Backup Quarterback

chrishcovga

There was a time in the nfl ,that cornerback was the hardest position to fill. Over the last few years we've watched,as Defensive lineman became the hardest position to fill easily shown with how many defensive lineman have been drafted over the last 4 drafts in round 1.

But i think that the hardest position to fill now in the nfl is Backup Quarterback. Look at atlanta, when Vick got hurt.. his supposed good backup played like a pure bum.

The same goes for Jesse Palmer in New York. Ray Lucas ,and Brian Griese for the dolphins..Jarius Jackson for the Broncos.. and the list could go on and on...

Which brings me to Kitna....

There might be no other human Being on the planet that is more " disgusted" that he's an nfl quarterback.. still???

But i have to respect the job that he did this year,as well as the job he is about to do..

that job is too step down. The arguement before the season was " if we draft a quarterback 1st overall...,let him sit behind Kitna for a year, what if Kitna plays like a Probowler..?

Well as fate would have it.. Kitna did play like a probowler..(fooled even me), but the fact that in this modern nfl you have a starting quarterback willing....................to step down to his heir apparent,even restructuring his own contract to do that,speaks worlds for the type of player, and man Jon Kitna is.

With Backup quarterback being the hardest position to fill now in the N.F.L., Jon Kitna could do Carson Palmer and the Bengals team a world of good, by just hanging around for the

what if...

***dammit! I hate it when I get out pointed. Okay, okay. I'll get off Kitnas case...IF!!!...He will be the backup to Carson Palmer next season. I guess we could do much worse in the backup QB department. Time to change back my signature... :D

With Backup quarterback being the hardest position to fill now in the N.F.L

Great point Chris, but I disagree. While I've been Pro-Kitna staying in Cincinnati (Billy can second that), I'd rather have the other positions filled than Kitna staying. If that demands a trade, do it, if we can find a starter that will help our team, then logic suggests that we do it.

While Kitna is a great lockerroom guy and human being, and Dillon on his way out, I think that the other guys will pick up his slack. Hell Chad is in his own wierd way, Anderson definately is a team guy, this team is starting to develop into a team. The selfishness is disappearing and the team attitude, set in by Marvin, is taking form. Hopefully Carson would pick up the lockerroom role!

But if we can get Kitna for a defensive starter, then do it. There are plenty of 2nd tier QBs in the draft as well as a bunch of roamers in the FA.

But the likeliness of it happy, almost zero.

Look at the advantage bringing kitna back gives our offense.

We won't have to re-coach-re-teach- or re-anything to a guy coming in off the streets.. Next year would be his 4th year in the same system coming off of his best year.,and he would be our backup,if and i say If.. Palmer Struggles, or gets hurt.

Also the more obvious is,,it frees up cap-room for the future.. it extends his contract.. and it allows us to use a draft pick for another need...especially in the later rounds!

Shane mathews is more likely the guy on the "wire".

ok....we all know i'm a kitna believer and fan. the guy did wonders with this team. he's here to lead, win and help. and help he will as far as palmer is concerned. if he loses the starting job, he'll tutor and support palmer. and if the time comes, he'll play and lead with confidence. AND BOYS and GIRLS.... the rest of the team will rally around him. WHY...because they know HE is there for THEM !!!!! you can't ask for more than that. plus next year our team should be better and stronger overall......

I'm for bringing Kitna back. But offense isn't the problem, defense needs a complete rehaul.

Hate to disagree, but when you score 14 on Cleveland in a game that you need to stay alive in contention for the post season, .......... you've got problems on offense. Big ones. It may be a matter of depth ......... or as was also pointed out that the " depth " is in starting jobs, but it still points to problems.

No arguing that we need help on defense as well, but that's another post.

I've talked about Kitna on other threads, and for all the reasons I stated there, I think its imperative that we keep him.