Family Says Schott on Life Support

xjjeep90

CINCINNATI -- Marge Schott, the primary owner of the Reds for nearly 20 years until 1999, is on life support at Christ Hospital, Cincinnati television station WLWT reported Tuesday.

No other information on Schott's current condition was available.

Family members told WLWT that Schott originally checked into the hospital with a knee problem. They said she had taken a turn for the worse after developing "other ailments," the station reported.

Schott initially was admitted to Christ Hospital on Feb. 9 due to a cold, according to a Cincinnati Post report. A longtime smoker, the 75-year-old Schott developed breathing problems during that stay, but a hospital spokeswoman said at the time that Schott's condition was improving.

Schott has been hospitalized for lung-related problems in recent years. She was in the same hospital last March for pneumonia and was hospitalized twice in 2001 after complaining of breathing problems.

Schott sold her controlling shares in the Reds in 1999, ending a stormy tenure that included suspensions for inflammatory comments. She still owns a limited share in the team.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

Her comments aside...she loved the game. Although she was somewhat misguided in her judgements, you have to respect a WOMAN who had the balls to own a MLB team. Her football counterpart would be Georgia Fontiari (?) of the Rams. You have to admire their will in a male dominated sport, plus Marge DID bring home the World Series in '90...Wire to Wire!! I still own the tape!! B)

Tom Browning , brought home the World Series in '90.... still didn't like her or her stupid dogs.

I met the man. He lived next door to a high school friend of mine in northern Kentucky. Problem with Tom was you never knew if you were going to get a perfect game out him, or a long night of him serving up gopher balls!

And yes, he helped sweep the A's...behind Billy Hatchers bat!

According to this article, George Steinbrenner sent flowers to her funeral - a surprising and classy thing to do, I think.

Marge had some ugly opinions, and she embarassed Cincinnati more than once... but she kept the Reds in town, and prices low, and she really seemed to love the team. Rest in peace, Marge.

Nothing like dying to boost your popularity level. That's not an original .......... in fact its almost a cliche. Marges' passing does provide the proof for the comment though.

You have to admit though a couple of things are kinda " funny " in this whole thing. Some of her biggest gushers have been from the zoo. ( remember Larkins comment ). Also high on the list were sportswriters ................ you gotta figure they'd miss her .............. hell they hardly had to write about the team. All they had to do was scribble down a bunch of quotes from Marge and voila ! they're done for the day. The accolades from the writers probably wouldn't have surprised Marge. After all, even she said that the only ones that were talking bad about her were " the sneaky Jew bastards in New York". She did love animals though.

As an owner, I put her right about even with Uncle Carl. .............. " Redsfan. How can you say that ? She won the series. Start to finish in first place. etc. etc. etc. " Yeah yeah ...... I know. I was as excited about it as anyone. It came at a great time too .... to get everyones mind off the subject of her former manager ... Pete Rose ( embarrassing ). That would be the series where they ran the stories about her not paying Eric Davis' plane fare home because he missed the team flight back to Cincy. He was in the hospital remember ??? He got hurt diving to make a catch. ( embarrassing ) That was also the one in which she said that she would have rather lost the series in 7 games because it would have made her more money than winning in 4. ( embarrassing ) The other thing I remember about that period was how those were the stories that kept getting written, ( by the guys that miss her ) and as an afterthought that the team had won. " Yeah Redsfan .... but Marge paid the players." Uncle Carl is the one who signed Griffey Jr. A master stroke at the time as I recall. And while Jr. could've gotten more money elsewhere, it was the biggest contract in baseball when he signed it. He's also kept Larkin in a Reds uniform for his farewell tour this year before he puts him in the front office. Nope ! World series aside, I call it a wash between Marge and Carl. In fact now that I think of it ......... I like Carl a little better because he's older and we won't have to wait as long for his popularity boost.

I don't hate Marge. I'm not going to dance on her grave ...... or do anything else on it either. I'm also not going to say I'll miss her when I won't or shed any " crocodile tears " ( had to get one last animal reference in ) now that she's gone.

PS ... As to Steinbrenner sending her flowers ............. I had a theory / suspicion that Mike Brown was the evil devilspawn that had been the result of an unholy coupling of Steinbrenner and Marge that occurred during a black mass. As far fetched as it sounds, it was the only explanation that I could come up with for what MB was doing to the team ... the fans .. and everybody else in Cincinnati.