Does anyone else miss Marge?

richmond_mat

I aggree, she wanted to win, the owner now just wants to make money!

Yeah...right. If he keeps doin' what he's doin', his quest for $$$ is going to wreck the team, if it hasn't already! I never thought I'd miss Marge, but I'll be damned if I don't! :rolleyes:

I've kinda been waitng for this post. I knew someone would make it sooner or later. Marge had her good points and bad points. She had no problem paying players ( that was her good point ) , until the league pissed her off and she decided to dismantle the Reds. Remember when she wanted to buy the stadium ??? She openly talked about moving the Reds across the river to Covington. That would have allowed her to develop the land that the stadium was sitting on which was worth about 3 times that of the stadium.

Remember when opening day was ALWAYS in Cincinnati with the visiting Chicago Cubs ???? It was in honor of the Reds being the first pro team, and Chicago as the team that had represnted its city for the longest period of time. That all stopped when the comminssioner wanted her to open with the Cubs a day early ( why I don't remember ) Marge pitched a bitch ..... refused to hang out the bunting and said it wasn't really " opening day ". You'll notice there hasn't been an opening day in Cincy since. She pitched another bitch when the umpire died on the field and the league suspended the game. How about when she stopped running the scores of other games on the board when she found out it was costing her money? Said if people wanted to know what the other scores were, they could bring radios. Got rid of the scouts cause " all they did was sit around and watch ball games " . Remember when the Reds swept the series from the A's ??? and what an upset that was. It upset Marge too when she found out the players and not her got the most money out of it and her response was " I'd have rather lost in 7 games". She also wouldn't pay for Eric Davis' plane ticket home when he was hospitalized due to being injured in the game. How about when Pinella donated bats , balls and gloves to a charity auction, and Marge found out and deducted the cost from his pay ???? GOD ! Don't even talk about race relations on her watch.

So here's the list. She demolished the farm system ..... lost the honor of being the first game of the season ...... alienated the entire world series winning team ........ alienated a couple of the better managers in baseball ........ alienated all black people everywhere ........ totally humiliated the city , the team , and baseball on an almost daily basis ...... was willing to move the team out of the city .... and lastly tried very hard to destroy the team out of spite when the other owners were in the process of getting rid of her. Remember, that is when John Allen et. al. got the run of the team on an interim basis.

That old broad was / is 50# overweight, drank like a fish, and smoked like a chimney. You just knew she was living on borrowed time and dammit she still wouldn't die. It was my fantasy that opening day returned to Cincinnati. Marge is sitting in her box and Schottzy II takes a dump on her shoe. She chokes on the mouthfull of beer she's drinking and simultaneously sucks her cigarette down her throat. She stands up gasping and clutching at her chest and throat and pitches forward out of her box and onto the field at the base of the wall. The homeplate umpire noticing the commotion goes to Marge .... studies her for a moment and searches for a pulse. He stands, and in a loud voice bellows " YERRR OUT " moves his hand in a circular motion over the top of his head and follows with " PLAY BALL " . ............... the crowd goes wild and the game has to be delayed for 15 minutes due to the standing ovation from the sell out crowd.

Miss Marge ??????????????? Yeah right.

That old broad was / is 50# overweight, drank like a fish, and smoked like a chimney. You just knew she was living on borrowed time and dammit she still wouldn't die. It was my fantasy that opening day returned to Cincinnati. Marge is sitting in her box and Schottzy II takes a dump on her shoe. She chokes on the mouthfull of beer she's drinking and simultaneously sucks her cigarette down her throat. She stands up gasping and clutching at her chest and throat and pitches forward out of her box and onto the field at the base of the wall. The homeplate umpire noticing the commotion goes to Marge .... studies her for a moment and searches for a pulse. He stands, and in a loud voice bellows " YERRR OUT " moves his hand in a circular motion over the top of his head and follows with " PLAY BALL " . ............... the crowd goes wild and the game has to be delayed for 15 minutes due to the standing ovation from the sell out crowd.

Miss Marge ??????????????? Yeah right.

:lol::lol::lol:

I haven't laughed so hard in along time; certainly no post has had me bent sideways like this did.

I had forgotten the farm system debacle.

The stadium thing was good business, buy something and triple its value. :blink:

It would have been no different than the Giants or Jets playing in the meadowlands.

If baseball had left her alone things might have been different. I've always felt that she got a deal none of the good old boys would have gotten. :ph34r:

She was loud, brash and politically incorrect; just like nearly everyone from her time that never changed with the times. I'm surprised she's still kicking. :huh:

That old broad was / is 50# overweight, drank like a fish, and smoked like a chimney. You just knew she was living on borrowed time and dammit she still wouldn't die. It was my fantasy that opening day returned to Cincinnati. Marge is sitting in her box and Schottzy II takes a dump on her shoe. She chokes on the mouthfull of beer she's drinking and simultaneously sucks her cigarette down her throat. She stands up gasping and clutching at her chest and throat and pitches forward out of her box and onto the field at the base of the wall. The homeplate umpire noticing the commotion goes to Marge .... studies her for a moment and searches for a pulse. He stands, and in a loud voice bellows " YERRR OUT " moves his hand in a circular motion over the top of his head and follows with " PLAY BALL " .  ............... the crowd goes wild and the game has to be delayed for 15 minutes due to the standing ovation from the sell out crowd.

Miss Marge  ???????????????  Yeah right.

I haven't laughed so hard in along time; certainly no post has had me bent sideways like this did.

I had forgotten the farm system debacle.

The stadium thing was good business, buy something and triple its value. :blink:

It would have been no different than the Giants or Jets playing in the meadowlands.

If baseball had left her alone things might have been different. I've always felt that she got a deal none of the good old boys would have gotten. :ph34r:

She was loud, brash and politically incorrect; just like nearly everyone from her time that never changed with the times. I'm surprised she's still kicking. :huh:

B) glad you got a chuckle out of it.

The stadium deal would have been a good piece of business work. Marge always was shrewd. The worst part of it for me would have been moving the Reds. There's been baseball in downtown Cincinnati for more than a century, and I think it would have been a crime to move them.

Don't get me wrong either ..... I'm definitely not a fan of Carl Lindner. I don't know about you, but I just knew it wasn't a good sign when Griffey broke his bat on a foul ball and the barell end of it hit Lindners granddaughter in the nose. Think of it 60 thousand people in the park, and he picks the owners grandkid to hit ( dam thing went for her like a guided missle ). I watched that and thought ...... Man this has bad omen written all over it.

My one hope now is that Lindner will sell the team too. He didn't want it in the first place really. I really don't care who owns the team as long as they #1 Keep it where it is and #2 commit to putting a winner back on the field and bring some respect back to the organization.

Geez redsfan. Thanks for reminding me that things weren't all wonderful with her either...EXCEPT the World Series win in '90! The "Wire to Wire" season under Pinella was something else. It just ain't been the same since.

Remember when opening day was ALWAYS in Cincinnati with the visiting Chicago Cubs ???? It was in honor of the Reds being the first pro team, and Chicago as the team that had represnted its city for the longest period of time. That all stopped when the comminssioner wanted her to open with the Cubs a day early ( why I don't remember ) Marge pitched a bitch ..... refused to hang out the bunting and said it wasn't really " opening day ". You'll notice there hasn't been an opening day in Cincy since.

I don't suppose there's any way to get that honor back, is there?

Remember when opening day was ALWAYS in Cincinnati with the visiting Chicago Cubs ???? It was in honor of the Reds being the first pro team, and Chicago as the team that had represnted its city for the longest period of time. That all stopped when the comminssioner wanted her to open with the Cubs a day early ( why I don't remember ) Marge pitched a bitch ..... refused to hang out the bunting and said it wasn't really " opening day ". You'll notice there hasn't been an opening day in Cincy since.

I don't suppose there's any way to get that honor back, is there?

For whatever reason, baseball still seems to be bent on its worldwide publicity campaign. That's the big reason that they take 2 of the premiere teams and showcase them in Japan. They've also talked about having the opening day in Mexico City. They've been touting the Mexican market for several years now.

Baseball is making a mistake going for the international market, and that has been proven in Canada. The thought is that franchises in major Canadian and Mexican cities would draw crowds and generate revenue. Problem is that one of the biggest complaints right now is a lack of quality pitching due to the expansion to so many teams. Putting teams in major foreign cities would only dillute the talent pool further, and people aren't going to pay to see a substandard team.

Baseball has a lot of problems, and they won't be settled till they get a strong independant commissioner again.

So I guess the answer is no. It goes back to what Kirk said about baseball worrying more about the bottom line than the tradition of the game. Money trumps sentimentality. Maybe if there was a general showing of support for it from fans, but beyond that I don't see it happening.

RedsFan2 - I think the biggest problem with baseball is turning its back to tradition and ethics. Now they permit constant drug abusers, domestic violence suspects and gambling junkies back into the game. They need to return to ethics and honor with tradition to return to form. If Selig were to get the respect of most baseball personalities, we'd see an increase of great baseball; the driving force of the 50s-70s.

I guess, since we live in a corporate environment when money is the direct contributor and benefactor to all things life related, it's going to be this way in all things regarding life.

Sad, really sad I must say.

RedsFan2 - I think the biggest problem with baseball is turning its back to tradition and ethics.  Now they permit constant drug abusers, domestic violence suspects and gambling junkies back into the game.  They need to return to ethics and honor with tradition to return to form.  If Selig were to get the respect of most baseball personalities, we'd see an increase of great baseball; the driving force of the 50s-70s. 

I guess, since we live in a corporate environment when money is the direct contributor and benefactor to all things life related, it's going to be this way in all things regarding life. 

Sad, really sad I must say.

I agree totally with your list. I've said on other posts what I think of thugs being allowed to play any professional sport. Teams have to stop hiring what are basically criminals because they can run the 40 a half a second faster than some other kid who has a clean record and a good character. Of course the criminal element can run faster ......... they've been training by running from the police since they were 10 years old.

I would add an item to your list though. Baseball has to stop ignoring steroids. I think its not only more prevelant than they are letting on, I think its rampant. The thing that convinced me it was so widespread, was the reaction by the union to mandatory testing. I don't believe its a privacy issue at all. I think they're using them and they know it'll show up on the tests.

The bad part of all of this is that I think we're in a golden age of baseball right now and nobody realizes it. McGwire set a new record with over 70 home runs, and it lasted what ..... 2 - 3 years ????You've got a shortstop that hits 50 homeruns ?????????? Larkin is still playing, and he was the first to ever hit 30 homeruns and steal 30 bases That'd be like Tiger Woods hittng 6 aces on his first 18. Just unheard of .... until now. Pitchers routinely thorwing in the 90's off a mound that's 6" lower than it's supposed to be. They have to fix that by the way. They also have to set a uniform standard for how hard the baseball is and not exceed that even thought they could.

I'm not saying we should go back to not using batting helmets and gloves, but they need to stop making changes that artificially inflate the scores of games and trying to shorten the game as well. They have rules about unnecessary delays and they should be enforced. If a batter wants to step out of the box after every ptich, that doesn't mean the umpire has to stop the pithcer from throwing the ball and calling a strike. Do that one thing, and the games will stop taking over 3 hours.

I could go on .......... but I won't.

• 3 weeks later...
Please.....as a black man.....I'm glad she's gone....she's a 'throwback' literally, and that's not in a good sense....a throwback to the good ol days of bigotry <_<

:lol: When you look in the dictionary under "Politically Correct", you see her picture titled "The Opposite Of This!!" :lol:

Please.....as a black man.....I'm glad she's gone....she's a 'throwback' literally, and that's not in a good sense....a throwback to the good ol days of bigotry  <_<

:lol: When you look in the dictionary under "Politically Correct", you see her picture titled "The Opposite Of This!!" :lol:

First off I do not condone abrasive insensetivity for spite. But something about the reds and cincy hasn't been the same since her forced removal.

One can argue that her lack of correctness forced the city to confront its issues. How else to get people to talk than to say the taboo unknowingly. My grandfather once said "honey I never thought I'd love anyone from your clan" to my wife!!! :blink:

He was about the age of Marge, lived through wwII, civil rights, vietnam, korea; events that galvanize you to the point of that is reality. Unfortunately or not, a good percentage of these folks were never able to change with the times. I understood and put no weight to it. Words have different meanings and interpretations to everyone.

Before baseball decided Marge was a liability she was a good owner, minus her occasional bout with politicalincorrectity. She spent money (got her million dollar monkey (eric davis)) and did her best to field a competetive team. The good old boys that need a lashing are the hypocrits who ran her out.

Everyone wants to rail marge and maybe rightly so, but IMHO it's political correctness that needs to be questioned and debated. There has to be a happy medium. :)

Great points Rich, and plus we should include this city has been in very intense racial turmoil for some time now.

Now that seems so odd for a city that during the Civil War was known as a haven for slaves fleeing the south! Wasn't there tunnels underneath the Ohio River from Covington Kentucky to get the slaves to freedom?? Living out here in Arizona I cannot comprehend what led to this urban warfare.

Quoting Rodney King...Can we all just get along!?! The current racial strife in Cincy rivals the bad press Marge brought when she was in power. Too bad. It's actually a wonderful town!! B)

You may be able to tell by some of my earlier post that I'm not a real big fan of Marge's. On the other hand, I don't think that she can be blamed even in part for the conditions of race realtions in Cincinnati. She didn't limit her derogatory remarks to blacks, ........... she got around to Jewish folks and included an off hand remark concerning New Yorkers in general race not withstanding long before Rocker ever thought of it.

Some of Marge's worst treatment was inflicted on the clubs managers and Bowden ..... all of whom were caucasoids of one nationality or another. That's to say nothing of the horrors and indignities inflicted on fans .... race, gender, and sexual persuasion not withstanding. Nope ! Marge, if nothing else was an equal opporunity hater.

Larkin had the best insight on the matter. He said as much as she loves animals and as bad as she treats people, we'd all be a lot happier and better off if she sold the team and bought the zoo.

Larkin had the best insight on the matter. He said as much as she loves animals and as bad as she treats people, we'd all be a lot happier and better off if she sold the team and bought the zoo.

I nominate this line as the "Quote of The Year" for 2004! B)