Clinton Portis a Redskin?

Kirkendall

From the Denver Post...

INDIANAPOLIS - The Broncos and Washington Redskins are closing in on a blockbuster deal that would send Denver's Pro Bowl running back Clinton Portis to Washington for Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey.

In addition to Bailey, Denver is asking for Washington's second-round pick in the April draft, National Football League sources confirmed this weekend.

Until now, the Redskins have balked at surrendering the pick, one reason no agreement has been announced. Yet at least two other sources close to the Redskins say the deal, which would be one of the biggest in football history, is all but done.

The Broncos are trying to first finalize a new contract with Pro Bowl middle linebacker Al Wilson before dealing with the Redskins. The Wilson deal could be completed today.

But if the trade between Denver and Washington were completed, Bailey then would need to be signed as well - likely to a lucrative contract.

This is the reason trade talks even began to percolate. Washington grew frustrated over its stalled negotiations with Bailey, and Denver does not want to negotiate a new deal with Portis, who still has two years remaining on his contract.

A Denver deal with Bailey might not be as difficult. Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, has worked with the Broncos on numerous contracts in the past, including kicker Jason Elam's in February 2003 and safety Nick Ferguson's last month.

The NFL trading period opens March 3, but the Broncos and Redskins could agree to a deal before then - if they haven't already. The Redskins appear to be soliciting offers from, among others, the Detroit Lions, New York Jets and Houston Texans.

"As to who we'd be interested in, right now that's something we want to keep to ourselves," Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said this weekend.

Broncos officials declined to comment on the possible deal.

None of the possible trading partners could offer a player as prolific as the 22-year-old Portis, Denver's record-setting running back who predicted at this month's Pro Bowl that a 2,000-yard season is in his view.

Anyone who watched him rush for 1,591 yards last season, despite missing three games with sternum and ankle injuries, would not question it.

"I know my 2,000 will come," Portis said in Honolulu. "It's just a matter of time."

While the deal would be met with cheers in Washington, it would be met with even louder cheers in Kansas City. During the Broncos' past two games in Denver against the Chiefs, Portis rushed for 348 yards and scored nine touchdowns.

There are questions within the Broncos organization about whether running backs Quentin Griffin, Ahmaad Galloway and Mike Anderson would be good enough to carry the team through the playoffs.

Should Denver land the extra pick from Washington, the team would be positioned to draft one of this year's higher-rated running backs, perhaps even former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett, with whom Broncos officials met Thursday night.

Moreover, Denver's defense would be instantly fortified and upgraded. Bailey would be the prototype cornerback the Broncos have coveted since they showered millions on Dale Carter during the 1999 offseason. Bailey, 25, is regarded as one of the game's top cornerbacks.

Asked at the Pro Bowl to name the best cornerback in the game, Philadelphia's five-time Pro Bowl cornerback Troy Vincent said: "Cover-wise, you have to look at Champ Bailey. Champ has the best cover skills."

Although he is regarded as a supreme cover corner, Bailey has failed to make some of the big plays he did early in his career. During his five NFL seasons, Bailey's interception totals have dropped from five in each of his first two seasons to three in 2001 and 2002 to only two last season.

But the Broncos are not concerned with the plays Bailey didn't make in Washington but rather the ones they think he could make for them.

With Bailey blanketing one side of the field in man-to-man coverage, Denver would be able to offer more help to its other cornerback, Lenny Walls, who played exceedingly well the first half of last season but struggled in the second half when wide receivers figured out he could not cover the counter move.

Denver's secondary could use a jolt. In its first playoff appearance since the 2000 season, Denver allowed Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning to complete 22 of 26 passes for 377 yards and five touchdowns.

But the only way to get a player of Bailey's abilities is to surrender a younger and more productive one. Ordinarily, Denver would not consider trading Portis. However, the organization is leery of Portis' request for a new contract at a time when he has two years remaining on his current one.

If the trade comes to fruition, it would go down as one of the biggest in NFL history. Perhaps the biggest also involved the Broncos, who in 1983 traded backup quarterback Mark Hermann, offensive tackle Chris Hinton and a 1984 first-round draft pick that turned out to be guard Ron Solt to the Colts for the rights to quarterback John Elway.

The other notable football trade involved the Dallas Cowboys, who in 1989 sent running back Herschel Walker to the Minnesota Vikings for five players, six draft choices and a first-round pick in the 1992 draft.

The Cowboys' then-coach, Jimmy Johnson, used two of those picks to draft Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher, and safety Darren Woodson, a five- time Pro Bowl selection and the team's all-time leading tackler.

if this trade happens, like it looks like it will, the gm for the broncos needs to get fired. They dont need a CB that badly and Griffen is too damn small. He cannot carry the load like Portis could, and Plummer is s**t without Portis.

Also if this happens, u can just add the redskins to the playoffs next year.

So let me get this straight.....Broncos get Bailey.. who they have to sign..? Redskins get a player that still has 2 years on contract for 335,000 and 400,000. dollars..? And Denver wants an additional 2nd round pick ? Washington would be without it's 2nd, and 3rd(Brunell) and would only have a 1st,4th, 5th ,6th,and it's 7th , granted they don't owe any picks to any other teams...and vice versa..??

Redskins would lose it's best cornerback...gain a young running back to add to Ledell Betts,Trung Canidate,and who knows else..? and get Brunell... 34 years old...too much money.. 43.3 million over 7 years..???

Anybody remember that movie... "Something Wicked This Way Comes'..?

Washington would be without it's 2nd, and 3rd(Brunell) and would only have a 1st,4th, 5th ,6th,and it's 7th , granted they don't owe any picks to any other teams...and vice versa..??

Keep in mind, they do pick up Clinton Portis and that's way better than a 2nd round pick. I think the objection should lay within the quick degradation in defense. But I attack this in KBLOG.

and get Brunell... 34 years old...too much money.. 43.3 million over 7 years..???

I think with all that Washington is doing, this is the one that baffles me the most. How do you sign Brunell to a $43 million deal for 7 years. When the contract is up, provided he's actually on the team, he'll be over 40. HAH! Plus he got an $8.6 million bonus. I don't understand this move.

and get Brunell... 34 years old...too much money.. 43.3 million over 7 years..???

I think with all that Washington is doing, this is the one that baffles me the most. How do you sign Brunell to a $43 million deal for 7 years. When the contract is up, provided he's actually on the team, he'll be over 40. HAH! Plus he got an $8.6 million bonus. I don't understand this move.

Hell, I heard that even Brunell was shocked at the money. What the hell? It just goes to show that Gibbs or not, Snyder wants to play fantasy football, not real football....It's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I mean when was the last time Brunell was able to win a game? Over the hill. If Brunell is generating this much interst we should put kitna on the block, and see what happens....(I know who I would rather have start, and he ain't in Florida)

As for Washington not having many draft pikks, again look what Snyder has done before, last year he signed so many RFAs that the skins only had a few picks....they signed 4 RFA's from the Jets, and at least 3 of those had to be compensated with draft picks....

No big deal for one year, but the Redskins are committing long term suicide by losing so many picks cause they'll have no quality young players, and the trouble they are gonna be in with the cap will be even worse, cause they'll have to field a team of about 40% undrafted FA's if snyder keeps up this...Hell, apparently he said no to the Dolphins giving the skins a 1st round pick for Ramsey...What an ass.

Hell, I heard that even Brunell was shocked at the money. What the hell? It just goes to show that Gibbs or not, Snyder wants to play fantasy football, not real football....It's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I mean when was the last time Brunell was able to win a game? Over the hill. If Brunell is generating this much interest we should put kitna on the block, and see what happens....(I know who I would rather have start, and he ain't in Florida)

Let me throw two things at you, and of course they can't be answered until the end of the 2004 season -- god I wish it would be here already!. First of all, I know that Snyder spends a lot of money, but he spent it on players that Spurrier thought was an asset to the team. Now we have Gibbs who, with three rings, knows how to win. So personally I'm going to hold off my criticism of the owner until the results are displayed. Gibbs knows what he wants and with his history, I think he should be given a free pass for a season or two.

Secondly, Brunell, has had a very poor cast of characters, with Taylor consistently hurt, WRs going to different teams and a bad defense; I think it's too early to write the conclusion in Brunell's book.

Oddly.... with whatever problems the Jaguars have had on offense.. they've drafted defense heavy over the last 3 seasons. Jimmy Smith is 36 years old...? I mean It's a Front Office problem that youth and talent wasn't drafted until after they figured they couldn't get anything out of Brunell anymore and drafted His Replacement.

I just hope that the Jaguars draft for need at # 9 and not the " best player available". They need some wide receiver help. Taylor is healthy... but are they really expecting Leftwich to develop throwing to Troy Edwards..???

I have talked to a few of my friends and we have come up with something. If this trade goes through, Portis for Bailey and a 2nd round pick, then that leaves Denver with only Griffen who is 5'7". Mike Anderson wants to be released because Denver wants to give him a paycut but with incentives. Our thinking if all this happens, Denver with that extra 2nd round pick, might go after Dillon. *keeps fingers crossed*

I have talked to a few of my friends and we have come up with something. If this trade goes through, Portis for Bailey and a 2nd round pick, then that leaves Denver with only Griffen who is 5'7". Mike Anderson wants to be released because Denver wants to give him a paycut but with incentives. Our thinking if all this happens, Denver with that extra 2nd round pick, might go after Dillon. *keeps fingers crossed*

Actually, that could make sense. I think Shanahan is putting a lot of stock into Griffith, but this is a good thought. Might even be our best chance of getting Dillon out of here, ONLY if we give Rudi a multi-year deal -- if not, then no, we don't get rid of Dillon.

Is it just me, or are were going to have to give Dan Snyders Redskins their own forum topic classification?

First we had the Joe Gibbs hiring, then the Champ Bailey unending news, followed by the Mark Brunell signing, and now the possible Clinton Portis deal, on top of Snyders fighting of the NFL's league agreement. Holy crap!! Is this club seriously attending to matters, or what? :blink:

I think with all that Washington is doing, this is the one that baffles me the most.  How do you sign Brunell to a $43 million deal for 7 years.  When the contract is up, provided he's actually on the team, he'll be over 40.  HAH!  Plus he got an $8.6 million bonus.  I don't understand this move.

Is it just me, or are were going to have to give Dan Snyders Redskins their own forum topic classification?

First we had the Joe Gibbs hiring, then the Champ Bailey unending news, followed by the Mark Brunell signing, and now the possible Clinton Portis deal, on top of Snyders fighting of the NFL's league agreement. Holy crap!! Is this club seriously attending to matters, or what? :blink:

LOL. Sure seems that way, but they have made the most noise this off-season so far. We've had a lot to talk about with these Potomac Bison Drainage Persons.

How about Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons? :lol:

I see. Your being politically correct. Well knock it off!! I hate it! I'm known as a short person!! 5'5"! I'm not "Vertically Challenged"!! :rolleyes:

And they are the Washington Redskins!! I have indian friends out here in Arizona (the Yavapai Indian Tribe) who WORSHIP the Washington Redskins just because of their name!! They wear that teams jacket with great pride instead of the Arizona Cardinals, but all in all, who could blame them for that!?! They take no offense to being called a redskin as much as I don't from being called a "honky"!

How about Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons?  :lol:

I see. Your being politically correct. Well knock it off!! I hate it! I'm known as a short person!! 5'5"! I'm not "Vertically Challenged"!! :rolleyes:

And they are the Washington Redskins!! I have indian friends out here in Arizona (the Yavapai Indian Tribe) who WORSHIP the Washington Redskins just because of their name!! They wear that teams jacket with great pride instead of the Arizona Cardinals, but all in all, who could blame them for that!?! They take no offense to being called a redskin as much as I don't from being called a "honky"!

Nah, I'm just making fun of activists. I have a real problem with people that can't handle the way the world is and can't handle something so small as calling an NFL team, since 1932, the Redskins.

I'm a former Miami Redskins student, and when they renamed it to the Redhawks, it pissed me off for a couple of weeks because there is NO POINT TO IT, considering the team has been named that since around 1900. My mother is quarter Cherokee so I’m not racist or anything like that; and I definitely don’t feel any justice nor right was done. I don’t feel like my heritage was destroyed nor harmed. Just an institution that promoted a long and historic tradition of athletics and education; Miami didn’t harm a soul.

Why don’t these liberals complain about problems with Bengal Tigers, or Panther cats, or other feline animals? Where’s PETA (Pissing on Everything Truly American)? I’m sure birds don’t want their names on uniforms like the Cardinals, Blue Jays or Eagles. What about Marlins or Devil Rays?

What about the Atlanta Braves? Why aren’t they forced to rename? Oh, that’s why, because the owner Ted Turner is a big time liberal and helps their cause! Hypocrites.

What about the Milwaukee Brewer? Promotion of alcohol is good for children?

Why aren’t Americans mad that a team called the Yankees, because that’s a term often times internationally used to passively insult America. “Aye matty, those Yanks are crazy”.

I’m sure the ones that protested the whole thing don’t have a ounce of Indian blood in them. It’s those crying hippy liberals that activate just so they can make a name for themselves. Yet, they don’t touch true problems in America like education, Medicare reform, homeland security, drugs, violent crimes, immigration, etc.

Note to every hard working American that lives their lives for recreation of sports only television and publicity loving liberals want to destroy our favorite teams by making them “politically correct”, tell ‘em to jump off a very tall building.

Good bless America!

Oh well, I hope this doesn't start a crappy political debate.

:D

The hypocrasy of those groups really only goes so far.. But what they are lacking is the progression of education about that culture...

What they should have been fighting for wasn't a name change because the work " MIAMI" is also a tribal word, and the name of a particular tribe of Seminole Indian. Also a Member of the Shushuni (12) Native Americans. Just look at most of the cities in Ohio ( which is an N.A. word.) Piqua.. Lima, Wapakeneta, and the list goes on and on .

Instead of trying to rename schools or teams, they should force the Schools and respective leagues to give free education about their culture; Instead of Fighting for Words, they should be fighting for the progression of their culture.

What they should have been fighting for wasn't a name change because the work " MIAMI" is also a tribal word, and the name of a particular tribe of Seminole Indian. Also a Member of the Shushuni (12) Native Americans. Just look at most of the cities in Ohio ( which is an N.A. word.) Piqua.. Lima, Wapakeneta, and the list goes on and on .

And for that matter, Chicago and Seattle too...We've literally ran them off their land, but at least we still got cities named after them! I mean, I don't mind indians (But I cant stand that stupid little grin, It reminds me of some pickaninny) and braves, but redskin is a little offensive though....thats like calling a team the Minnesota Pasties (get my drift?) Or the Yangztee High Yellas...I remember there was a negro league team called the Black Crackers....LOL or as Chris Rock would say, the black cracka ass crackas... :lol: All I'm saying is at least they could give them a more respectful name, if they're gonna name their team after Native Americans....the BlackHawks is a cool name, its like representing a tribe name.....but hell what do I know?