TJ Alphabet

Tim Day*

Peter Warrick

Kevin Walter

PK Sam

Reggie Kelly

Brad St. Louis

Running Back/Full Back:

Rudi Johnson

Chris Perry

Jeremi Johnson

Kenny Watson

Offensive Tackles:

Willie Anderson

Stacey Andrews

Levi Jones

Adam Keift.

Offensive Guards:

Eric Steinbach

Bobbie Williams

Eric Ghiacuic

Larry Moore

Centers:

Rich Braham

Ben Wilkerson

Defensive Ends:

Justin Smith

Robert Gaethers

Jonathan Fanene

Eric Henderson*

Defensive Tackles:

Shaun Smith

Mathias Askew

Bryan Robinson

Montavious Stanley*

Linebackers:

Odell Thurman

David Pollack

Landon Johnson

Caleb Miller

Nate Webster

Brian Simmons

Pierre Woods*

Cornerbacks:

Jonathan Joseph*

Deltha O'Neil

Greg Brooks

Kewian Ratliff

Patrick Body

Safties:

Madieu Williams

Tank Williams

Kevin Kase

Tab Perry

Calvin Lowry*

Kickers:

Shane Graham

Kyle Larson

I really like the thought you put into this, however, I don't really like the draft. CB is a 3rd-5th round need, not necessarily a 1st. If the right CB is there in the 2nd, I'd take him, but I don't think they'll go near a CB in the 1st. People need to realize we need talent NOT DEPTH at DT. With Smith and Askew our reserves are fine. Thornton and Robinson are both decent players, but we need someone who can take double teams away from the outside and provide a good push up the middle, it is a need. At DE we need depth NOT TALENT. However, the Henderson pick in the 3rd wouldn't bother me, I just don't think it is something that needs to be adressed in the 1st two rounds. Tim Day is a good fit; however, he is a reach in the 2nd round. What is the point of drafting another S that will not improve the team at all? We have a little bit of depth there, and can afford to put off a backup S for later. Pierre Woods is not really a fast guy who will play special teams, he is best suited for a backup OLB job in the 3-4. Draft Grade: D+

Great effort and nice job.

TE is a sore spot for us, no doubt about it. A good TE would open up a lot of things. Schobel and Stewart won't be back so this one's left up to the draft. Luckly for us this draft is stocked with some good TEs.

What peole need to understand is that we don't need a Heap, Gonzalez or Gates type TE, we need a guy who can catch 30-40 balls a season who can also block. We also must consider heavily the size of the TE we look at. Schobel was a good pass catcher when we drated him but he was small. He had to put on weight and lost his quickness. We shouldn't even consider anyone under 255.

If I'm not mistaken wasen't schobel a QB coming out of college? also I love oregon and all but I woulden't take day till rnd 3 seems alot of drafts though have pop or lewis falling to us in the 2nd thatd be so sweet

I like the Free Agent Pick ups...but everything else, well sucks.

DT is the biggest sore spot on the team besides Safety. I don't know what kind of crack you were smoking.

Tory James will be a Bengal this year. And Deltha is not lacking in talent. Bauman should remain a Bengal, because he is the only one in the secondary that knows how to properly tackle.

If we sign Tank this offseason, we will be drafting big Gabe Watson with our first pick not Joseph a CB who we dont despertaly need that high in the draft.

P.S. STOP MAKING MOCK DRAFTS, YOU ALREADY HAVE 5, WE UNDERSTAND WHO YOU WANT!

Whur - I keep posting my mocks because peole like you OBVIOUSLY don't get it.

Gate Watson will NEVER even be a consideration for Marvin Lewis. He does NOT fit the mold of what kind of player Marvin Drafts. Don't you get that? Hell, I'd give you $100 if the Bengals drafted Gate Watson, but they won't, DAMN, I'd give you $100 if the Bengals even drafted a 1st day DT....THAT won't happen.

You'd rather read sites like NFL Draft Countdown and make all your assumptions based off what one numbskull who has no affliliation to the NFL at all says. Yup, what he says is absolute and final.

Don't think you're such hot s**t.

Apparently in 2006 you want to watch RBs run outside on us and gain 10 yards every time cause James does not want to tackle, but instead just tries to run his man OB.

I never said ONE WORD about Deltha not being a superstar, In fact, if you read again, I said he WAS still a superstar.

And yes, I'll keep posting more mocks until peole like you get who and what we need to draft.

Bengals fans are always so shocked by Marvin's drafts, but thats because most of the pundits who think they know where we are going are usually HORRIBLY wrong.

A Pundit says one thing and offers a player and fans just gobble it up like its the old testament.

Nevermind looking into something for yourself, analyzing this team and seeing where the true weak spots are, it's just so much easier to fall for the hyped players, and turn a nose to the players that will actually help this team.

So Shaun Smith has no talent...even thouh our run D went from 134 ypg to 107 ypg when he came in.

So Mathias Askew has no talent in making 4 tackles and 1 FF....in the LITTLE bit of playing time he had this season....Did any of our DTs other than Mathias, EVER make 4 tackles in a game, let alone one quarter of football?

Would kinda seem to me that Smith and Askew should be our starters....so what the hell do we need with a 1st day DT?

And Tim Day....with us picking in the LATE 2nd round, Lewis, Davis, Pope and Byrd will ALL be gone. That leaves Day, Fasano and Klop....Day is the best of the 3.

Fasano has fumblitis and Klop can't block.

Day can block, not well, but he can and he dosen't fumble. Why would you take a guy who fumbles or a guy who can't block over the guy dosen't fumble and can block.

I'm going to have to disagree with youy Wretched. While I don't think we are awful at DT, I think we are a hell of a lot better at CB. I like your man Joseph, yet I do not see CB as a first round necessity.

I kind of agree with your statement about Gabe Watson. I agree he's not the type of guy for our system, that is because he is lazy, not because he is big. Watson has rare ability for someone his size, he's got the quickness and strength the get in the backfield and the skills and size to absorb double teams; however, his motor runs high and low, which I think, is why he will not be picked by the Bengals. Marvin does not want a lazy player, but if Watson has good interviews and impressive showings at the combine and private workouts, we may end up talking about him in the 1st Round.

I don't agree with your "No first day DT" statement. We have always been beaten up inside, none of our players command double teams therefore it is harder to free up pass-rushers on the outside. We need a DT who can get penetration and both rush the passer and stop the run. Brodrick Bunkley is that guy, Bunkley gets consitent pressure. He is a hard worker, with the quickness, strength, and bulk Marvin wants. He was an absolute terror on the college level this past year. However, there is a negative, like Travis Johnson, Bunkley was a one-year-wonder in college. Unlike Travis Johnson, he's got a good attitude and the work ethic to be a very good DT in the pros.

• 2 months later...
Round 1: Jonathan Joseph - CB - South Carolina - 5-11/190.

Round 2: Tim Day - TE - Oregon - 6-4/264.

Round 3: Eric Henderson - DE - Georgia Tech - 6-3/265.

Round 4: Calvin Lowry - SS - Penn State - 6-0/200

Round 5: Montavious Stanley - DT - Louisville - 6-2/321.

Round 6: Pierre Woods - OLB - Michigan - 6-4/247

Round 7: Tre Stallings - OT - Ole Miss - 6-4/317.

C'mon, how are you going to use a mock like THAT to force others to eat crow? :lmao:

• 3 months later...

The 2007 draft could look something like this.

Round 1. LaRon Landry S, Louisiana State - Marvin has a history of drafting for depth first and need second, And there is no depth behind Madieu Williams and Dexter Jackson.

Round 2. Tim Crowder DE, Texas - The Insurance pick. No one knows what's going to happen with Justin Smith next year, and whether or not we can even afford to keep him anyways.

Round 3. - Ahmad Brooks ( supplemental ) - We Shall see ?

Round 4. Tyler Ecker TE, Michigan - Very good blocker and solid receiver

Round 5. - Ramzee Robinson CB, Alabama - Good cover skills and a ferocious hitter.

Round 6. Roman Fry G/C, Clemson - Has the same athleticism that Eric Steinbach has. Probably goes higher than this.

Round 7.(a) Amobi Okoye DT, Louisville - Squatty run stuffer.

Round 7.(B) Alvin Banks RB, James Marshall - Runs with power, and finishes every run. Good bounce, but will fall because of playing against lesser competition.

The Guru is back in action. :cheers:

Too early for me to start ciphering but I've got to favor DE 4-3 or 3-4 in the 1st depending on how the LB situation develops. Too much talent at those positions and safeties got to have some man cover skills if they're prime for the 1st. I'd like Michael Griffin over Landry if the Bengals go that route but doubt Griffin will still be there if he passes his on-field tests at SS this year..

• 1 month later...
Round 6. Roman Fry G/C, Clemson - Has the same athleticism that Eric Steinbach has. Probably goes higher

Yeah this guy was real impressive vs. Fla St. He was pulling from LG in pass protection to seal the opposite edge before the rush could there. Excellent quickness off the snap. He also pulls well for traps and blocks downfield well. And on the goal line he threw a drop dead cut block on the game winning TD. He probably does go higher than the 6th but probably won't be ahead of Doug Datish who is showing with his past experience at LT and ability to play C that he too has the athleticism and interior strength to be a pulling LG. I like Fry better as a LG than I do Josh Beekman who I doubt could be any better at that than Ben Wilkerson and probably could only play RG in a addition to C.

I dunno what the Bengals will do with both Landon and Caleb going into year 4. Now there's what will happen with Odumb and whether or not AJ and Brooks can be expected to amount to anything.

But LB still probably ain't the call in the 1st anyway except for maybe Patrick Willis or Earl Everett and I'm doubting they'll be there when the Bengals pick.

Safety shouldn't be real hard to fill in Day 2 if the Bengals wanted to but a safety who can also play corner and has man skills in the slot vs. either big TE or small fast WRs would be choice. Laron or Michael Griffin are probably the only 2 who are going to come close enough to fit that bill this year and neither will likely last until the Bengals pick.

DE still looks decent and even more of 3-4 OLBs or 4-3 SSLB tweeners like Dan Bazuin or LaMarr Woodley look very tempting now that Pollack is a ?. But CBs Fred Bennett and Marcus McCauley are a couple I wouldn't mind seeing in stripes with the 1st pick.

I think we probbley have more chance of keeping caleb,I'm sure if neither resigned they'll atleast get tenders and I could see landon getting picked up decennt contract (nothing insane but not enough for our 4th/5th LB...

I hope we can resign both though to multi year deals there reason why were so deep at lb.