I'm in absolute shock!

I dunno guys...something smells really freakin' bad here. Two weeks ago the Staples website that lets the FANS vote for coach of the year had Marvin Lewis as a lock for the award...then Bill fanagles it out from under him!?! Phuck him!! He had nothing but a good program under him from the get go!! All that meant is he just had to show up!! I coulda' coached that bunch to where they are. I'm not impressed.

I'm looking forward to Marvin kicking Bilichicks ass to the curb come next year!! What bulls**t!! Another symptom of the small market losing out. :angry:

Maybe Marvin should take the award the same year we take the Super Bowl!! B)

Well the award that Beelicheck won is the AP coach of the year, not the NFL Staples award. I still don't get it. How you can pick him when you compare what he did to what coach Lewis did....Coach Lewis turned around a franchise...It's really sad.....I mean the Bengals were awful, the press ripped Lewis for taking the job. Then he goes and keeps the team in contention until the very last week of the season....The AP, and the pansy writers that voted can kiss my ass.

You're right Kevnz...a bunch of p***y New York City livin' college boys who've never been anywhere except behind a typewriter! (My apologies to NON p***y college boys...but you phuckers are few, and far between unless you're a moderator here, or a commissioned military officer!!) :rolleyes:

I too believe Marvin Lewis should be NFL coach of the year, on ANY poll, whether its AP poll, Staples poll... But you know what doomed him from getting the award? The last two games of the season pretty much sealed Marvin's fate. If the Bengals had beat the Rams and Browns and made the playoffs, it would have been impossible to deny Marvin the coach of the year. But despite all Marvin did to transform the Bengals from 2-14 to 8-8, most polls are not going to give coach of the year to a man who didn't get his team to the playoffs. Its all politics. Personally, I think Marvin did way more with less talent than Belicheck or Parcells did with their teams. Lets put it this way, if Marvin was coaching the Patriots would they be just as successful as they are with Belicheck? If Belicheck was coaching the Bengals would they have at least finished 8-8? We'll never know the answer to this, but what we do know is a playoff coach will almost always get a coaching award over a non playoff coach. Once again, its politics. If the Bengals had made it to the postseason, Marvin would have got all the awards. But as all Bengal fans know (and even some non-Bengal fans), Marvin Lewis is the Coach of the Year!!!!!! I look forward to him taking us to the playoffs next year!!!

If Belicheck was coaching the Bengals would they have at least finished 8-8? We'll never know the answer to this, but what we do know is a playoff coach will almost always get a coaching award over a non playoff coach. Once again, its politics

#7, Belichick wouldn't have been able to accomplish near what Coach Lewis has done!! C'mon!! You realize the depths of hell this team was living in. You're right. It's about politics, and once again...politics suck!!

ummmm... I hate to do it, but I have to disagree. Not that Marvin Lewis didn't do a great job - he did. I think that, if the Bengals had won the division, Marvin Lewis would have been a lock on every CotY poll.

But Bill Belichick is also a very worthy recipient. His is the smartest team I've ever watched. They dramatically reconfigure to adapt to every opponent. Normally, they keep games close - just taking as much risk as necessary to win, which tends to make the SportCenter highlight guys overlook them. But last week they let the cat out of the bag a little. As Tom Jackson said that night, the Patriots basically picked the score they wanted, and just made it happen.

The thing is, a smart team really means a brilliant coach. And what makes it even more impressive is that it hasn't mattered who was playing. They've has injuries all year, and have made due with backups and rookies.

Don't get me wrong: Bill Belichick sucked as the Brown head coach; dresses like a bum; and has all the personality of a grave digger. But every so often, the local sports radio guys will ask him the right (or wrong) question, and he'll just blow you away with his answer: subtle, insightful, and comprehensive. The guy really is a football genius, and the Pats are (IMHO) way underestimated even now.

ummm.... Go Bengals!

ummmm... I hate to do it, but I have to disagree. Not that Marvin Lewis didn't do a great job - he did. I think that, if the Bengals had won the division, Marvin Lewis would have been a lock on every CotY poll.

But Bill Belichick is also a very worthy recipient. His is the smartest team I've ever watched. They dramatically reconfigure to adapt to every opponent. Normally, they keep games close - just taking as much risk as necessary to win, which tends to make the SportCenter highlight guys overlook them. But last week they let the cat out of the bag a little. As Tom Jackson said that night, the Patriots basically picked the score they wanted, and just made it happen.

The thing is, a smart team really means a brilliant coach. And what makes it even more impressive is that it hasn't mattered who was playing. They've has injuries all year, and have made due with backups and rookies.

Don't get me wrong: Bill Belichick sucked as the Brown head coach; dresses like a bum; and has all the personality of a grave digger. But every so often, the local sports radio guys will ask him the right (or wrong) question, and he'll just blow you away with his answer: subtle, insightful, and comprehensive. The guy really is a football genius, and the Pats are (IMHO) way underestimated even now.

ummm.... Go Bengals!

WOW! :o

I did not intend to defend the NE coach like you did, but I was going to say that a 1-3 December took some luster off of what a brilliant job coach Lewis did. :D

He should be at least #2 on everyone's list and #1 in AFC North circles. If we had played today then coach might have won the award. And he still might get the staples thingy.

Bengal future is so bright B)

LOL - what a relief! I thought I'd get blasted for posting that. I'm not in love with NE - not like I have been with the Bengals - but watching them almost every week has made me a believer. If the Pats don't go to the Superbowl, I'll be surprised.

I am hopeful about the Bengals future, though. If we can build the run defense, improve the secondary a little, and improve the running game a little, that might be enough to make the playoffs next year. Let's hope Marvin can draft as well as he done every thing else!

But Bill Belichick is also a very worthy recipient.

Completely agree. He took his team into the top of the NFL, increased five wins from last season -- yes yes I know Marvin had six -- over 40 guys injured throughout the season (hence 40 starters). I'm as big a Bengals fan as anyone, but the truth is, Marvin still has a season or so to go before he can dust off his trophy case for the biggest no point award ever.

In the end, I don't care what awards we get. I just want this franchise to turn around for GOOD!

Winning twelve in a row probably did it for Belichick. Unfortunately the Bengals were 1-3 in December and the KC win lost some of it's lustre since they lost a few more and it was in mid-November. However, the six game turnaround should've been given more consideration for coach Lewis. He is no. 1 in my book. Just remember who the coach was at NE before BB. It was Big Tuna. It isn't like NE was on the scrapheap and completely starting over. They just won the SB two years ago.

Winning twelve in a row probably did it for Belichick.

That is pretty hard to argue with isn't it ?????

This was Lewis' rookie year, and with all due respect he did have a couple of rookie moments ( as were well documented here ). What impressed me was that he learned along the way and didn't make the same mistake twice ...... not that I caught anyway. Winning the division would most likely have gotten him the award this year, but if this year was any glimpse of things to come, then he'll get it soon enough. Suffice to say that for the first time in a LLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOONNNG time that we're all happy with the coach we've got.