Clarett wins vs the NFL...

JonFnKitna

Won't the NFL appeal this? If they do, and it drags out past the draft, it might not help Clarett anyway...

Too bad about the ruling. If it stands, just how much will it hurt college football? Will it become like college basketball - damaged but not destroyed - or like college baseball - totally irrelevant? Or will basketball eventually become like baseball too?

Won't the NFL appeal this? If they do, and it drags out past the draft, it might not help Clarett anyway...

They probably will, but it go to no use. The NFL is in direct violation for anti-trust laws. I'm actually surprised it took this long to appeal the rules.

I don't think it will hurt college football much, because owners in the NFL are awfully hesitant to handing out contracts in the first place and between all of the other college divisions, football players need that development stage to strengthen their mental and physical attributes.

Plus, I don't think the owners will hand out contracts or even draft a guys that's only proven his abililty through high school, so I think that point is mute. First year or second year players in college? Who knows.

Will it become like college basketball - damaged but not destroyed - or like college baseball - totally irrelevant? Or will basketball eventually become like baseball too?

Isn't that the weirdest thing about college sports!?! Baseball is the "red-headed stepchild"

of collegient sports! Even college hockey is more relevant. How the hell did this happen? Does baseballs minor leagues drive this phenomenom?

Clarett can f**k himself. He's a punk. I wish OSU would just cut ties with him cause he's never been anything more than dead weight. Could OSU have won the Fiesta Bowl without him? Maybe not. But in the end is it worth it? It's like selling your soul to the devil. If this is the price, I'd rather not be National Champs - and I am a life long Buckeye. My world stops when OSU plays.

The guy has been nothing but trouble, and he's not a team player. But you know some team will pick him up. Just like they did Lawrence Phillips. They'll get what they deserve. In the end, he'll be another CD.

Frankly, I'm sick of all these kids coming out. I don't begrudge the money they get. I love money. I'm not jealous. I'm a 38 year-old, overweight, white guy with no skills. What the hell would I be jealous about? It's not like they're getting an opportunity I equally deserve. LeBron James was refering to himself as "LeBron" before Cleveland ever drafted him. "LeBron love ballin'", "LeBron don't care where he go", "LeBron gotsa new ride". Lebron can kiss my ass. And so can Maurice.

I agree. Let's hope the Bengals can resist the temptation - though I don't view it as very tempting. And even more important, let's hope Coach Tressel doesn't bring him back.

If this is the price, I'd rather not be National Champs - and I am a life long Buckeye. My world stops when OSU plays.

Wooah Boobie! Don't be hasty :D

Isn't that the weirdest thing about college sports!?! Baseball is the "red-headed stepchild"

of collegient sports! Even college hockey is more relevant. How the hell did this happen? Does baseballs minor leagues drive this phenomenom?

Billy, you're exactly right. Usually players drafted into MLB, have to go through the ranks of the minors unless they are the A-Rods of those season whom joined the league at 19, or Andrew Jones at 18. -- I think those ages are correct.

Because of the minors, baseball can't be used in this argument.

Clarett can f**k himself. He's a punk. I wish OSU would just cut ties with him cause he's never been anything more than dead weight. Could OSU have won the Fiesta Bowl without him? Maybe not. But in the end is it worth it? It's like selling your soul to the devil. If this is the price, I'd rather not be National Champs - and I am a life long Buckeye. My world stops when OSU plays.

The guy has been nothing but trouble, and he's not a team player. But you know some team will pick him up. Just like they did Lawrence Phillips. They'll get what they deserve. In the end, he'll be another CD.

Frankly, I'm sick of all these kids coming out. I don't begrudge the money they get. I love money. I'm not jealous. I'm a 38 year-old, overweight, white guy with no skills. What the hell would I be jealous about? It's not like they're getting an opportunity I equally deserve. LeBron James was refering to himself as "LeBron" before Cleveland ever drafted him. "LeBron love ballin'", "LeBron don't care where he go", "LeBron gotsa new ride". Lebron can kiss my ass. And so can Maurice.

I agree. Let's hope the Bengals can resist the temptation - though I don't view it as very tempting. And even more important, let's hope Coach Tressel doesn't bring him back.

I think we found Boobie's exposed nerve!! :blink:

Hey Billy, what happened to you last weekend?  Did you end up in Vegas?  I went to Ty's in Flag.  Left Surprise @ 3:00, got there @ 5:00, watched the game, left @ 9:00, home by 11:00.

Nah, couldn't do it, and get back here to work on time Monday. Just fired up the BBQ, and cooked out! It was cold, but the steaks we good! Ribs too! We ran through a case of beer, and two bottles of Jack Daniels.

Monday was rough, but I made it on time. :(

Oh, Boobie...you need to check in at "General Discussions" here and visit the "Forum Members Diversity. Same goes for anyone else here!

If this is the price, I'd rather not be National Champs - and I am a life long Buckeye. My world stops when OSU plays.

Wooah Boobie! Don't be hasty :D

Billy, you're exactly right. Usually players drafted into MLB, have to go through the ranks of the minors unless they are the A-Rods of those season whom joined the league at 19, or Andrew Jones at 18. -- I think those ages are correct.

Because of the minors, baseball can't be used in this argument.

I'm sure most of you already know it, but our own Joe Nuxhall was 15 1/2 years of age when he pitched in his first major league game for the Reds. They lit him up pretty good, and he went to the minor leagues that week, but he's still listed as the youngest player to ever play in a major league game. I can't imagine what kind of uproar that would cause today if the Reds signed a 15 year old to a contract, much less actually let him pitch in a game.

Thing is, just cause Clarrett can declare for the draft, doesn't mean anyone will draft him. Certainly not high enough to make it worth his while to leave school. I don't think that it'll end up being that big of a deal either. I don't believe that players are eligible to play if they hire an agent, and I can't see them decalring before they have one either so its going to be a bit dicey for them to start the whole thing in motion anyway.

The best thing would be for the owners to ignore these kids, but then you'd have somebody yelling collusion and filing another suit.

This actually proves my point from last offseason. I said that it would be in the best interest of the NFL to just say that Clarett was a special incident and let him in, without taking it to the courts. Because this is one that they cant win, and it will open up the flood gates for high school kids and freshman in college declareing.

I'm sure most of you already know it, but our own Joe Nuxhall was 15 1/2 years of age when he pitched in his first major league game for the Reds. They lit him up pretty good, and he went to the minor leagues that week, but he's still listed as the youngest player to ever play in a major league game. I can't imagine what kind of uproar that would cause today if the Reds signed a 15 year old to a contract, much less actually let him pitch in a game.

Point taken, but that was during WWII when a majority of the players were either on the European or Pacific theatres or on active duty here in the states. I don't think he would have ever been called up if the war never happened.

Also from my understanding the rules haven't changed, the ruling was Clarett specific. But I'm sure the feds, WHO SHOULD STAY OUT OF SPORTS DAMN YOU, will force them to change it.

Point taken, but that was during WWII when a majority of the players were either on the European or Pacific theatres or on active duty here in the states. I don't think he would have ever been called up if the war never happened.

Also from my understanding the rules haven't changed, the ruling was Clarett specific. But I'm sure the feds, WHO SHOULD STAY OUT OF SPORTS DAMN YOU, will force them to change it.

You're right ............... Things were just plain different in that era as well. By the time you were 15 in those days you were for all practical purposes a man. Lots of 15 year olds were doing jobs to support their families that they wouldn't be permitted to do today by law.

Good old days ! .................... they just weren't really all that good after all were they ????????

I also hear what you're saying about the rules, but they are part of the collective bargaining agreement. Technically, it would also be illegal to withhold someones pay ..... as in fines. I wnoder if that'll be the next thing that gets challenged in court.

I also still think the best thing to do with Clarrett is to ignore him on draft day. I doubt that will happen, but it would send a very clear message to all other young guys watching this soap opera unfold.

I also hear what you're saying about the rules, but they are part of the collective bargaining agreement. Technically, it would also be illegal to withhold someones pay ..... as in fines. I wnoder if that'll be the next thing that gets challenged in court.

Man that would seriously suck! If football gets caught up in legal problems, such as players challenging the rules; which probably opened the flood gate, then football will have problems.

I also still think the best thing to do with Clarrett is to ignore him on draft day. I doubt that will happen, but it would send a very clear message to all other young guys watching this soap opera unfold.

I see this happening, not because of a revenge or vendetta, but because he's not that good. He has been out of football for a year, plus he was hurt a quarter of the games in college. Do you think the NFL wants to risk it with a guy that's basically unproven again and injury prone? Then again, you could make the case with the Bills picking up McGahee from the 'Canes looking towards the future.

I'm making a bold prediction. If and I mean IF, legal problems start to pick up, then I see Union challenging the owners, and a possible strike will occur. I think the biggest problem could result in guaranteed contracts. Whatever the problem may be, this is the beginning of football falling into the same crap as the other sports. It's an early prediction and unsupported, but I can see it happening.

I agree with billybroome. Someone will take Clarrett. He may not be very good, and he may not last very long, but someone will pick him up if he's there.

I'm also afraid that you're on to something as to the state of football and its long term health. That's one of the reasons that I don't complain about players being fined and or ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct etc. Notice how many players were " accidently " running in to officials this year ????

Football is a rough tough game, and it needs a good stong hand on it so that it doesn't get out of control.

B) By the way ............... watch your language ................ Jeez! you got a mouth like a Marine !

tsk tsk tsk tsk.

The NFL will appeal this decision, however the appeal will very likely not make any impact. The mere fact that it turned out to be an anti-trust issue kills any chance of this being over-turned.

Clarrett will probably enter the draft since the Buckeye's are not willing to forgive and forget. Will he be ignored, no...unfortunately the NBA has proven that any owner who is looking for a talented player to fill a need position will over-look the fact that he is young. I don't see the NFL being any different. The NBA is different than the NFL in terms of physical tools needed to play the game, but that's where the combines come in. Bring an 18 year old kid in who can bench 225 at 20+ reps, has speed, and leaping ability and you can bet he'll be snatched up as a late round pick. Think about getting to develop a player for 2 years and then still being able to start a 20 year old!!

Besides...high school kids aren't built like the kids from my graduating class. National letter of intent day saw LSU pick up Herman Johnson from Denton, Texas. The kid is a 395 lb lineman!!! They also got a 310 lb lineman from Lousiana named Marlon Favorite.

Huge high schoolers is not something new. In my graduating class in 1976, we had a guy ("Tiny" Knight) who tipped the scales at well over 300lbs!! He was always triple teamed. Didn't matter. He walked through offensive lines like a shallow pond! Crushed opposing QB's like grapes! The major reason my high school (Lloyd Memorial, Erlanger Kentucky) won state in '76!! I don't know if he pursued football after graduation. He should have though! :o