Brunell going to Washington

Kirkendall

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The deal that will send Mark Brunell to the Washington Redskins is done -- finally.

Talks that began during Super Bowl week wrapped up late Thursday, when agent Leigh Steinberg and Redskins owner Dan Snyder agreed to a seven-year, $43 million contract with an $8.6 million signing bonus for the longtime Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback.

The deal becomes official once the offseason trading period begins March 3. The Redskins will give the Jaguars a third-round draft pick for Brunell, according to a source familiar with the negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity.

My take:

How in the hell can the Redskins give a QB a seven year deal when he's already 34? This deal must be back heavy since they are about as tight to the cap and will be for a few years.

Ya gotta admit with Joe Gibbs out of Nascar, and back coaching the Redskins, he got positive things happening there already. He's a winner no matter what he does! :blink:

I wouldn't consider Joe Gibbs a winner yet until he proves he can win with that MORON Dan Snyder continually putting out money for washed up players. i.e.. Deion Sanders,Bruce Smith, and now Mark Brunell.

Brunell hasn't played at a pro bowl caliber level in 4 years. With all of his past injuries ,both to his legs and his numerous concussions, only goes to show that Dan Snyder is best suited to own a NHL team rather than an NFL franchise.

Paying a 6.8 million dollar signing bonus to a 34 year old quarterback 2 seasons after drafting Patrick Ramsey in the 1st round , is exactly the reason why the Redskins stay so close to cap problems year in and year out.

TO Dan Snyder: Give up. THere is no hope for you as an NFL owner. Take some advice from Mark Cuban( Dallas Mavericks), at least if you are going to be a under 40 owner of a professional team, first learn how to bring quality players to your squad before shelling out the big bucks for them.

You'd have thought that he learned his lesson by now..!!!

I wouldn't consider  Joe Gibbs a winner yet until he proves he can win with that MORON  Dan Snyder continually putting out money for washed up players

The odds are good that he will improve a struggling Washington team from where they are presently. B)

I'll give Joe the benefit of the doubt form the legacy he's established there. He'll be the voice of reason when developing a championship NFL team.

I think Spurrier got jobbed in this one. If he was on a lesser team, covered less in the media, he wouldn't have been pressured day in and day out to produce a winner. He would have been able to develop as a rookie head coach instead of the crap we've heard from his "inability to win" like his days in Florida. Spurrier was set up to fail!!!!

Brunell hasn't played at a pro bowl caliber level in 4 years. With all of his past injuries ,both to his legs and his numerous concussions, only goes to show that Dan Snyder is best suited to own a NHL team rather than an NFL franchise.

I'm going to disagree slightly with this. For the past three seasons, all losing seasons, Fred Taylor was hurt in one and the defense in two seasons was horrible. The offensive line wasn't suited to protect him and basically, he had way too much on his shoulders to win with nothing. Sure the injuries have affected him, they affect all when suffered, but I really think Brunell can rebound for 3-4 really good seasons.

TO Dan Snyder: Give up. THere is no hope for you as an NFL owner. Take some advice from Mark Cuban( Dallas Mavericks), at least if you are going to be a under 40 owner of a professional team, first learn how to bring quality players to your squad before shelling out the big bucks for them.

I really believe an NFL owner is pressured from day one to win everyday. If he can't, the mass attacks him and goes against him. Snyder needs to remove the idea that buying teams is the formula for winning; this isn't true in the NFL. He needs to develop a foundation for his business that will allow him to enjoy the product he owns -- which by the way is the most valued of all franchises by Forbes.

Paying a 6.8 million dollar signing bonus to a 34 year old quarterback 2 seasons after drafting Patrick Ramsey in the 1st round , is exactly the reason why the Redskins stay so close to cap problems year in and year out.

Chris, this is way baffles me the most. I can understand a 2-3 year deal, but 7!?? I think this is all Gibb's doing. He really wants veteran leadership on offense, and I agree with him; Brunell is the best QB available through trade and FA.

The odds are good that he will improve a struggling Washington team from where they are presently.

Billy, I'll go one step further. I think the 'Skins are legitimate 2005 playoff contenders. Give them one year of molding and watch the magic work for arguably the best Washington Redskin coach of all time.

The only nascar reference I will make about the Brunell signing and the Washington Redskins is....

You can't win football games when your quarterback has blown tires.!!

As to the reference about Brunell's struggling team-mates, yes he was surrounded by players of less talent, which shows that when necessary , he's not good enough to carry a team when they need him to. I'm not expecting Brunell to throw for 300 yards a game ,but if the Jaguars coaching staff believed as either Joe Gibbs, or Dan Snyder now believe, Byron Leftwich would have probably ended up being a Carolina Panther or Raven.