schobel didn't fumble

Kazkal

I agree he did fumble, but I thought the ref blew him down and then went to mark the ball. The ref thought that he was down and went to mark him down, but then decided to change his mind, apparentally.

Is it just me or in the picture above don't both 21 and 97 look older than the hills?

Anyway, the Schobel play was the clearest indication to me that this is the Bengals' year. In past years, that WOULD have gone as a TD, AND CJ's pass would have been called offensive interference and no catch, etc., etc. But the Bengals have put some work in to show that they are competent and they are not MAKING THEIR OWN BREAKS like all winners do!

So get over it, Ravens!

He def fumbled. He def sucks at everything but blocking. The ref was just trying to cover his own ass.

You're right. I think the only think they screwed up was the "inadvertant whistle". You can file this play under the "shoo, we avoided that one".

More evidence the black cloud over Cincinnati has turned to bright blue skies.

the referee did blow him down.

That just doesn't sound right JB... :blink::crazy::gathering:

1. He did fumble

2. it was a blown call

3. Shobel was holding the ball in the wrong hand! Coaches teach you to hold the ball AWAY from defenders and/or in the hand nearest to the sidelines! It's one of the first things you learn at a skill position so if the ball is stripped it has a higher chance to go out of bounds. Elementary mistake by a veteran TE. :angry:

I'll also add that I think the call was correct as far as granting the Ravens the ball at the fumble. Under the circumstances had they not done that all heck would have broken loose. They did keep in mind that since the whistle was blown a good amount of the Bengals stopped on the play and didn't persue. Had they gave the TD to the Ravens I would have been really hacked off.

clearly a fumble, but had the whistle not blown, 47 would have been tackled. so maybe a net loss of yrds for ratbirds but no major error.

Did anyone see how effective the TE position is in both the Colts and Pats game on Monday. Clark for Indy and Watson for NE show how effective a weapon a good TE can be, not the lame-o TE's on the current roster. Watsons rumble for a TD off a screen was as good a play-call I've seen in a while.

There's an amazing video piece on NFL.com of Meisen talking to the head of officiating for the NFL about this very call. And he says that, in fact, the officials made two errors. The first error was blowing the whistle and calling the runner down. But the second mistake was choosing to give Baltimore the ball, because once that ruling was made, the runner is down and the call cannot be challenged or reversed. It should have stayed cincy's ball. I was screaming this during the game but the TV just wouldn't listen.

clearly a fumble, but had the whistle not blown, 47 would have been tackled. so maybe a net loss of yrds for ratbirds but no major error.

Did anyone see how effective the TE position is in both the Colts and Pats game on Monday. Clark for Indy and Watson for NE show how effective a weapon a good TE can be, not the lame-o TE's on the current roster. Watsons rumble for a TD off a screen was as good a play-call I've seen in a while.

Clark had one catch for 4 yards.

I think we need to go after a good tight end(TE) in the off season, or draft a half way decent one.

Shobel is ok at best and he shows some spots of ability, but he follows it up by dropping a pass that hits him right in the hands(Dolphins game last year).

Reggie Kelly I feel is getting worse and worse every year. People try to defend him by saying he is a good blocker, which is total BS. Watching him blow some blocks this year especially vs the Ravens made me sick. Plus he is like Shobel when the ball is thrown to him, sometimes he will catch it and look good, but other times I think I could catch some of the passes he drops.

As for Tony Stewart, don't get me started on him, there is a reason he is 3rd on the depth chart for a reason. He has dissapeared or been nonexistent on offense even in blocking situations.

I know that many say that we don't need a good pass catching tight end because of our offensive style, but it wouldn't hurt us to have one. We especially need a TE that can block, I just hope we get someone in the offseason that is better than the three "great" TE's we have above <_< .

correct. maybe not a big "stat" game but he also blocked very well. I left off Graham and Fletcher but they also had very good games...effective use of the TE.

I think we have as much or more talent at WR than Indy and NE so the TE role sees less passes to catch. In the future, a good TE will clear space for Chad and TJ. Can't defend everything.

I don't see the point in arguing blown calls. If you lose a game because of one play, you didn't put yourself in a good enough position to win.

As for our TE's, no, we don't need them to be Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez, considering all the other weapons we have. But wouldn't it be nice to have a solid, every-down player that we could count on in a pinch?

And to think there used to be players who could play both offense and defense. Today it's an accomplishment to be able to both block and catch.