was 2001 the best draft for then bengals

http://nflhistory.net/shared/draft1.asp?Te...eam=6&Year=2001

check it we got justin smith, chad, rudi, t.j., and two solid back ups , the only one that not on roster is Brewer but hey, what do you guys think

Well the draft is always best evaluated a few years afterwards...and yeah, that's a top shelf draft...Even Brewer is a solid player he just got showed the door because of his past injury history...

This was probably the pinnacle of the Before Marvin Era...The year before and year after were total busts...By that I mean look how many are still playing for the team? especially the later rounds cause to me that's how you really rate a draft, what do rounds 4-7 bring to the table for you. Every last player from 2001 is on an NFL squad, and will be next year too if I had to guess. Also, 3 franchise type players out of the first 4 rounds is pretty damn impressive.

The only decent draft by the "Lebeau" coaching staff and mike brown. Have to see how Weathersby fairs out. If in 2 years he's a probowl type corner. Have to think that getting Steinbach, Palmer, and Weathersby , with the playmaking skills of Kelley Washington. This could prove to be Cinci's draft of the decade.

• 3 weeks later...

So was Artrell "burnt toast " Hawkins. We passed on Patrick Surtain,Brian Kelly,and Samari Rolle to Draft Hawkins...?????

Still want to stick up for Lebeau...?

Also ,Heading into the 98 draft. .our top 3 needs were, Left Tackle, De, and Lb. We passed on Vonnie Holiday twice.Not great , but Solid... Flozell Adams...twice...not great, but solid, and maybe Blake wouldn't have gotten killed from his blind side with big ol fat Rod Jones protecting him.

Spikes isn't here and Brian Simmons although he's one of my favorite bengal players(seen in my posts to the left) is no Takeo Spikes..

I certainly don't think that Brian Simmons has lived up to his recruitment hype coming out of Highschool when he signed his letter of intent to North Carolina. He was super hyped ,being the next Taylor etc....but i don't think he's even played in a system that lets his speed 4.48 (when drafted) work for him. Cincinnati stuck him in the middle all those years,when they should have put Takeo there. Last year he played really really well,but i have to think that he needs to be let loose to blitz more often.

Man...whatever it takes, and whoever it takes, to put some pressure on the QB!! My God!! The Bengals defense put practically zero pressure on the ball for the better part of the saeson, which in turn made the defensive backs look bad because NO ONE, AND I DO MEAN NO ONE, can cover NFL quality receivers all damn day without someone getting open.

I personally don't feel our DB's are that bad. With our defensive line/linebackers getting to the QB and hurrying his passes, our DB's improve immensely, and we didn't spend a dime on anyone! B)

Personally I feel that Simmons isn't being the leader on the field, both emotionally nor playwise, to lead a defense. He isn't showing by example, more than half his tackles were five yards or more beyond the line of scrimmage. Stop the run and then concentrate on the pass rush should be the blueprint for an OK defense that we desperately need; afterall, why do must of us think a DT will be the first pick?

In his defense, he did play OLB for the first time in his NFL career, which is his natural position; but if that's his natural position AND he didn't perform how a standout defensive linebacker should perform that he's been portrayed since day one, then perhaps we should look at his salary heavy contract. eh?

How many times did we hear Marvin give the law to Simmons trying to light a fire under his ass?

In Simmon's defense(no pun intended). He won the Seahawks game with 2 tip passes that were picked. There are many defensive players that I will rip before I get to Simmons. He is the least of our problems.

I could go on and on about Hawkins. When he was drafted I felt like throwing a brick at my TV. What in the hell were they thinking? Every draft guide I looked at had him 6th round or later. Hell,they could have signed him as an undrafted free agent if they had a clue.

I feel much better with Marvin calling the shots and I expect a great draft followed by a deep playoff run!

I think the reason why most of us are leaning towards drafting a defensive tackle first is because we have no one up front that can consistently shed blockers or force double teams.

Which leaves offenses to stay in base one on one blocking and chipping our only real pass rusher in Justin Smith. Cincinnati is also still under the belief that our ends will fare better in one on one matchups , and i have to believer they're wrong.

Duane Clemons plays well, but isn't strong enough at the point of attack. Justin Smith stays too pre-occupied with tackles,and doesn't have an array of pass rush moves like the elite guys.Too many times last year I watched him trying to bull rush guys that outweigh him by 50 or more pounds.

Tony Williams I have to believe along with Oliver Gibson and possibly Glen Steele are being paid too much to occupy a roster spot. I can honestly see 2 of the 3 being gone by training camp.

John Thornton is good, and would seriously reap the benefits of playing next to the kind of player (kirk) is begging we get.

For the last 3 seasons, all we've heard in each Free Agency period was,, Sam Adams,Ted Washington,and now it's possibly Keith Traylor.

We need to get bigger up front. Let the LineBackers do their job behind the line of scrimmage by forcing the O-line to stay in " maxprotects " every play .

In Simmon's defense(no pun intended). He won the Seahawks game with 2 tip passes that were picked. There are many defensive players that I will rip before I get to Simmons. He is the least of our problems.

I could go on and on about Hawkins. When he was drafted I felt like throwing a brick at my TV. What in the hell were they thinking? Every draft guide I looked at had him 6th round or later. Hell,they could have signed him as an undrafted free agent if they had a clue.

I feel much better with Marvin calling the shots and I expect a great draft followed by a deep playoff run!

In one instance during a six year career justify a linebacker that I think is overrated for the money he's making? First of all, he only has two seasons with 100 or more tackles, 18 career sacks and 5 career interceptions. He's NOT a leader on the field and he's NOT a leader off the field... and he's making WAY TOO much money for the little production and influence in and out of the locker-room that he performs.

Unless he performs well above the norms in 2004, I'd suggest we release him or restructure the contract; he makes too much money for the little production he promotes.

Well the draft is always best evaluated a few years afterwards

I think Marvins choices in this field will verify his greatness as a coach in the years to come. It's always hard to tell in the short term. The long term remains to be seen, but I feel confident with him...obviously I suppose. :rolleyes:

Well what do you guys think about the kid Khalid Abdullah..?

He's got speed we know, could we stick Simmons back in the middle , hardy to the strong side, and Abdullah to the weak side, and blitz the hell out of him..?

I know we're going to draft a linebacker or 2 ...but I have to think that Marvin drafted this guy to be able to start in a year or 2..

Well what do you guys think about the kid  Khalid Abdullah..?

He's got speed we know, could we stick Simmons back in the middle , hardy to the strong side, and Abdullah to the weak side, and blitz the hell out of him..?

I know we're going to draft a linebacker or 2 ...but I have to think that Marvin drafted this guy to be able to start in a year or 2..

I agree Chris. I've always been high on Abdullah and think he could contribute to the defense. Now that he has a year under his belt, I'm wondering if Marvin will give him a chance to make 1st team or just work the FA and draft. Definately something to keep an eye on.

Is this the first time we agreed on something? :lol::lol: