NFL Proposes TV Changes

Kirkendall

Although changes could be a few years away, NFL fans shouldn't get too comfortable on their couches.

In the next TV contract for 2006, February might be a month with more playoff games. And fans could have an extra hour of Sunday leisure.

Moving back the start of the season at least a week and pushing back kickoff times for Sunday games are among the proposals former ESPN/ABC Sports President Steve Bornstein has asked the networks to consider in negotiations. Bornstein, hired as NFL executive vice president, is charged with boosting the rights fees from the current eight-year, $17.8 billion deal.

It is expected that negotiations could be conducted this fall, a year sooner than scheduled.

Two high-ranking network executives outlined the proposal, but Bornstein and officials from Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC/ESPN and HBO declined comment.

"I am aware of some of these discussion points," TV consultant Neal Pilson said Thursday. "I think it makes sense the league is consulting with its partners on how to improve the television packages. I'm sure the networks welcome being consulted."

IMG's Barry Frank said, "I certainly respect the fact the NFL should explore every possibility. I'd think everybody would agree on moving up the negotiations.

"It's a good time to be negotiating. The ratings are strong and business has picked up."

Other proposals the NFL has floated to the networks:

•Move back starting times for Sunday afternoon games on Fox and CBS an hour to 2 and 5 p.m. ET. A similar move in playoff games has resulted in higher ratings. CBS would probably be against the plan because it would further delay "60 Minutes," the network's highly successful news program.

•Drop the AFC/NFC delineations on Sunday afternoon games. Fox and CBS would alternately choose games when the schedule is determined in April.

•Move back the start of the season one to two weeks, with the goal of moving some of the playoffs into the February TV ratings sweeps period.

•Move ABC's Monday Night Football to Thursday. That probably won't happen as MNF's ratings improved last year and NBC and CBS have traditionally had stronger counter programming on Thursday.

•Add a fifth TV package of games, possibly on Thursday nights. TNT, HBO and Fox/Comcast figure to be interested in a new package that might be valued at $500 million to $800 million a year. If the NFL obtains 3% to 5% increases in the present packages, it likely would not pursue an extra TV partner.

The funny thing is.. .The nfl coverage made a significant jump, running as the status guo.... monday and sunday games.. late season saturday games etc... Now they want to change something that works .

The new T.V. schedule (proposal) is kinda ridiculous I think.The parody that happens in football now, is the reason why people are watching. Sure the dynasty's were nice, but people (especially small market teams) want to watch their teams bid for upsets.. etc. etc.

T.V. wants to keep the ratings up.. keep giving more money to the teams for for their salary caps... that's what is gonna keep ratings up.

The funny thing is.. .The nfl coverage made a significant jump, running as the status guo.... monday and sunday games.. late season saturday games etc... Now they want to change something that works .

The new T.V. schedule (proposal) is kinda ridiculous I think.The parody that happens in football now, is the reason why people are watching. Sure the dynasty's were nice, but people (especially small market teams) want to watch their teams bid for upsets.. etc. etc.

T.V. wants to keep the ratings up.. keep giving more money to the teams for for their salary caps... that's what is gonna keep ratings up.

Personally, I would love the Thursday night games. I think it would do awesome. As for the proposel, I don't think any of them include anything that would hurt ratings. They are increasing viewership by default in most circumstances. Football is the most watched and when it's on, people will watch anyway.

You know the real reason why this could Happen... On the East Coast, we watch at 1:00 p.m. already had breakfast, lunch, church etc..??? People on the West wake up and go "Damn I'm missing Kickoff"... :lol::D:lol:

Chris! You are right on target. Living out here in Arizona, we get the games coming on at 10:00 am and 1:00 pm, with the Sunday nighter at 5:00 pm. If they are missing out on any audience out this way, it's the Kitna types goin' to "Sunday Go To Meeting!"

And I doubt any real fans miss kickoff out here, barring the most severe of hangovers. If we miss anything, it all the hype pre-game shows. Who gives a rats ass, although I do love Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long, oh...and their weather chick with the awesome rack.

Come football season I have THREE tv's minimum on in my living room on Sunday morning. Two for football, and one for Nascar. Which one's volume is up is controlled through my audio control panel, depending on where the action is the best at any given time.

For me...Sundays really don't happen until the football season starts complementing my Nascar races! Once that commences, I'm in for an all day sports orgasm!! B)