Who can we least afford to lose?

derekshank

I think we talked a bit about this before, but it revolved mostly around the offense, and since we are so deep on offense, and our defense is the real question mark for this team, it seems to me that the defensive side of the ball is where we can least afford injury.

For me, I know he hasn't played a game with the Bengals yet, but if Bryan Robinson were to get injured in training camp, it would be a real blow to my confidence in this team's playoff chances.

Askew is unproven and can't stay healthy, and Robinson is now the guy who is supposed to be the answer to our rushing defense woes. I think other guys would hurt to lose too (Madieu, Herring, Geathers), but Robinson carries the most weight in my mind.

Losing one player on defense isnt going to hurt.. thats what depth is for..

We ARE going to lose some players due to injury.. Its a given so the backups better perform when theyre called....

Agreed, which is why I am most concerned about losing Robinson. Where's the depth? Every team loses players to injury, but some are more important that others. We are deep in the secondary, and have quite a few decent LB's and DE's, but where are those DT's?

Losing either Robinson or Thornton will be killer. I just say it will hurt more to lose Robinson, because he is supposed to be the run stopper the team needs, and with Thornton continuing to shed those pounds, he is becoming less likely to be able to fill that side adequately.

Based off last year's performance and the amount of game changing momentum plays, then I'm going with pro-bowl corner back, Tory James. Sure, he got toasted at times, but everyone on our defense gave up long runs, missed sacks, missed tackles, and allowed 50 yard touchdown runs/passes.

However, I'd probably fall back on Simmons if we look over a 2-3 year span. He's not great, doesn't make you go shock-n-awe, nor is he the story Monday morning. But he's consistent and has the veteran leadership on his side. He's a Bengals foo life.

Madieu Williams - not so much because of the drop-off in production to another FS, but because it will slow his development into the All-pro status he's capable of attaining.

We can't afford to lose anyone at this point as our depth at any position is not there... There is a big drop off and can't say as I would be anywhere near comfortable with any of our starters going down. Madieu, James, O'Neil, Robinson, the list goes on. Fortunately last year, the rookies played up when they had to. To expect that to happen every year is unrealistic at best. Injuries on D scare the S**T out of me and IMHO, put our season in jeopardy...

And the Bengals pull out another shootout 56-52........ Be prepared....

WHODEY !!!

Finally! A thread on the Bengals defense! No matter what anyone else says, THIS is what will make or break the Cincinnati Bengals this season. Offense, offense, blah, blah, blah. Without a defense to go with it, you're just another LOSER!

You don't believe me? Check out Peyton Mannings hand. There's a reason there's no Super Bowl ring on it. Defense! Indy had none, and New England had one. All those TD passes Manning threw in the season ended up to be worthless. Yes, he got an NFL record. Ask Dan Marino if he'd like to trade in all his records for a ring. You know what the answer is before you even ask it!

<_< Is this math too difficult? It's shouldn't be.

1 good offense plus 1 good defense = Super Bowl success.

1 great offense plus 1 marginal defense = frustrating your fans in the playoffs, or worse, with a Super Bowl loss! I cannot deal with that frustration a third time!

***All of the above of course is IMHO. :D

Finally! A thread on the Bengals defense! No matter what anyone else says, THIS is what will make or break the Cincinnati Bengals this season. Offense, offense, blah, blah, blah. Without a defense to go with it, you're just another LOSER!

You don't believe me? Check out Peyton Mannings hand. There's a reason there's no Super Bowl ring on it. Defense! Indy had none, and New England had one. All those TD passes Manning threw in the season ended up to be worthless. Yes, he got an NFL record. Ask Dan Marino if he'd like to trade in all his records for a ring. You know what the answer is before you even ask it!

<_< Is this math too difficult? It's shouldn't be.

1 good offense plus 1 good defense = Super Bowl success.

1 great offense plus 1 marginal defense = frustrating your fans in the playoffs, or worse, with a Super Bowl loss! I cannot deal with that frustration a third time!

***All of the above of course is IMHO. :D

Good post billy...

The Bengals have always tried to succeed on great offense and an overacheiving defense. That is why I loved the Marvin Lewis hire. Hopefully in the next couple of years, these ML draft picks will take control.

Hopefully in the next couple of years, these ML draft picks will take control.

I want to see the Bengals with a killer "D" much more than a killer "O." We've had killer "O's" before, and it's only left us "O"-fer in the Super Bowl! :angry:

I want to see the Bengals with a killer "D" much more than a killer "O." We've had killer "O's" before, and it's only left us "O"-fer in the Super Bowl! :angry:

Me too... I posted a month or two ago that growing up a Buckeye's fan has given me a love for stout and aggressive defense more than a high flying explosive offense. I guess having one is better than neither, which was the case in the 90's, but if I could choose, a hard-hitting smash mouth defense is much more intimidating than Peyton Manning's offense.

If Peyton Manning beats you, the worst that has happened is 6 points. If Ray Lewis beats you, you could be on a stretcher. There is something about great defense that strikes the fear of God even in masterful offenses. That is why the Pollack and Thurman picks were so great in my opinion. I hope we keep drafting those kind of aggressive smash mouth guys... I want to see other teams look afraid of being hurt, not just out-scored.

I think on a defense that is void of any superstars right now, there is no huge loss. Simmons maybe, but if healthy I believe Landon Johnson can step right in. If I had to pick someone I would say Madieu, without Madieu how many 7-8 yard runs would turn into 30-40 yard runs.

I think on a defense that is void of any superstars right now, there is no huge loss.

Interesting thought... I hadn't really looked at it that way before. If you think about it, the Patriots had no "superstars" when they went to the superbowl the first time. They had a scheme that worked, and a bunch of role players that trusted the other role players to play their roles. Bruschi and a couple other guys became known as "superstars", but that is primarily because they were so successful as a team.

If our defensive scheme works this year, and we have even merely adequate players to fill the roles of the scheme, and guys who are willing to trust other guys to make plays (and those other guys actually make those plays), then we could be pretty decent. The "superstar" titles will come with success. Urlacher is still known as a "superstar" because of a single dominating year with the Bears defense.

Perhaps Marvin Lewis was right when he said on bengals.com today:

“You’re not going to close the gap with people. You close the gap in how you do it. That’s a copout saying you do it with people. You do it with how you do it, when you do it, and how good you are at it.”

If that's the case, let's hope Bresnahan knows what he's doing!

i disagree with that theory right now. we dont have that great of depth on defense that if a couple players went down we'd be fine. we wouldnt be as good with KK out there than Williams.

i disagree with that theory right now. we dont have that great of depth on defense that if a couple players went down we'd be fine. we wouldnt be as good with KK out there than Williams.

I agree that if you lose important players, it will hurt. Kaesviharn is not nearly as good at Williams, but I doubt Marvin would be stupid enough to put his name on the line with a comment like that if he didn't believe it.

In essence, he has taken away the injury excuse from the defense's production. I think there are a few players out there that will really hurt this team if we lose... but Marvin seems to think that the scheme is good enough to succeed even without our best talent on the field every game... or am I misreading his comment?

we have good solid depth at all positions on offense now...by this time next year we'll same the same on both sides of the ball. theres only so much u can do in 1 offseason. thats why its taken 3 to get to this point and not one. next year will be our perfect year...this year if we do better than just make the playoffs its a bonus.