Food for Thought

HoosierCat

Well, I say don't touch a RFA CB...Gonna cost too high of a draft pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see a RFA LB taken by the Bengals say someone like Edgerton Hartwell that Coach Lewis knows....Coach Lewis has a history of going after players he knows and likes....

imo, there are plenty of good ufa cb out there why go after the rfa and give up draft picks

There are a couple reasons. For one, there's far less competition for the player's services. Teams aren't going to get into bidding wars over RFAs, especially with another team holding the right to match. And second, signing someone else's good RFAs is as smart as signing your own; lock up the good stuff now before they get to true free agency. Not all of the players will bite, but offer decent deals and some will (see Simmons, Brian).

As for giving up draft picks, I'm not adverse to doing that for a proven player. Would Adwale Ogunleye be worth the 17th pick? If not, why not? Would you rather have an untested player like Will Smith? And not all these guys will get a first-round tender. What if Zeke Moreno only costs a fifth? Shoot, I'd hand that over for a decent punter.

A final thought: We may still manage to swing some kind of deal for Dillon and pick up a middle-round selection. And TJ is sitting on Kirwan's list of offensive RFAs to look at. Leting him go would be fine by me. So even in giving up some picks to sign RFAs, we might not lose that much.

kev:

Well, I say don't touch a RFA CB...Gonna cost too high of a draft pick.

We don't know what they'll cost yet...if anything.