Being at Riverfront

Esiason#7

I just saw a special about the Reds talking to people about there favorite memories of being at Riverfront Stadium (I'll never call it Cinergy Field) and watching the Reds. Just for fun, I figured I'd ask fellow Bengal fans their favorite memories of being at Bengal games in Riverfront Stadium:

FAVORITE Games:

(1) Bengal 16, Ravens 14 (1997) I saw my favorite player play in his last game (Boomer) and saw his final TD pass ever (77 yarder to Darnay Scott)

(2) Bengals 61, Oilers 7 (1989) What more needs to be said? Offense went above and beyond, as did the defense holding the run and shoot to seven points.

(3) Bengals 27, Vikings 24 (1995) I got my x-mas present a day early when I saw the team come back from a 24-3 halftime deficet.

LEAST FAVORITE Games:

(1) 49ers 27, Bengals 26 (1987) The first game I ever attended. This was the famous game where the Bengals failed to run out the clock and Montana hit Rice with a 30 (or close to it) yard TD pass with no time left.

(2) Jaguars 41, Bengals 10 (1999) What a waste of money this game was. The score speaks for itself.

(3) Oilers 38, Bengals 3 (1993) Even more so a waste of money.

These are just a few. How about you guys?

FAVORITES... HMMM....

The Monday Nighter, Bengals 21, Browns 14

The 1990 playoff, Bengals 41, Oilers 14, brrrr, it was a cold one, took me 7 hours to drive down from chicago in freezing rain and snow. It was usually a 4 1/2 hour trip.

LEAST FAVORITE.

hard to believe but true..

Bengals 61, Oilers 7, What I didn't like was Sam Wyche calling time out to kick a field goal late to put the score over 60..

WAS A BENGALS SEASON TICKET HOLDER, 1989-1995.. now living in western kentucky, I might get season tickets once again. are you a season ticket holder by chance... Purchased a two-game ticket package and sat in the club level, really enjoyed it... esp. the Ravens game in Oct. WHO DEY.. the bengals are back..

And you're right, I'll never think of Riverfront Stadium as Cinergy Field either...

And you're right, I'll never think of Riverfront Stadium as Cinergy Field either...

Not to fall too far off topic. I have never seen the Bengals at home. I've seen them once on the road years back the first time they traveled out my way to Arizona to play the then Phoenix Cardinals. I saw the Reds at Riverfront many times there growing up with the Big Red Machine. Lots of great memories! (Yes, Pete included! :P )

What I wanted to comment on was the rotation of names ballparks go through during their exsistence. I think the name the park is christened with is the name it should be torn down with. Like our old "Crosley Field". I attended two games at that grand old park. (God, am I dating myself here or what?)

What number name is San Francisco's on now? Third or fourth? Even though she's gone, I think she'll always be "Riverfront" to us. Can you imagine them trying to change the name of Paul Brown Stadium!?! Some people just have absolutely no honor.

Just to answer KYBENGALFAN's question, no I never had season tickets. But I grew up in Louisville KY and lived there for 21 years before I went off into the Air Force. So I got to attend many games. The Air Force has moved me into Idaho, so I've only been to two Bengal games since i enlisted . I had to take leave to watch the Bengals-Bears preseason game in 2000 (the Bengals first game ever at Paul Brown Stad) and I got to attend the 2001 season opener at Paul Brown Stad (a 23-17 victory over eventual Superbowl champion New England). I'm hoping to take leave again next season so I can go watch the team play.

Just to hit on Billybroome's comments, I've been to three Red's games at Riverfront. I saw them beat the Phillies in 1988, I saw them lose to the Mets in 1991, and beat the Pirates in 2000 (I saw this game the same day I watched the Bengals-Bears preseason game. I spent a whole day at Riverfront and Paul Brown stad! ) I envy you for being able to watch the Big Red Machine in person, to me those guys defined what baseball is!

What I wanted to comment on was the rotation of names ballparks go through during their exsistence. I think the name the park is christened with is the name it should be torn down with. Like our old "Crosley Field". I attended two games at that grand old park. (God, am I dating myself here or what?)

What number name is San Francisco's on now? Third or fourth? Even though she's gone, I think she'll always be "Riverfront" to us. Can you imagine them trying to change the name of Paul Brown Stadium!?! Some people just have absolutely no honor.

I recall reading a very funny article a few years ago about picking stocks. They did a study and found that shorting the companies putting their names stadiums was almost a sure thing. :lol:

Favorite Games: Dillons rookie rushing record game against the Houston Oilers...1997. What an unbelievable night game. What I remember the most of that game was how empty the upper deck was at Riverfront that night.

Also, the last game ever there when we beat the Browns in a cold, rainy drizzle. Blake was awesome that game (subbing for the oft injured Akili).

Least favorite was anything during the Klinger-Shula years. I cant remember enjoying one game down there in those days, not one.