Blake gets cut

jjakq27

He's a decent backup. An Anthony Wright of sorts, I see him being picked up by someone provided he doesn't retire.

BTW - here's a problem with football and non-guarantee contracts that will cause a major problem in 2007 on the collective bargaining agreement. Pros should have some kind of severance or guarantee clause when released.

BTW - here's a problem with football and non-guarantee contracts that will cause a major problem in 2007 on the collective bargaining agreement. Pros should have some kind of severance or guarantee clause when released.

I completely disagree.

This is why signing bonuses are outrageous. You'd have to reign in the bonuses before you could offer severence. I've always blamed baseballs' economic problems partialy on guaranteed contracts.

The whole notion of a guaranteed contract is contrarian to anyone who believes in free markets and fair value. Idealy everyone would be human and negotiate through unexpected events. :rolleyes:

(BTW - here's a problem with football and non-guarantee contracts that will cause a major problem in 2007 on the collective bargaining agreement. Pros should have some kind of severance or guarantee clause when released)

Pro athletes needing a severance or guarentee!! I see, so a guy who makes 2 or 3 mil a year gets hurt and he needs severance? If the guy gets hurt playing for he team, yes he should still be elegible for a portion of his contract. The owner, as a class move, will generally work out an injury settlement that will let the injured player recover and retire quite comfortably to the golf course.

In the case of Aaron Boone, he gets a $5 million contract, plays basketball and could possibly miss the season. Should he be guarenteed his contract, or get severance if he leaves? He's not a superstar but he hasn't done bad for himself and will have no problem getting a job when he comes back from the injury. The fact that he had it written into his contract that he could void the whole contract by playing basketball and getting injured will allow the Evil Empire to sign a player to replace him.

Besides, who wants to have a chunk of a teams salary going to a guy who can't help the team out except from in front of the TV. I defend the players big salaries all the time to people who whine about over-priced athletes, but I'll be last person to feel bad for a guy who has a couple mil in the bank and is crying over money he won't get if he gets hurt. Wish I could expect the same from the company I work for.

Pro athletes needing a severance or guarentee!! I see, so a guy who makes 2 or 3 mil a year gets hurt and he needs severance? If the guy gets hurt playing for he team, yes he should still be elegible for a portion of his contract. The owner, as a class move, will generally work out an injury settlement that will let the injured player recover and retire quite comfortably to the golf course.

When you pit billionaires against the financially inept millionaires, there's a collision brewing; and repeated statements of this sort of thing has come up indirectly to other issues. We don't understand it, nor do we like it being blue collar and working 10 times harder for our dough, then again, it's not for us to determine either.

In the case of Aaron Boone, he gets a $5 million contract, plays basketball and could possibly miss the season. Should he be guarenteed his contract, or get severance if he leaves? He's not a superstar but he hasn't done bad for himself and will have no problem getting a job when he comes back from the injury. The fact that he had it written into his contract that he could void the whole contract by playing basketball and getting injured will allow the Evil Empire to sign a player to replace him.

Good point, definitely, but we don't have agents that work these deals in contracts. These are the new age contracts and while they are hard to understand for us all, it is increasingly in all sports except football; you know, like the age restrictions in drafting. Oops, there is no restriction anymore.

Whether we like it or not, these type of problems in the sports world will increase; radically in football. We're enjoying a good run, but football hasn't had any collisions between Union and owners since 1987 (I think that was it). I'm not justifying players getting their money for no reason, I'm merely making a statement that could cause a destructive force when the Union starts demanding and crying more about the unfairness of their deal. Like the argument, well uh, baseball has it. Things are going to change, and for us, it's going to be for the worse.

Man, I'm ultra pessimistic tonight.

BTW Wook, welcome to the board man.