Just In warren sapp may be a bengal next year

bengal fan

just in in warren sapp may play for bengals next year , tv is blowing it up right now ,marvin has already talked to sapp , what do you think guys.

Where are they saying they got this from ?????

I can't believe that coach Lewis would be interested in Sapp. When he ( Lewis ) was with Washington, he benched Bruce Smith. Compared to Sapp, Smith is the epitome of a team player.

If they did talk it probably went.

Sapp - Yo coach wassup ? Hey man I might be free to come to Cincy if you know what I mean. And I've always admired you and been a fan of yours an all so I thought ....

Coach Lewis - Yeah .... uuuhhhhhhhh Warren. Nice to talk to you. Hey I'm right in the middle of something right now, so how about if we call you back ???? Yeah. I'll have my people call your people. We'll do lunch sometime. Right after the season.

Hell No? Like this defense doesn't need a lightning rod. I disagree. I hope he does. I think he and Marvin would end up on the same page, both being defensive minded. Warren would be perfect to help this defense go to the next level! They cannot stay at the level their at.

Warren said what he said because he hates to lose. You can't deny that's a commodity in short supply on the defensive side of the ball here in Cincy. He's worth the chance. He's a catalyst, and you can't play it safe all the time.

Let me ask you this... who's the defensive anchor man at this moment for the Bengals? Tim Reid? David Fulcher? Anthony Munoz? Takeo Spikes?...

...Yeah. That's what I thought. The position is open to fill, and he would be THE MAN for the job. You're cutting your nose off to spite your face here! Don't you think Marvin would have the guide lines laid out plainly for Warren? You might not like the idea, but sometime the medicine tastes worse than cure.

Few opportunities for a pivotal free agent present themselves. Especially one's that can change the outlook of a game, as he's proven he can do. This is most definitely one of those moments.

Mike Brown, if you want the Super Bowl Trophy in the Queen City during your tenure, sign Warren Sapp. He's got ATTITUDE, and I'll be damned if that ain't just what the defense needs! B)

Hell No? Like this defense doesn't need a lightning rod. I disagree. I hope he does.

Do you remember the wrath Corey got when he made his comments? Imagine hearing that weekly with more intensity. Super Bowl doesn't mean you have Sapp on that team either, other than the one won recently, they were the most overrated team all of which Sapp was on.

Sapp is damn good, I'll give him props, but he doesn't fit with our team. He's outspoken, the rest speak on the field. There would be limited chemistry in the lockerroom, constant bickering and he's too much money for a lineman -- this would take from the rest of the positions.

He's above the team, he's the guy that wouldn't lead the team rather put them down. He has no ability to encourage his teammates unless they are all-stars. Marvin wouldn't go for this, I can guarenette. Marvin wants a guy full of team players than a player that defines the team.

I don't usually disagree with you Billy, but this time I had to speak out.

I'm with Kirkendall on this one. We want a team. The comments made by CD were bad enough. Sapp reminds me of the guy on the ESPN commercial growling about the team loss saying he can't carry the team. The reporter asks him about his 4 turnover and he says someone on the team should have recoved them. I am sure you guys have seen it many times.

Gimme Will Smith over WS any day. Maybe that means we have to trade down to get him but he would be a treat to watch. Plus he is a Buckeye!

The comments made by Corey had absolutely zero effect on the team. Why? Marvin contained it, and proved the team and himself through it.

You're forgetting Marvin is a great people person. He handled Ray Lewis didn't he, and look at the force that man is! Have you forgotten that already? Do you think Warren Sapp has anything on HIM? I think not.

I respect everyones opinion here, but I really think this is a grand opportunity to improve the team. Especially where we need it most. B)

The comments made by Corey had absolutely zero effect on the team. Why? Marvin contained it, and proved the team and himself through it.

Exactly the reason I don't think Marvin would bring in someone 10 times worse than Dillon. And it does have an effect on the team in the locker room and unity, all objects without stats.

You're forgetting Marvin is a great people person. He handled Ray Lewis didn't he

Marvin got to Ray before Ray Lewis became a house hold name. There was a bond from the beginning and Marvin molded Ray; Ravens fans can chine in on this one. BTW - Ray is a team leader, Sapp is all about himself and when you make discrimiatory comments about the league as he does, I don't think any Bengal higher up wants him. Mike Brown doesn't handle critics within the team, ie Pickens Clause (Brown still the final word on who comes here, Marvin isn't the GM just yet).

If Marvin can get Sapp to shutup every hour while he's on contract and help this team towards a common goal, then I'm for it. But what Sapp has made himself look as, the label that he put on himself, then no, I think Sapp would definately hurt this team more. He wouldn't bring the team together. He's a great tackle but this team is not good enough to continously tackle distractions.

BTW - Ray is a team leader, Sapp is all about himself and when you make discrimiatory comments about the league as he does, I don't think any Bengal higher up wants him.  Mike Brown doesn't handle critics within the team, ie Pickens Clause (Brown still the final word on who comes here, Marvin isn't the GM just yet). 

If Marvin can get Sapp to shutup every hour while he's on contract and help this team towards a common goal,

You came up with the same name that I did when thinking this over. Pickens. Problem with Sapp is the same as it was with Pickens. Both of them turned on their coach and their team. If they did it once, they'll do it again.

Coach Lewis spent a lot of time on Dillon this year doing damge control and personality enhancement. Problem is, that is time he could have spent on other things that could have benefited the team more. Adding Sapp ( if Marvin can get him to shut up every hour ) would take even more time. I'm sure Gruden had rules and guidelines in place for Sapp as was suggested that Lewis would have. In the end, what good did it do ?? The potential for damage is great enough that it outweighs any positive that could come from having him on the team.

As long as Dillon was added to this conversation to illustrate how well Marvin Lewis could handle people, maybe we should wait to see if he's still here next year. I'm not convinced he will be, and I don't know if it would be due to his inability to run the ball consistently, or to keep his trap shut.

I had mentioned this in another thread: The way Marvin Lewis has turned this team around, we will attract quality FAs for a change.

Whether Sapp is a team player or not, he is an impact player. Does anyone think he would've been interested in playing for the Coslet or LeBeau Bengals???

Our Bengals are back and they are going to be the best ever! I have absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever....we will win Super Bowls with Marvin Lewis running the show!

We are back!!

I just did a quick peruse of the major NFL sites but didn't see anything related to Sapp and the Bengals. Where was this rumor mentioned?

Topic starter was bengalfan. I asked the same question, but it never got mentioned again till now.

How about it bengalfan ???? where'd you pick up this info ???

BengalBobNC - while we're waiting, as to your post. I think the Bengals are back as well. Kirk has pointed out correctly that we've had this kind of hope before only to see it dashed the next season. I got to admit that while I'm firmly on the bandwagon, I do keep checking for rattles. Old habits die hard I guess.

I'm anxious to see the activity in the off season. The changes in the office and on the field that went on prior to this season really got me going and it hasn't stopped yet. If we do as well in the draft and free agency as we did this year and coach Lewis works them the same way ...... Lot of ifs I know, but I'm still optimistic. With the teams we're slated to play next year, no one will have any doubts that we're legit. Coming off a tough season with a good record and getting to the playoffs is the best way I can think of to lose the image we've built over the last decade or so.

As to Sapp, you said it yourself. He's not a team player. He's what Marvin would call selfish, and he just doesn't like that sort. There are a couple of guys that could attest to that, but I'm not sure who they play for now ...... except that it ain't us. Whether the Bengals have grown to the level that Sapp would be interested in us is beside the point. Now it's more rather if the Bengals are interested in Sapp, and I think the answer is no.

Kirk: If I was you, Id want him, take it from me, while Ray was definitely "groomed" by Marvin, Big Sam Adams was not. He was called lazy and not a team player and he bought into Marvin's team concept as soon as we signed him. If you get Sapp, Marvin will get the most out of him and I dont mean verbally.

If you guys got Sapp and a shutdown corner, well those would really go a long way in solidifying your defense. A couple of true pass rushers wouldn't hurt either...

Just my two cents...

GO RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When players get more pull than the coaches there are problems. That will not happen with Marvin. After 13 years of misery, Marvin has already reached sainthood. He can pick and choose. Plus already getting rid of supposed big shot's (Spikes) and high draft picks (Smith, Wilson) and still excelling there is no question he is in charge. Count on this, Dillon will be gone too. There is no question whose team this is. It's Marvins. YOu have to be on his page or your gone. Palmer hasn't even seen the field this year, and he's the #1 pick of the draft. He'd whip Sapp's ass if he got out of line.

Have to agree. Marvin does get to pick and choose. He was already doing it before the start of this season, and the way things have gone kind of proves he was right on who got to stay and who " got opportunities somewhere else".

How are you doing Jam31 ??? Funny that you would mention Adams. He came to Cincy and said in the paper that he would like to play for coach Lewis again. Evidently Marvin wan't as enamored with the idea as Sam was, cause he didn't get the job. He's had a good year at Buffalo. So has Spikes. But to use Spikes own words " what's their record ? " Marvin knew both of them, and passed on them. They're on a team with a losing record, and the guys Marvin did hire aren't. Like I've said before that's why he gets to coach and we get to watch.

If I haven't said it before, I'd like to thank the Bills, the Bucs, and everyone else who passed on Marvin Lewis. Thank You.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. I think Spikes didn't even offer to give Lewis a chance, he wanted to leave so bad and saw the greenies on the horizon. Marvin kind of spent it to reflect Spikes unwillingness to work through it and all Spikes did was bitch bitch bitch... I don't like Takeo, at all. I think he's what reflects problems in sports, it's about money, not the sport. He's a mules ass.

Hobson had a real interesting piece on the early realtionship between Spikes and coach Lewis. When Hobson pressed the point, Marvin told him to turn off the tape recorder and he'd tell him exactly what he thought of Spikes. You can imagine, if it had been good then it wouldn't have been off the record. When he was done. Hobson said Does Spikes know this ??? Marvin replied " I've said everything to him that I've said to you." Again, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to get the direction that the converation had been headed in.

Thing is that everybody was so busy listening to Spikes talk about how bad he wanted to leave that nobody got around to wondering if he would have been asked to stay in the first place. I may be wrong, but I don't think Marvin wanted Spikes from day one. His only comment about Spikes deal from the Bills was " that's an awful lot of money for a linebacker that doesn't rush the quarterback."

Spikes got his dosh. Lewis got his new players. We got our winning season ( or will have ) and everbody's happy. There is one thing I have to admith though. I've been in the Marines, and a drill sgt in the Army Reserve, and I've never in my life heard someone called a " mules ass ". With your permission though I plan to add it to my repertoire. God that just cracks me up.

BengalBobNC - while we're waiting, as to your post. I think the Bengals are back as well. Kirk has pointed out correctly that we've had this kind of hope before only to see it dashed the next season. I got to admit that while I'm firmly on the bandwagon, I do keep checking for rattles. Old habits die hard I guess.

Any Bengal fan who, like me, stuck by the team during the dark years have a right to be cautious. I remember thinking plenty of times "just wait 'till next year" only to see it blow up early on. However, the Bengals approached this season like no other in their history. Katie and Mike have seen what Marvin Lewis has done for the team and the fans. The players responded to Marvin and look, with one week to go we are NOT eliminated from the playoffs. We can still get in. We haven't even thought things like that since 1990!

The unexpected things will always be there to ruin a season: an unfortunate injury or injuries, whatever. Every team deals with that. But we are finally on the right track. It's been a l-o-n-g time coming. But I am excited and proud of our team!

I am going to have to disagree with Jam and others who think Sapp would be a good addition to the Bengals. The man has an ego the size a large truck. There is no counterbalancing force, and as good a coach as Marvin Lewis is, he is a coach and not another player. This is why I think Sapp would work in Baltimore. A Ray Lewis could keep a Warren Sapp in check. I expect that Sapp would defer to Ray to some extent in Baltimore (as they are old Miami buddies). On your team, Sapp would become that loudest voice. Not sure if that is best.

You guys need to be patient and build through the draft, and I'm sure you will. This will put some peoples panties in bunch, but you guys will become Baltimore West. Jacksonville is already turning into Baltimore South. The Billick/Ozzie method, one that works, is being used by those who leave this organization and revitalize other organizations. Build through the Draft, motivate and focus on chemistry, treat the players as men. Del Rio and Lewis's coaching styles are not identical to Billick's, but the imprint is there (The same way I'm sure Billick picked up pieces of Bill Walsh). If you guys follows the "Baltimore Blueprint" we'll be slugging it out for the division for years and years to come.

How many threads have I seen here with people begging for a big, game-changing DT?

Sapp has a big mouth, true. He annoys me a lot with his talk, but his game is great. Whether or not to get him will come down to two things between Marvin and Mike:

1. $$$$ If we don't have to shell out a fortune, he's a good pickup.

2. Team unity. Marvin will talk to him. If he thinks he can handle his 'tude, he'll bring him in. If Marvin thinks he's a distraction, he won't. Simple. I trust Marvin to make that choice and his ability to incorporate Sapp into HIS program.

Bottom line, Sapp would make our defense much better. Won't get pushed around, causing a muddle in the middle that's hard for a back to run through. Takes blockers off the linebackers, allowing them to run laterally and contain the outside run.

Pass rush? He would be huge for the Bengals. Smith and Clemons have been charging hard upfield all year, inches from the QB, but they've still had time to throw on us because our DT's have been manhandled out of the middle leaving incredible pocket space for QB's to step into. Sapp won't get the sacks, but he'll help collapse the pocket and contain the QB from escaping.

Sapp and a young DT in the draft would be huge for this team.