Palmer Articles

redsfan2

I haven't denied that Palmer is our future. I've mentioned it countless times. I think he is the best choice for a backup and I think that Palmer is the choice, but I'd rather people not dump on Kitna (not suggesting a single person, but just an overall rant). He's the reason why Chad Johnson had a monster year, an extension contract; helped Warrick and Johnson become the best WR duo in Bengals history.

Can you blame Kitna he had no TE to throw to on a consistent basis to check down to? No running game in over half the games? An offensive line old in the middle to slow to slow to check off to the blitzing LB? Can you blame Kitna for a RB that can't get more than 30 yards in the first half consistently? Can you blame Kitna that injuries hurt his WR corps this season (TJ and PW)? Can you blame Kitna has to score 30 points a game just to WIN?! Overall I think we are all putting too much emphasis on the QB winning games. If Palmer is put in the same situation then I imagine he'll have the same problems. Whether he exhibits the ability to get out of those problems is yet to be seen.

I'm still convinced our offensive problems are Bratkowski.

Whoa! That's the first (at least for me) we've heard you mention of this. Please tell us more why you think that. Either here, or a front page article would be nice...I'm listening. B)

Yea, I am preparing to put up an article later this month about the coaching staff in general, but have been foaming at the mouth talking about Bratkowski. He made a lot of mistakes and illogical choices.

Here is a snid bit from the Cleveland game

....After Cleveland II....

WHY BRATKOWSKI SHOULDN’T BE IN CINCINNATI NEXT SEASON

On drives that ended in touchdowns, the Bengals play calling overloaded on rushes. On the first drive, the Bengals ran eight plays -- 6 rushes to 2 passes. On the second drive, the Bengals ran ten plays -- 7 rushes to 3 passes. This game absolutely gave no credence to why Bratkowski should be calling the game anymore. This was a horrible showing on his part. With the game within one score all day, the Bengals, out of 63 plays, ran it 25 times. While down by 8 points at the end of the game, passing isn't the only option; you must run to create disorder and prevent the defense from keying off plays.

Don't think I agree with that. Brats biggest problem is he abandons the run too quickly when the team is down, that puts more pressure on Kit to make plays, Kitna is good, but I wouldn't call him a playmaker, but he tries....But I don't know if you can blame Brat for forgetting the run when his team is losing. I mean if he calls 20 run plays when the team is down and they still lose he'd get ripped for not throwing. I think the system Brat has put in place is pretty damn good. I mean look at the numbers Kitna, Johnson, and Warrick put up, nothing to shake a stick at. How many games did the offense loose this past season? Two? Maybe three, the rest of the games the defense lost it for them, hands down.

Alright, I'm going to throw around some stats.

In games the Bengals won, they ran an average of 35.8 times for 165.25 yards (4.6 yards per carry). This increases our time of possession and it's much nicer to have 3rd and 2-3 than 3rd and 6.

In games the Bengals lost, they ran an average 20.8 times for 83.13 yards (4 yards per carry) -- not bad.

NOW, lets remove the games that we lost by more than a touchdown (which was FIVE games)

In those games, they ran an average of 25.2 times for 83 yards.

Against Arizona, we were winning 14-10 at half time. We ran 4 times in the second half, 4 TIMES! Not good game management by Brat.

Against Pittsburgh I, we were losing 7-0 at half time. We ran 5 times in the second half. Not good game management by Brat.

These are just two examples of multiple instances all season (I don't want to go through all of my note from each game right now). Brat is not a good coordinator and panics WAY to much.

If you abandon the run quickly, you lose the game. I have said a thousand times (so I don't sound hypocritical) that Kitna can't be forced into positions to carry the offense -- I know some of you Kitna haters are getting ready to pounce -- but football logic proven by 100 years of playing is that you win by running the ball. Edgerrin James is averaging over 100 yards per playoff game; doing this allows the offense to pick apart the defense because the threat from BOTH aspects are there.

Now maybe I'm a little biased towards the run; I played on teams that emphasized the run -- a lineman's dream -- and I follow the Big Ten (which traditionally has always been known for the run).

Game lost

Pitt 1 - Lost by 7, ran 16 times.

Arizona - Lost by 3, ran 19 times.

Cleveland 2 - Lost by 8, ran 25 times.

Games won

KC - ran 33 times

Houston - ran 57 times.

SD - ran 45 times.

SF - ran 37 times.

Seattle - ran 33 times.

Game lost

Pitt 1 - Lost by 7, ran 16 times.

Arizona - Lost by 3, ran 19 times.

Cleveland 2 - Lost by 8, ran 25 times.

Well, the first Pitt game the Bengals had no luck running the ball, and the Steelers are good against the run, weak against the pass. Also the first part of the season the Bengals couldn't run against anybody.

Arizona...Should have ran more, but also the team couldn't stop the run either.

Cleveland. The Team couldn't stop the run...But still should have ran more.

I like running the ball as well, but in most of the games that the Bengals abandoned the run they were losing...If you look around the league you'd find that most teams go to the chuck and duck offense when behind. I think that if Palmer does start this year, Brat may not be so quick to throw the ball all the time. I think Brat has a little too much faith in Kitna in those situations.