drafting defensive players

is it just me or do scouts put to much into measurables for defensive players and not enough into game ablity... over the last 3 years derrick johnson and david pollack have been the most dominating defensive players in college football

but the went 15, 17 in the draft. there where 6 D players choosen ahead

merriman was good in college not great but good beacuse of his measuables he went 12.ware played at troy st that alone should mean he dosen't get picked in round1 but he went a 11. thomas davis good player but carolina was stupid to pass on derrick johnson. it just really piss's me of that some ok players get drafted

ahead of great players because what they did in shorts not pads.

btw i'm really happy we got pollack i think he was a steal

I know you'll hate to hate it put in these terms, but you guys are using the Baltimore system now. Look at the success the Ravens have had drafting defensive players whose measurables made other teams look down on them despite great performance. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrel Suggs, and that's just the first round.

On the field performance is more important than measurables any day of the week (and twice on Sunday)

I know you'll hate to hate it put in these terms, but you guys are using the Baltimore system now. Look at the success the Ravens have had drafting defensive players whose measurables made other teams look down on them despite great performance. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrel Suggs, and that's just the first round.

On the field performance is more important than measurables any day of the week (and twice on Sunday)

Arizona is right. I wonder if Marvin Lewis's tenure as Baltimores defensive coordinator had anything to do with that?

is it just me or do scouts put to much into measurables for defensive players and not enough into game ablity... over the last 3 years derrick johnson and david pollack have been the most dominating defensive players in college football

but the went 15, 17 in the draft. there where 6 D players choosen ahead

merriman was good in college not great but good beacuse of his measuables he went 12.ware played at troy st that alone should mean he dosen't get picked in round1 but he went a 11. thomas davis good player but carolina was stupid to pass on derrick johnson. it just really piss's me of that some ok players get drafted

ahead of great players because what they did in shorts not pads.

btw i'm really happy we got pollack i think he was a steal

I agree with your point. B)

I have always liked a "play makers" philosophy that you are referring to. I think the Bengals should go after football player that make plays on the field not running in shorts!

With this years draft, we got several playmakers on the field -- Pollack, Thurman, and Henry.

Note that it was not just defensive playmakers -- Henry is a good offensive playmaker. And for that matter, Tab Perry is also a playmaker -- but not as dramatic as Henry.

IMO Pollack and Thurman will begin showing a payoff, on the field, early in the coming season. -- at least I hope they do -- because they could help make us an outstanding defense. :P :player:

I believe all teams that draft well do this.

Every year you see a player benchpress 225 five zillion times,or a 6-6 245 guy runs(Matt Jones)a 4.4,and they shoot up the boards,despite either never having played the position,or having a mediocre college career.

Teams that draft that way drive me nuts.That's why when the Bengals drafted Ratliff and Williams in the second in 2004 I wasn't worried.I remember critics stating Ratliff was "too slow",but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm glad that's the way they draft now.I'm not sure what their criteria was pre-Marvin,but it sucked.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the Bengals should go after football player that make plays on the field not running in shorts!

I agree - however, a lot of analysts have mentioned that the Bengals are not only drafting "playmakers," - the are also drafting more athletic, faster players in the mold that Marvin prefers. I think the Bengals have been willing to take a chance on players with minor character issues (nothing like being a drug dealer or ignoring a murder) because Marvin believes he has the leadership qualities to straighten them out. This has given the Bengals some players who have athletic ability AND can play the game.

Why would we hate to put it in those terms? Marvin Lewis was a part of drafting many of the great players on the Ratbirds roster. One of the reasons he was hired was that he was a part of putting together one of the most dominant defenses in the history of the league (just behind the 85 bears).

It's interpretation. Marvin wasn't part of the drafting process, beyond making evaluations. All the drafting credit goes to Ozzie and formerly Phil Savage. I don't give Billick any of the credit either.

It's interpretation. Marvin wasn't part of the drafting process, beyond making evaluations. All the drafting credit goes to Ozzie and formerly Phil Savage. I don't give Billick any of the credit either.

Making evaluations is the most important part of the draft foolio. Except of course making the signings after the draft and then coaching them up above their ability.