Ted Washington to Oakland

The Raiders made their first strike in free agency Wednesday by reaching a four-year, $14 million deal with defensive tackle Ted Washington that included a $4 million signing bonus.

Washington wasted no time hitting the free agent market after rejecting a three-year, $8 million deal from the Patriots, who thought they were close to having a deal. The reason that the Patriots thought they were close was because they had met Washington's early asking price.

The problem was this was an asking price that dated back to November when Washington wanted to re-sign and not hit free agency. A week ago, the Patriots came to him with a three-year, $7 million offer.

Washington then started to get the sense more money would be available in free agency. He was right. He'll get $5.5 million this season and $8 million over the first two years.

Washington, who turns 36 in April, is considered one of the league's best run-stoppers. He was instrumental in helping the Patriots get to the Super Bowl.

The plan for the Raiders is to use him in a rotation with John Parrella, another run-stopping defensive tackle. Last season, the Raiders gave up 156.9 yards a game on the ground, 4.6 yards a carry.

Here are a couple that come to mind: Traylor,McGlockton,Stubblefield, Grasmanis,R. Smith, and G. Jackson. Granted all of them are not big and fat.

Rod Coleman is better than anything we currently have and has 18 sacks over the past 2 years. If the want to spend the bucks then go after Smith or Coleman.If the money goes for a corner then grab Stubblefield for chump change.

I guess Coleman could work out if we moved John Thornton to the "3 " technique, and put Coleman in his old spot. Coleman is reportedly a very quick lineman,unlike Tony Williams, so Coleman could possibly be the "disrupter" ,and make Thornton the Clean up man like Sapp....??

Have to think that even if we do sign a FA defensive tackle.. we're still gonna draft there ....

Still see a DT and a DE coming to Cincy early....Cornerback as well..

Just read a mock Draft that had Kenechi Udeze coming to the Bengals at 17.... made me a happy man. :lol:

I guess Coleman could work out if we moved John Thornton to the "3 " technique, and put Coleman in his old spot. Coleman is reportedly a very quick lineman,unlike Tony Williams, so Coleman could possibly be the "disrupter" ,and make Thornton the Clean up man like Sapp....??

Have to think that even if we do sign a FA defensive tackle.. we're still gonna draft there ....

Still see a DT and a DE coming to Cincy early....Cornerback as well..

Just read a mock Draft that had Kenechi Udeze coming to the Bengals at 17.... made me a happy man. :lol:

I agree. Drafting a DL with the spot full is not a bad deal. He's not pressured to perform right away and can play a little more freely.

Who else out there is a big fat run stuffer..??? not that Rod Coleman guy!!

Player Pos. FA Type Ht. Wt. Exp. '03 Team '04 Team

Marcus Bell DT RFA 6-2 339 3 Cardinals

Gilbert Brown DT Released 6-2 340 10 Packers

Martin Chase DT UFA 6-2 310 6 Redskins

DeVone Claybrooks DT RFA 6-3 292 2 49ers

Rod Coleman DT UFA 6-2 285 5 Raiders

Lional Dalton DT Released 6-1 315 6 Redskins

Jerry Deloach DT RFA 6-2 315 3 Texans

Eric Downing DT RFA 6-3 315 3 Chiefs

Chad Eaton DT Released 6-5 303 8 Seahawks

Ron Edwards DT RFA 6-3 320 3 Bills

Luther Elliss DT Released 6-5 318 9 Lions

Oliver Gibson DT Released 6-2 304 9 Bengals

Paul Grasmanis DT UFA 6-3 298 8 Eagles

Kelly Gregg DT RFA 6-0 310 4 Ravens Ravens

Cornelius Griffin DT UFA 6-3 300 4 NY Giants

Chris Hoke DT RFA 6-3 296 3 Steelers

Bernard Holsey DT UFA 6-2 286 7 Redskins

Travis Kirschke DT UFA 6-3 292 7 49ers

Lance Legree DT RFA 6-1 300 3 NY Giants

Steve Martin DT UFA 6-4 292 8 Texans

Chester McGlockton DT UFA 6-3 334 12 NY Jets

Kelvin Pritchett DT UFA 6-3 322 13 Lions

James Reed DT RFA 6-0 286 3 NY Jets

Fred Robbins DT UFA 6-4 306 4 Vikings

Warren Sapp DT UFA 6-2 303 9 Buccaneers

Kenny Smith DT RFA 6-4 295 3 Saints

Robaire Smith DT UFA 6-4 310 4 Titans

Glen Steele DT UFA 6-4 300 6 Bengals

Dana Stubblefield DT UFA 6-2 300 11 Raiders

Keith Traylor DT UFA 6-2 340 12 Bears

Rod Walker DT RFA 6-3 320 3 Packers

Josh Williams DT UFA 6-3 290 4 Colts

Cedric Woodard DT UFA 6-2 310 4 Seahawks

Anyone know anything about marcus bell with the cardinals?

What about that Luther Elliss released by Detroit? He looks big, and could come cheap! 27 career sacks, but only played six games last year. Why...I'm not sure. He is kinda old but...

Old and brittle, and I believe I read that he was considering retirement.....Besides, as bad as the Lions are you'd have to ask how anybody could get cut.....I mean I could walk on and play better than some of those cats that they've got.