Why not Charles Woodson

Btrester151

He is a free agent this year too...and I havent heard anybody mention his name. he wants a coach that controls a team, MARVIN LEWIS CONTROLS THIS TEAM!!!!!!!! He was making 2.4 mil this last year, how much do you think he will demand for this year? I say, BYE BYE Corey, hello 3 more million under the cap, and hello Charles Woodson!

lol, I feel ya man, i bleed scarlet myselft too....I just dont think we will get bailey because of the contract that arrington signed. I also heard that ray lewis is a free agent too????Whats up with that?could we afford that???lol.....My vote goes for........Pick up woodson, sapp and draft a linebacker. I really cant stand hardy

While all of those top notch guys would be an awesome pick up, I myself, believe that this team would benefit from a core development theory of picking up the young'ens in drafts instead of plugging through FA. This way we won't be guarentted a rebuilding year due to salary cap restrictions.

Sapp? While everyone here knows I'd rather take Gary Coleman as the DT than Sapp, he says he wants the money. There's not enough in Cincy for him.

Woodson? It would be awesome, but again, is one player worth consuming a large part of a salary where two, maybe three positions could be upgraded?

Ray-Ray? He signed a major extension a year or two ago, but our Raven pals can interject on this one.

Bailey? Possible, but same thought as Woodson.

I know these guys would awesome improvements, but I think Marvin wants this team developed from top to bottom. He'll fill in a few gaps with a few second tiers guys, but overall, this is his team and he loves the development aspect of the NFL.

That's just my ideology though.

Woodson works for me. I think Bailey's name is most-mentioned because of published rumors of a desire for Bailey on the Bengals' part (see PFW) and Marvin's previous knowledge of him from his time in DC.

That said, I think the chances we land Bailey or Woodson are right up there with that proverbial snowball in hell. Teams were horking up ludicrious coin for average DBs last year (Dry Bly, Corey Hall); blue-chippers like Bailey and Woodson are going to get franchise-player level bucks. And Bailey's likely to be outright franchise-tagged by DC, meaning he's going nowhere, which will only drive Woodson's price higher.

I hear you, but I just got to say. We need a FRANCHISE PLAYER ON D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if it cost us some cap room, so be it. I really dont think we will find the run stopper, or shut down corner that we need in this draft. I think that Marvin just needs to tell Mike Brown if you want to be playing in january and february next year, then "SHUT UP AND WRITE THE DAMN CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I hear you, but I just got to say. We need a FRANCHISE PLAYER ON D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, but I think Kirk's right that we need to find and develop that player, versus going whole hog in free agency this year.

I think that Marvin just needs to tell Mike Brown if you want to be playing in january and february next year, then "SHUT UP AND WRITE THE DAMN CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Regardless of whether or not we sign a "franchise" defensive player, this team will not be playing in Feb. 2005, and is very unlikely to be playing in Jan., IMHO. As I've said before, we're looking at our second major defensive overhaul in as many years, and we'll almost certainly have a (2nd year) rook as our starting QB. On top of *that,* we play 7 games against teams that made the playoffs this year (and an 8th vs. 10-6 Miami). Tuff sked. If the Bengals are 8-8 again in 2004, I'll consider them lucky.

If the Bengals are 8-8 again in 2004, I'll consider them lucky.

You know I had a long drawn out discussion about that at the water cooler -- yes we have a water cooler and you truly haven't lived until you have a water cooler -- and I found myself on both sides of that issue.

Firstly, if we are to compete, we'll have a new defense basically. But it will be an improved defense, honestly, could it get worse? Marvin will improve the personnel, but he'll be damned if the defense perform the same. But Leslie Frazier should be mentioned b/c of what he developed in Philly. I mean, well you see what Philly's secondary is like. So I think this defense will be incredibly improved.

Secondly, inasmuch everyone here hates Kitna, then Palmer can only be an improvement, right? I'm not so such about that myself, but I'll play to the masses this time. I think Palmer, with the expectations he has on him in this city could either fold (ala Klingler) or fly into the books for many years (most likely). His stronger arm will give way to deeper passes, ability to read quicker, etc, will only improve upon the mistakes that Kitna had last season.

On the flip side, the defense is pretty bad. An improvement might be noticeable, but then again it could take a full season before everything gels together and still a few players from creating the defense Frazier and Lewis want. If prophases play out, then our QB next season hasn't taken a meaningful snap, so there's an air of hesitation.

I can see both sides, but I'm leaning towards JoiseyCat on this one. I think this team is still a full season from being what we expect.

I was just reading some old post and read somthing that really "RE-PISSED" me off.........how we passed on sapp to get kijanna, and how we passed on bailey to get "SMITH???) but.........I guess u never know whats gonna happen after draft day........SO, with that being said, Which PROVEN Defensive FRANCHISE player do you think we could realistically get???? Sorry about my spelling....lol

Sorry about my spelling....lol

No worries, sometimes I have to type fast so my boss doesn't see me at this site all of the freakin' time -- yes, I'm addicted, what can I say? Hi My name is Josh and... and... (now sobbing) I go to the Bengalszone forum all the time...

In a way it stinks that we drafted poorly in those days, but then again, what difference would it have made? Brown would never had ponied up the $ to resigning them to long term deals.

I think Chris can better weight on this issue, he's the drafting expert.

Ray will never be a free agent. I think he's currently locked up through 2356, but they'll probably rework the contract in a few years and sign him through 3001. (Seeing as he is a machine, they figure the 1000 year contract is the way to go.)

I also agree with the posters who say the Bengals are a year away from being in the running. As I posted elsewhere, and I mean no disrespect, you guys won more games than you should have, the extra wins a function purely of coaching. The talent base on this team is just not there. If I was marvin, I would use this season's close call as motivtion, throw in the Franchise QB next year, get young players (that is don't blow money on older free agents regardless of talent) and build for the future. Next year, have a bumpy 7-9 season, then for the next 3 or 4 years after that you guys could get a wildcard (Sorry to say we're going to have this division on lockdown for the next decade). If the AFC South can produce two 12 win teams, no reason we can't too.

Hi, my name is Dave and I work from home...bwahahahahaha! I usually try to keep my bengalszone addiction under control, but judging from the number of voicemails I'm leaving (lots) and the number of calls returned (none) I'm about the *only* human being working this week, so what the hey. :)

I can see both sides

Me, too. On offense, I'm actually not too worried about Palmer per se, but I'm very uncomfortable with our situation at C and RG -- a strong o-line is imperative for a rookie QB -- and of course CD's imminent departure has turned the running game into a question mark. Is Rudi the answer.

The nightmare I have here goes something like this: Marvin Lewis spends big on defense in free agency (perhaps chasing Bailey or Woodson or some franchise guy like that) and draft all D on day one of the draft. The o-line isn't addressed in FA and not until day 2 of the draft. In training camp, various players are plugged in at C and RG, but in the end -- just like this year -- they decide to try to squeeze one more year out of the likes of Braham and Goff. It doesn't work. The two revert to 2002 form, getting blown off the line on a regular basis. (Or, alternatively, they get replaced with young guys who get blown up due to rookie mistakes.) Moreover, Rudi is ineffective as opposing teams stack the box to stop him, pressure the rookie QB, and force Palmer to beat them.

In short, next year becomes Tim Couch in Cleveland all over again. Ugh.

On defense, you're right, it can't get much worse (tho it was worse last year, at least in terms of points). But I don't see a big leap coming. There's just too little to build around right now. A case can be made (as you've noted elsewhere) for dumping just about every defensive starter. IF we can get a decent FA or 1st round corner, IF Weathersby can be an even average NFL CB next year, IF we resign Beckett, IF we find an answer at MLB and DT...and put it all together in a single offseason...well, that's a lot to ask. I think we can make a start, tho, and at least get this defense up to something like 20th in the rankings.

We definately have the talent for a sure 6 wins, but we are 11 guys short on defense, a QB in the making, a RB situation that may or maybe be resolved by 2004, etc. There are plenty of stories and situations that could evolve into those extra required wins.

Ray will never be a free agent. I think he's currently locked up through 2356, but they'll probably rework the contract in a few years and sign him through 3001.

Provided you guys have a team by then, certainly the trend of Baltimore teams aren't consistantly in one place. Just kidding guys.. man I can see Jam31 getting ready to fire off another one. Just playin' guys.