Filling our needs for next year?

belmontbengal

Ok, so I am seeing this "get rid of schobel" thread and it did make me ponder.

Probly not in the original intent of the topic starter, but I thought of this.

Who is going to be a FA for the Bengals that we MUST resign? Who will be available in the FA market that we NEED to sign? Who is looking mighty good in the draft that we should take a flyer on?

Let's see some ideas and solid info. I really don't know who all we could be losing next year and would like to see some heady discussion on improving the horrid run D.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TO will be a free agent next year!

I'm sure you are saying that tongue in cheek, but you can have his punk ass. Some dudes at the pub were talking about how great it would be to have Chad and TO at receiver. No freaking way! Andy Reid thought the Eagles had a solid enough organization to withstand TO and his antics. Guess what? He has destoyed that team. Somebody will sign this jerk, but I can only hope he has either cost himself a boat load of money, or at least a chance to play for another contender.

Trade his butt to Houston!

Yes, I was joking. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of the NFL. Who would want to sign him knowing he might decide he doesn't want to play for them and force a trade to someone else OR just be a negative influence and not play.

Plus it appears as if he may have been faking his injury. How do you go from doubtful one day, to practicing the next? This guy is a nighmare, even for that snake Agent of his.

He will play for somebody, because there is always one more idiot out there. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders go after him. Wow, could you imagine Moss & TO battling over who can be the biggest punk?

A team will take T.O. And I wouldn't be suprised if he is playing for the Eagles again this year. Talent trumps all.

I don't know about our own FA's but I don't think any of our starters are up this year(J Smith?) I hope they resign Reggie Myles.

Personally, I don't put too much stock in FA's. It rarely works out and you almost always overspend.

keep these good drafts coming and build a playoff team for years to come.

I know Chris Hovan is mostly hype... but I think the rest of the league is realizing that now too. He's a free agent next year,and is better than any DT's we have. If we sign him, and get a guy in the draft, we might have a damn decent line next year...

What do you think? Is Hovan better than Robinson?

Not sure, but I do know he had a big year for sacks with Minnesota when he was in his early years, so he must have something going for him. (though that could have been John Randle helping that along) I would need to see more of Hovan before that was decided. Plus, I do agree that if we can land a STUD DT in the first round of the coming draft and then snag us a safety in 2 or 3 we are lookin MUCH better on D.

So, I guess another question is: Who is a senior/junior this year at DT and likely to come out?

Another question: With Brian Simmons aging a bit but still a very capable LB (NOT sayin Simmons stinks, please note) do we hope Caleb Miller steps up to be his apprentice or do we go back to the draft once more? (being a Bucks fan I can't help but wonder how far Bobby Carpenter will last, you know Hawk will go round one, but could his teammate drop to round 3 or even 4? If so, I would take a flyer on him in 4.)

i think carpanter is the better of the 2.

anyways we need to resign reggie myles, hopefully on the cheap, he's our special teams ace.

we need to work on extending our O line and maybe trying to extend J smith, see if we can get him for on the cheap.

Only FA i beg of Marvin lewis to go after is Adam archuleta...and I mean PAY the man to come here.

imagine our 2ndary with him and madieu williams.

other then that maybe some d line help, but honestly I'm hoping we draft some big boys in the 1st 2 rounds.

Only FA i beg of Marvin lewis to go after is Adam archuleta...and I mean PAY the man to come here.

I wouldn't complain about such a move, but I think he is just too old to be worth consideration. He's already lost a step, and I don't know if he'd be much more of a contributor on this defense than Kim Herring will be next year.

I wouldn't complain about such a move, but I think he is just too old to be worth consideration. He's already lost a step, and I don't know if he'd be much more of a contributor on this defense than Kim Herring will be next year.

wtf?

archuleta was drafted in 01 and is only 27 years old.

Ed Reed is only 1 year and 1 month younger then him.

wtf?

archuleta was drafted in 01 and is only 27 years old.

Ed Reed is only 1 year and 1 month younger then him.

I must be thinking of the wrong player then. I'm not sure.

I think Hawk is better than Carpenter... as does most of the world... but our needs are not at LB. In fact... if we draft either one of these guys, I'll be pissed off. I'm as a big a Bucks fan as anyone, but you can't be an OSU homer when it comes to the draft.

In fact, even KK has been good enough at SS to show me we need nothing other than a DT in the first round. Luckily DT is pretty deep in this years draft... and none of them should go in the top 10, so there should be plenty to pick from in the 1st round when we pick.

Believe it or not... on one site or another, you can find any one of these guys going in the first round:

Rodrique Wright, 6-5, 320, Texas

Haloti, Ngata, 6-5, 345, Oregon

Gabe Watson, 6-4, 331, Michigan

LeKevin Smith, 6-2, 310, Nebraska

Orien Harris, 6-4, 300, Miami

Anthony Montgomery, 6-5, 315, Minnesota

Jesse Maholena, 6-2, 300, Tennessee

Dusty Dvoracek, 6-3, 295, Oklahoma

In most cases, there are 4 or 5 DT's projected to go in the first round. All of this tells me that it is a deep and fairly even class... and Marvin will pretty much get his pick as to what style DT he wants.

My preference would be Maholena from Ten... because he's quick, and is excellent against the run. They say he's not great in the pass rush... but is always seems like he is the very first person in the backfield against the rush... and with our secondary, that is exactly what we need.

I'd be real surprised if Kiwi don't go Top 10. He could be as good as Bruce Smith at the next level.

So barring a substantial trade up, there's seems no shot at getting Kiwi.

However, he did get injured from a chop block vs. Virginia IIRC so a significant injury could drop his stock the way it seemed to do for Kenechi Udeze 2 years ago. Still doubtful he'd fall very fall in the 1st.

DT wise, I don't like any of them coming out for a 1st round pick yet.

Wright looks like an underachiever.

Watson prone to fat slob syndrome.

Ngata too a$$ heavy (though his bullrush ability is interesting if Bengals stick to a straight 4 man rush most of the time).

Orien Harris a waste of space.

I like Montgomery but he seems better suited to play DT in a 4-3 that stunts a lot, which is a good fit if the Bengals go back to this rather than sticking more with a straight ahead 4 man rush. But he's looks slower to me than he did last year and he looks more like a late 1st day pick to me.

Mahelona has got that drive you want to see but he too seems like a reach to me in the 1st much like Claude Wroten.

Haven't watched Lekvin Smith or Dusty Dvoracek so I got no opinion based on watching.

I say an interchangeable Madieu-like safety who can also play CB if needed, 2 TEs including one with H-back and FB abiltities, and a weakside backer should be draft priorities.

I completely agree with everything Schweinhart said. Though some draft boards may have DT's listed in the first, none of them, save possibly Ngata, seems to actually be much of a force on the field. Remember, DT is just about the trickiest position to draft in terms of translating to NFL success. Those who work out were often absolute BEASTS in college (like a Warren Sapp), and we don't see that this year. I will say that Ngata seems to be double-teamed virtually every play, so it's tough to measure him. However, guys like Gabe Watson and Wright are getting benched by their own teams. I wouldn't exactly call that first round material.

I actually disagree with the Linebacker comment made earlier as well. The thing about someone like a Bobby Carpenter (rumored to have sub 4.5 speed) is that he has an amazing pass rush. If we don't get one of the two premier DE's in the first round (we won't), I think this is as good an option as any. But yes, the CB/SS interchangeable player (Jimmy Williams (won't get him), Huff, Jason Allen and play-making Tight End are the way to go.

If the talent was there, we could do otherwise, but you draft in positions where there's depth.