Bratowski's short-yardage play calling/use Luchey

ahanes

Let me start off by saying Bratowski has doen a great job this year overall. But did anyone else about break their television set when Brat handed the ball off in the backfield on 4th and 1 in the second quarter and the Bengals got stuffed??? Bratowski called the same call on 4th down against Jacksonville last week and also failed. You got a 6'5" quarterback in Palmer...gravity alone will get the first down!! But I did see progress as he called a few passing plays on short yardage situations later in the game today (Palmer missed Jeremi Johnson on one such play).

Yes, that play call upset me.

Brat also called a similar play on 3rd and 1 at the goal line in the 3rd quarter and got stuffed.

Hopefully the next time that situation arises Brat will try an off tackle or QB sneak or playaction or quick hitter to the FB or ...........

He is on the roster so they have to like something about him. I would say use Jeremi, but he is the better lead blocker. Let Jeremi plow the way and hand it off to Luchey. With that much weight, I'd say it would have to get a yard every time. We have to do something because if we have to pass on short yardage plays, we will end up failing a lot of those conversions, and we will probably throw some picks because of it.

I saw Dallas on a short situation like that and they faked the hand off and the TE Witten was all alone. How many more of these stuffs are the Bengals going to do until they finally find some creativity?

Creativity is exactly what it will take against the Steelers D next weekend. Tackle to tackle, they should ignore if at least early in the game. Come out showing the Steelers that you are willing to take chances and hit them differently than they want you to (see last 2 Patriot games against the Steelers as evidence of this). Short passes, screens, then take your chances over the top. Again, I really hope/expect they will look to the Patriot games as evidence as to what will force these guys out of the middle. Then once you have them guessing a bit, you can try to mix it up by going tackle-to-tackle a few times. In the end ... do opposite of what they expect. They expect you to run to setup the pass. They expect you to try to run up the middle. Do the opposite. Pass to setup the run. Run outside the tackles. Then the middle will be open later. I've watched every Steeler game for about 5 years now (ugh ... living here stinks sometimes!), and I've seen this work so wonderfully ... but few teams are willing to do it, and few have the personnel to pull it off. The Patriots do ... and I believe the Bengals do as well.

Go Bengals!

Although the DL is their most glaring weakness, their inablility to convert short yardage situations has to be second. The sneak was wide open on that play. Was S. Andrews active for this game? It seems to me that they should be able to use him to get a push on short yardage plays.

I actually think Brat has some of his best play calling days against the Steelers. Both games last year came down to a Palmer pick 6. Remember the Kitna game when he threw for a ton of yards, or the 04 win a Pittsburgh.

We have always been way too conservative on 3rd and shorts, hell Vinny Testaverde ran a QB sneak on the goalline.

I don't clearly remember last year's games against Pittsburgh, but it seems to me that our offense really didn't have much trouble against their vaunted defense. The problem was that we made serious mistakes that cost us the games. This year, we aren't doing that (except for penalties). I think we can win this game if we play exactly like we did yesterday, especially with the home field advantage.

I was just pacing after the third down play going "They better just sneak it, please tell me they will just sneak it" and sure enough the handed it off. You can only imagine the amount of four lettered words I used there. I can't remember if it was a fourth and 1 or just a third in 1, but i do remember Palmer passed it on this particular play and they got it

Keep in mind that the two teams that stuffed the short yardage plays were the Titans and Jaguars from the old AFC Central division. They are still too familiar with many of our tendencies since we played them twice a year. Didn't the Titans stuff CD at the goalline a couple of years in a row on the type of play?

Maybe the Bengals are saving their best stuff for when they absolutely have to have it, like next week or against Indy.

They do need to quit pulling the guard out becasue that just takes too long. Maybe go on "set" and have Palmer sneak it or something.

Didn't the Titans stuff CD at the goalline a couple of years in a row on the type of play?

I wouldn't say they "stuffed" us. That was the infamous play where Dillon tripped over one of our own linemen :rolleyes:

Pretty soon you'll be changing your screen name to "DontTripMe"....

:lol:

Creativity is needed.

How about lining Steinbach up as FB with JJ as HB? Run this between BW and WA. How can you not get a yard?

I put part of the blame on Brat and some on Rudi. He hesitates.....

HIT THE HOLE RUDI! IT IS 4th FREAKING DOWN!

Better yet, throw the ball...quick hitch to CJ or Henry. Line Perry up wide and let him juke someone.

Just no more RUDI-up-the-middle-predictable-crap.

Creativity is needed.

How about lining Steinbach up as FB with JJ as HB? Run this between BW and WA. How can you not get a yard?

I don't think bulking up the size and power would help. I think this formation would be way too slow to allow the initial push by the line to do any good.

I put part of the blame on Brat and some on Rudi. He hesitates.....

I think this is the primary issue. Rudi is always a patient back, and normally that works to his advantage. However, in these short yardage downs, he has to find a hole or a place to jump quickly and be decisive about getting to it.