Nascar the sport for the common man!

BengalszoneBilly

Link

According to a year-end poll done by a national sports magazine, NASCAR chairman Brian France is the second most powerful man in sports, behind only National Football League commissioner Paul Taglibue.

Sure, France is ushering in a new era in NASCAR, what with the Chase for the Nextel Cup, Nextel replacing Winston as the title sponsor, the new schedule, the upcoming race in Mexico and more rule changes than any of us can keep track of.

Still, it may be something else that has helped NASCAR leap over the other major sports.

Namely, the other major sports.

It wasn't but a scant few years ago that we all were hearing about we were living in the "Golden Age of Sports." ESPN is a household word -- and even the name of a couple of very unfortunate babies.

Countless other sports networks are fighting for our attention -- two dozen or so on "the dish." Bench players are making millions of dollars even before they can legally have their first drink.

Now, it seems like things have finally spun out of control.

The NHL isn't playing, even though it's January.

The NBA is doing its best impression of English soccer, complete with hooligans.

Major League Baseball is trying to wiggle out of a steroid scandal that threatens the legitimacy of not only its records, but of the sport itself.

Even Taglibue's NFL is busy wiping egg off its face despite the fact that Randy Moss is throwing it around every chance he gets.

And that's just the past couple of months.

Meanwhile, NASCAR's biggest controversies in 2004 were why fans at Talladega would throw beer cans at Jeff Gordon and why Dale Earnhardt Jr. had to curse in Victory Lane.

Kind of like comparing robbery to a parking ticket.

Ryan Smithson and I were having lunch the other day at the Dawsonville Pool Hall, (yes, that one), when the topic of NASCAR's popularity came up.

More specifically, what is it about this sport that has made it so popular?

Above the cars and the speed and the beer, isn't it really that you can relate to these guys? You know they make money, but you don't know how much.

You know they like a good party, but you rarely hear about them taking it over the line. You see their girlfriends up on the pit boxes every week. You know the names of parents and their kids.

Could it be that NASCAR's marketing machine is that powerful, or that the racing media is that naïve? Perhaps, but ask yourself this:

Can you picture yourself at a frat party doing kegstands with Dale Earnhardt Jr.?

Can you picture Jamie McMurray ringing the doorbell to pick up your daughter?

Can you picture Kasey Kahne or Kyle Busch coming over to mow your lawn?

Now try to picture Barry Bonds, Moss or Ron Artest doing those things.

Didn't think so.

Actually, I can't relate to those guys at all. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend their life driving cars in circles!

Yes, I know I'm being overly simplistic.

The sport just doesn't appeal to me is all.

Hey now. They do turn right...sometimes. Like at the 2 road courses a year and of course when someone wrecks them. ;-)

Actually, I can't relate to those guys at all. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend their life driving cars in circles!

You do drive a car, don't you? Daily?

Although, I think the point of their article isn't relating to a choosen profession, rather being able to sit around and BS, have a beer, BBQ, etc as opposed to other professional athletes.

Actually, I can't relate to those guys at all.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend their life driving cars in circles! 

You do drive a car, don't you? Daily?

Although, I think the point of their article isn't relating to a choosen profession, rather being able to sit around and BS, have a beer, BBQ, etc as opposed to other professional athletes.

Oh, I know. I was being deliberately obtuse.

I still felt that point was a little silly, though. I don't care if I meet the most amazing person I've ever come across. They may share all my interests, have great opinions, like good music, and share all of my religious beliefs.

Still...if they spend their days as a CPA accountant working for a legal firm, don't expect me to spend any of my time watching it! For me, Nascar races and accounting are about on the same level, with a slight edge to accounting if a gun were pointed at my head and I were forced to decide.

I'm not the biggest Nascar fan(but I am a fan) but one thing I see is that Nascar pays attention to it's fans, and even tries to cater to them some. That is why nascar is climbing quickly. Name any other sport where the fans still have some say.

Exactly. This is the only sport I know that will modify the rules if something is in need of change that WEEK (green/white/checkered finishes, or freezing the field at caution rather than at the start/finish line)!

I believe I've gome on this rant before, but here we go again. Sports have almost completely forgotten about the fan. Just like the police or government officials. I tell them all the time "you work for me, buddy. My taxes pays your salary. Well, my tickets pay for thier salary, and about all of professional sports, athletes, owners, agents, and anyone else involved have forgotten that without the fans you have nothing. I would expect baseball to realize this some, but no. And now football is treading in that same direction.

T.O.doesn't get his millions if we don't come and see him and don't buy his jersey. But see if he thinks that

Of course, I don't think most fans realize it either.

I believe I've gome on this rant before, but here we go again. Sports have almost completely forgotten about the fan. Just like the police or government officials. I tell them all the time "you work for me, buddy. My taxes pays your salary. Well, my tickets pay for thier salary, and about all of professional sports, athletes, owners, agents, and anyone else involved have forgotten that without the fans you have nothing. I would expect baseball to realize this some, but no. And now football is treading in that same direction.

T.O.doesn't get his millions if we don't come and see him and don't buy his jersey. But see if he thinks that

Of course, I don't think most fans realize it either.

I agree. And thats why i love NASCAR so much. The drivers relize that it is the fans that make this sport and i think NASCAR relizes that too. I mean i was just at a Tony Stewart signing a couple of weeks ago and there were 700 people there just to get an autograph. And Tony said it right that night. He said it is the fans that make this sport what it is.